Best Snorkeling: Barbados, Dominica or Aruba?

Cruising_Bride

We're going on the Carnival Destiny in late April. We're getting married in St Thomas and would like to do a snorkeling excurion at one of the other islands (Barbados, Dominica, Aruba).

Which one has the best snorkeling - as in, easy, lots to see etc. We will have a large group and most of them have never snorkeled or only been a couple times.

Also, can you recommend a specific excursion or company to use at any of these islands?

Thanks!

I can't answer your question directly, but my family and I did go snorkeling at both Trunk Bay (St. John) and Paradise Island (Aruba) when we sailed the Destiney 2 years ago. Both had their advantages and disadvantages. Trunk bay was warmer water, calmer water (smooth as glass) and a walk out from the beach. You could go out to where the water was well below standing depth, I don't remember the exact depth, but maybe 20 feet or so? Paradise Island was colder water and very choppy. It was a little windy that day, so that might account for the choppy water. The coral was everywhere and never more than 3 feet deep. I found myself having to avoid it all the time. The fish however were much bigger at Paradise Island and definilty more plentiful.

I liked Trunk Bay better by far because I loved the beach and swimming there as a whole with the ability to do snorkeling...so did my son (9 at the time). My wife liked Paradise Island better because of the fish.

I know that didn't directly help answer your question, but hopefully it will help with other responces.

I Have snorkeled on all 4 islands and I totally agree, Trump bay has the best snorkeling and beaches, if i could i would build a hut and live right on the trunk, but sense you don't have that choice than i will give you my experiences: in Dominica my personal opinion would be the champagne reef, nice and warm with hot bubbles all around you but there is no beach, just a very rocky shore line so it is difficult to get to unless you are taking the ships shore excursion. Barbados, i really have not found the perfect snorkel spot here so we just alaways end up out at the boatyard, they do have a small snorkel area but lots of other fun stuff to do in it's place.

Aruba (my favorite port) Baby beach has some good snorkeling but it tends to get crowded when the ships arrive.

I hope this helped you a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived