White Pass Railway in Skagway?

kruseguy

Hi there!

We are going on the June 17th Alaskan cruise on the Summit. While we are in Skagway - which is better to do - thake the White Pass Railway or take the "To the Summit!" bus trip to the Summit? Also would be be better to book the earlier 8:30 am trip or go later in the day?

Thanks,

Kruiseguy

The railroad is a far better trip (and far more expensive - sometimes you do get what you pay for). The WP&YR is not only the most popular excursion in Alaska (and has been for most of the past century), it's rated by railfans as one of the top 10 railway trips on earth. You just don't get photos like http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/steamex.html from the road. The time of day doesn't really matter (though most of my dozen or so trips have been mornings, which I prefer for the photograhic light).

Murray

Murray--those pictures are beautiful!! Now, I really can't wait for our trip! We booked thru Chilkoot Tours but are doing the train ride up and the bus back by way of Emerald Lake. Thanks again for the pictures.....what type of camera do you use?

Thanks - the pictures on that page were shot with film, using a Nikon 801s. Three years ago I went digital with a Nikon Coolpix 4300, and a couple of months ago moved way up to a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I'm itching to get pics from the Rebel online!

Murray

Yukon: Are the shots with the track centered in the picture, taken off the back of the train? How much room is back there for photographers? I would like to get the same perspectives.

Yes they are - there's only room for 4-5 people, but most folks are great about sharing the space, and there's not much demand for it on most trips anyway.

Murray

Archived