Ruby Princess not scheduling LGBTQ meetups each day? Why not?

mjs99mjs

I'm used to seeing a daily meetup for LGBTQ published in The Princess Patter each day - usually in the Crown Grill Bar at 5:00. I checked my Medallion app for my upcoming cruise on the Ruby Princess and didn't see it. I've heard secondhand that the cruise director says that they don't schedule them every day any more - just 2 or 3 times per cruise and usually on the first sea day. 

I'm pretty disappointed to hear this and don't know if there is anything I can do about it. Because I am traveling solo, I rely on attending on embarkation day so I can make some connections and hopefully not have to dine alone. 

Any thoughts? 

Hi!  We were on the Grand Princess for 15 days in Dec 2019 and the LGBTQ+ Meet-up was listed in the Patter every day.  We met in the Wheelhouse at 5:00pm.  We had a HUGE group (sailing out of SF 😉) so they probably asked Guest Services to keep it posted.  

Ruby Princess is sailing out of SF right now so hopefully you will have a similar experience!  We will be on her Jan 16 2022 and are looking forward to the meet ups again!  Even if the meetings weren't listed after the first few days, I bet they were still meeting there.  Happy sailing!!

Edited by MishelleMcc
add
  • Like 1

That was our experience on a 5 day to Cabo out of SF on the Grand in January 2019, just before the shutdown. I was hugely disappointed as we had a regular daily group on the 10 day Mexico on the Grand in December 2018.

Fingers crossed for January. (Luckily, we'll be part of a group of 8, but we still enjoy them.)
Especially on a cruise like this with so many sea days, having the regular GLBT get-together helped make it a regular daily event in our daily plans. 

• Like 2

FYI, I think I've recently read that we can contact the CD and ask they help us keep it posted in the Patter.  I think the DC for Ruby is DuVaul Isreal Gamble.  But read that Caroline "Frenchie" Desbuquois will be the CD on Nov 27th.  When are you guys sailing?

I can't speak to this line, but on my last cruise (NCL Breakaway), we actually changed the settings on our own.  We were scheduled for an inside lounge, but the music was always too loud.  When the line changed the time, we all decided we'd just do 8:00 at the bar outside of that lounge every night, no matter what.  Worked well.  If you have a good group the first night, agree on a time/place every night, so that no matter what, you know where/when to meet up whether it's listed or not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sailing on the 22nd. Apparently you can't email the CD directly. So, I found Princess on Twitter and sent a message. This got a quick response and follow up. I requested a meetup every night and they said that will be happening, even listing times and locations for me. Just waiting for them to show up in JourneyView on the Medallion app. Thanks everyone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

On a short sailing out of LA next week (on Majestic) and I'm seeing the meet up at 5:30 pm daily at the Crown Grill Bar.

Nice to see that showing up on a four-night cruise and it appears there are already folks who have the time bookmarked (according to the Medallion app).

It's my and my friend's first time with Princess, so hoping for a good bunch. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, tlc1972 said:

On a short sailing out of LA next week (on Majestic) and I'm seeing the meet up at 5:30 pm daily at the Crown Grill Bar.

Nice to see that showing up on a four-night cruise and it appears there are already folks who have the time bookmarked (according to the Medallion app).

It's my and my friend's first time with Princess, so hoping for a good bunch. 

First time on Princess?  I think you will like it!  We sure do!  have a blast and let us know how you liked it!!!  Happy Sailing!

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 6:16 AM, mjs99mjs said:

Sailing on the 22nd. Apparently you can't email the CD directly. So, I found Princess on Twitter and sent a message. This got a quick response and follow up. I requested a meetup every night and they said that will be happening, even listing times and locations for me. Just waiting for them to show up in JourneyView on the Medallion app. Thanks everyone.

How did it work out?  

We'll be on the Ruby for the 10 night Mexican cruise on Jan 6. It's a "Logical Family Cruise" for myself and my husband, our three "gay kids" and their partners/husbands - eight in all (seven of us will be in three adjoining minisuites). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

How did it work out?  

We'll be on the Ruby for the 10 night Mexican cruise on Jan 6. It's a "Logical Family Cruise" for myself and my husband, our three "gay kids" and their partners/husbands - eight in all (seven of us will be in three adjoining minisuites). 

How Fun!!!  I know of two more (G & L)  that will be on your cruise!  You will have a great group!  We will be boarding when you disembark on the 16th!!  Have a great time!!

• Like 1