Our Day in Grand Caymen R,R & R

Eqty

We set up all of our excursions on line before the cruise. Most of the research was done on the Port of Call area on these boards. As valuable as cruise tips are here, I find the port of call boards just as informative when trying to figure out what we want to do once we get there.

First Port – Grand Caymen

Excursion – Rays, Reef & Rum Point with Nativeways

Gay and I had been to Grand Caymen a few years ago on the Sensation and, as such, had already had a swim with the stingrays. Not that that makes it old hat – any time there is an opportunity to do something novel and different it just adds to the quality of life. The rest of the party, my mother Betty, Aunt Nancy, Janice and her two adult children Justin and Charlene, had never had the pleasure of having an up close and personal encounter with stingrays. And they were looking at with mixed emotions.

Justin and Charlene (ages 28 and 30) were gung ho. Mom and Janice were kind of skeeved out by the idea, but willing to give it a try. Nancy was taking a wait and see attitude.

We cruised in from the Miracle on the first tender (thank you, Platinum perk) and were in Georgetown at 7:00AM. With an hour to kill we roamed the waterfront shops hoping that the mist and gray clouds would burn off. No luck there as it remained overcast most of the day.

We finally met up with the Nativeways rep and he corralled us over to where the busses were parked. Eldon was our tourguide and gave us a short tour of the city as we headed to the marina. Among other things, he pointed out the hotel where Bill Gates owns the entire top floor. Note to self – get on his guest list.

Eldon shepherded about 18 of us onto a 45 foot cruiser, introduced the captain, mate and videographer and then headed off to pick up another group.

It’s about a 45 minute boat ride out to Stingray City, and we were one of the first boats there. The minute we dropped anchor I could see the shadows skimming along the sand toward our boat. In one of those classic turn of events, mom and Janice couldn’t wait to get in the water with them and Charlene and Justin held back taking their sweet time getting their snorkeling gear on.

Only one or two shrieks from our group the first time a ray brushed up against their legs, then everyone got into the spirit. I have a priceless picture of my 72 year old mother kissing a stingray (7 years good luck, we were told). And another shot of my wife holding one in her arms.

We stayed at the stingray sandbar for about an hour, then a short ride out to the barrier reef for snorkeling. This was the best snorkeling we had on the entire trip. A lot of coral and some beautifully colored fish. Our mate managed to coax out a moray eel (hideous looking thing) and a nurse shark which a few of us where able to pet.

After the snorkeling it was time for the beach at Rum Point. Unfortunately Mother Nature decided it was time to add to the ocean. On the way to Rum Point, about a half hour, we passed through a couple of downpours.

When we got to Rum Point it was raining lightly – just enough to keep most of the people in the bar/restaurant. Speaking of the restaurant, lunch was included in the tour and they had typical hamburger, hotdog fare, but also some Caribbean food. Gay had the conch fritters and I had jerked pork. The fritters were a little chewy, but the pork was fabulous!

Rum Point itself is a beautiful beach. We will make it a “must do” on our next trip to Grand Caymen. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

On the way back to the dock Gay and I had the pleasure of going in a private jeep with Sharon. We had no idea that she and Eldon are married, and that Eldon actually started Nativeways a few years ago. It grew so quickly that Sharon quit her job and joined him as full time as hostess, office manager, guest chauffer, alternate tour guide and general go-to person to get things done.

She had us back to the ship with plenty of time to spare (“Everyone worries about that when they don’t book their tour through the cruiseship.” she told us.)

Next Port of Call – Cozumel. Snokeling at Playa Uvas, buying a soccer ball, and Gay gets her massage at the feet of the famous Coz Sally.

Hello Eqty. I really enjoyed reading your adventures at Stingray City. My fiance and I are taking a honeymoon cruise and one stop is the Grand Caymen Islands. We are so excited to book the Stingray City excursion and am glad to hear good feedback about it. Thanks!

I cannot reccommend a visit to Stingeay City enough. It's one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences. And they are truly gentle creatures. If you get the opportunity to hold one, it's like holding a giant portabella mushroom.

The sandbar is only 3 - 4' deep with a sandy bottom. No need for water shoes. On the boat they will have snorkel equipment available (or you can bring your own). That way you can get under the water and meet these creatures on their terms.

There was never any shortage of rays. We were told that for centuries the fishermen would stop at the sandbar and clean their fish. They would throw the waste overboard and the rays eventually learned that it was a free meal. Since this has been going on for generations, the rays have lost all fear of humans.

On the boat you will be offered some squid to feed the rays. The rays have no teeth, but they will glide over your hand and suck the food up like a vacuum cleaner.

When you went snorkling were you able to stand in the water? DH cannot swim & was not sure if he would be able to partake in this portion of the excursion. Thanks for you reviews. We have Nativeways booked for our cruise in Nov.

When you went snorkling were you able to stand in the water? DH cannot swim & was not sure if he would be able to partake in this portion of the excursion. Thanks for you reviews. We have Nativeways booked for our cruise in Nov.

We just returned form GC in February and the water at the reef in my best guess would be 8-10 feet. Nativeways does provide inflatable snorkeling vests but in order to see the good stuff you really need to get under water. Also the sea was very rough when we were there.:eek:

The sandbar varied between 3 to 4-1/2'. Everyone was able to stand comfortably. Also, the boat has life jackets and vests available. Your husband could stay in the boat until he felt comfortable enough to get into the water.

Enjoy!

Archived