NCL's Travel Insurance

mvh

My cruise is pretty inexpensive, so I don't want to spend a lot on insurance. Has anyone purchased insurance through NCL?  It seems really cheap at only $25 p/p.  I know the medical isn't a million dollars, but does it cover me if I need to quarantine?  Can someone who has actually used this let me know their experience please.  NCL rep was unable to give me a warm and fuzzy feeling with her answer. She was basically clueless.

Short answer, No. The clause in the policy that covers expenses for quarantine is Trip Delay. The NCL standard plan provides only $500. That won’t go very far with a 10-day quarantine.

I did not look at the other levels offered, but the point is to look for a plan with the most generous benefits for Trip Delay if you are concerned about quarantine. With insurance, NCL will help you at embarkation if you also provide a negative test. After that, be prepared to pay.

The Essentials Plan does not cover COVID related costs, Standard covers some and Platinum covers a higher amount of trip delay, medical care and medical evacuation.  Those are the three coverage amounts were looked at for our trip.

Also, I learned my lesson and on the one cruise we did not have travel insurance my daughter was injured onboard, medically evacuated and hospitalized. We also pick the highest plan from that point forward.

Edited by sparkygirlfamily

I've always gotten insurance outside of NCL.  Is that the consensus here?  To skip NCL's offering and get better insurance through other means?  My only "thought" considering all of the covid issues would be that buying through NCL may be less of a hassle.  But it doesn't cover things like Trip Delay to and other issues related to Covid and quarantine, then it sounds like going outside is the best option still.  Any good recommendations?  (or is that verboten to post here?)

Buying through NCL is less of a hassle only if you mean you don’t want to shop around and want the convenience of adding it to your booking all in one transaction.

The only advantage is that if you cancel the whole thing before any penalty period, the insurance will be refunded as well. Other than that, NCL plays no part in the claims process or pay out except for the FCC if you use the CFAR benefit.

Insurance is regulated by states so the price will depend on cost, age, and length of trip if you buy third-party insurance. Most policies cover Covid as any other illness so the concern is to get adequate coverage for trip delay because that is the provision that will pay for quarantine.

I have not looked at all of NCL’s offerings so I can’t say you’ll do better elsewhere, but it is generally true that you can get higher dollar limits in third-party but not Cancel for Any Reason unless you pay an additional premium in the defined time period.

A quick search on squaremouth or insuremytrip using their filters for covid coverage will turn up several choices, but you still have to read carefully and compare to find what is right for you. If you get bogged down, call the folks at The Trip Insurance Store. They can recommend an appropriate policy and help you with the claim if necessary.