Handicap Cabin #11322A Review

denisey

I want to start by saying that as able-bodied people, we would never book a Handicap cabin intentionally.  We had some issues with our first cabin, so one week prior to the voyage, they moved us to this cabin without telling us it was Handicap.  If I had known I would have taken requests on Cruise Critic for information.  Hopefully this will help anyone who needs a Handicap cabin.

I also don’t normally travel with a tape measure but had one this trip for a craft project.  While I made every effort to measure accurately, please note that I may be slightly off on some of these measurements.

Virgin marks this as an Ambulatory cabin

This is a XL Sea Terrace and as such is five feet longer than a regular cabin.  Ours was the end cabin and it was easy to see the difference in the hallway.  The cabin door opening is 26 inches and felt like a standard cruise ship cabin door.  The Hallway is 32 inches wide. There are two sets of two hooks in the hallway, one high and one low for jackets, etc.

The bathrooms are different on all XL cabins.  There is not a bathroom door, but the toilet and shower are in separate cubicles with a door/curtain.  The opening into the bathroom is 26 inches.  It is flat going into the bathroom, but a step up for the toilet and shower.

The sink is longer than a regular cabin at 57 inches.  I did not measure the height of the sink, but it felt standard.  There are two sets of two hooks, one high and one low for robes, etc.

The shower and toilet cubicles are 22 inches wide by 42 inches deep.  The toilet has a door, the shower has a curtain and fold down bench.  Both have two grab bars.  The second toilet grab bar is behind the toilet seat, and it was hard to keep the lid/seat up.  The shower has a “rain” shower head that can be moved slightly not to be raining straight down on you.  Standard cabins have a shower wand, but this one has a sprayer, like you would find on a kitchen sink.

The closet is 28 inches long, and had two hanger bars, one high and one lower.  There is a shelf above the higher bar.  There are seven shelves on the side, five are 17 inches wide by 8 inches tall, one had the safe.  Two are taller, but one has the life vests.

The desk height is 28 inches.

The space between the bottom of the bed and the wall is tight.  It is only about 18 inches, and the poofy comforter takes up some of that space.  The door to the balcony is 34 inches and there is a step up to get into the balcony.

Our cabin had a spare bed, which looks like a big ottoman when folded up and a chair that was fairly wide. 

I took pictures, but haven’t figured out how to upload them here.