QE2 Shore Excursions

bobby1119

Does anyone know if courtesy shuttle transportation is provided between QE2 and main cities when she does not berth or dock close in? On a Baltic cruise not too long ago, for example, we anchored at Nynashm for Stockholm, which was a good hour's drive away and a complimentary shuttle was provided.

I am booked solo on the full '07 world cruise and, most generally, avoid organized shore excursions as they can be superficial and sometimes downright cheesy. While I am planning to utilize Cunard's shore excusion program at several ports, I am hoping to be able to do several on my own, specifically Sydney, Hobart, Melbourne, Brisbane, Hong Kong, Cape Town, Auckland, as well as some of the South Pacific Islands

Any advice will be welcomed and very much appreciated!

In most locations where you are berthed some distance from town there will be a shuttle provided, although in some places the local taxi drivers won't allow one to be laid on. Mubai did not have one and we had to use a taxi, which is a hairy experience in that city.

David.

specifically Sydney

If the QE2 docks in her usual place (which she should, tho her sister is with her in Sydney when you are there - but IIRC QM2 is anchoring/tendering) you will be opposite the Opera House (5 min walk)and a few paces from Circular Quay - (for ferries to anywhere - I recommend Manly) - and downtown Sydney. AFAIK in Hong Kong you dock in Kowloon, but then its an easy ferry ride across to Hong Kong.

Peter

Does anyone know if courtesy shuttle transportation is provided between QE2 and main cities when she does not berth or dock close in? On a Baltic cruise not too long ago, for example, we anchored at Nynashm for Stockholm, which was a good hour's drive away and a complimentary shuttle was provided.

I am booked solo on the full '07 world cruise and, most generally, avoid organized shore excursions as they can be superficial and sometimes downright cheesy. While I am planning to utilize Cunard's shore excusion program at several ports, I am hoping to be able to do several on my own, specifically Sydney, Hobart, Melbourne, Brisbane, Hong Kong, Cape Town, Auckland, as well as some of the South Pacific Islands

Any advice will be welcomed and very much appreciated!

In Auckland NZ the ship berths in the centre [on the harbour] of town so a shuttle is not needed. If you are stopping at any other NZ ports of call on this cruise we will be pleased to help with advice. Regards Ian [Tauranga NZ]

In Auckland NZ the ship berths in the centre [on the harbour] of town so a shuttle is not needed. If you are stopping at any other NZ ports of call on this cruise we will be pleased to help with advice. Regards Ian [Tauranga NZ]

Ian, Thank you for your help. Yes, QE2 will also be visiting Wellignton and Christchurch/Lyttelton, so any further advice will, once again, be very much appreciated!

Bobby

If the QE2 docks in her usual place (which she should, tho her sister is with her in Sydney when you are there - but IIRC QM2 is anchoring/tendering) you will be opposite the Opera House (5 min walk)and a few paces from Circular Quay - (for ferries to anywhere - I recommend Manly) - and downtown Sydney. AFAIK in Hong Kong you dock in Kowloon, but then its an easy ferry ride across to Hong Kong.

Peter

Peter, thank you so much. I was thinking of an afternoon ferry ride to Manly rather than Bondi, so your recommendation clinches the deal for me. It sounds like a lovely seaside town. As I will be solo on the entire cruise and it is my first big venture alone, I am trying to get a handle on strategies so it goes smoothly. I read that QM2 will be docked elsewhere. I also see a discrepnacy in schedules. Port of Syndey has QE2 arriving 7:00 am (same time as Mary). Cunard website has QE2 arriving 9pm???? Do you or does anyone else reading know what the actual schedule is, especially if there will some sort of harbor "event" such as when the 2 Queens departed New York together in April 2004.

Thanks for your time. All the best,

Bobby in New York

I was thinking of an afternoon ferry ride to Manly rather than Bondi, so your recommendation clinches the deal for me. Bobby in New York

Bobby,

Bondi is a bus ride - while the Manly ferry will (almost certainly) take you past the QM2 at anchor.....Manly is a lovely seaside town - my brother used to live there, but he's moved two or so suburbs inland and is now at Seaforth. One trip to visit him had the QE2 in town - I was disappointed to miss it sailing - but we overtook it as it sailed down the harbour on the Manly Ferry on my way home! You'll love Sydney!

Peter

In most locations where you are berthed some distance from town there will be a shuttle provided, although in some places the local taxi drivers won't allow one to be laid on. Mubai did not have one and we had to use a taxi, which is a hairy experience in that city.

David.

David, Thank you for your help, especially the heads-up about Mumbai. I think I will purchase shore excursions in Mumbai rather than venture out as a solo traveler. Many thanks.

Bobby you posted info about shore excursions on another thread. I am booked on the Sydney to Signapore segment of the world cruise and I am going primarily to do the ovenight to Angkor Wat. I would appreciate knowing anything you know about the shore exursions on that segment since I booked directly through Cunard and they don't have info yet.

Bobby you posted info about shore excursions on another thread. I am booked on the Sydney to Signapore segment of the world cruise and I am going primarily to do the ovenight to Angkor Wat. I would appreciate knowing anything you know about the shore exursions on that segment since I booked directly through Cunard and they don't have info yet.

Hi, rm fish. The information I have about Angkor Wat is a 2007 three night overland that begins in Da Nang, where you leave the ship, and ends in Laem Chabang three days later. It is listed in US$ 1799 double per person/US$ 1999 single.

There is also information for two other 2007 overland tours: 2 nights to Beijing (leaving from Shanghai and rejoining at Hong Kong) for US$ 1999 double/US$ 2299 single; also, 3 nights to Agra & Jaipur (leaving from Colombo and rejoining at Mumbai) for US$ 3599 double/US$ 3899 single.

I am also interested in the Cambodia overland. I will pass on the others as I can practically do an entire free-standing trip to India at Cunard's absurdly astronomical prices!

I also have the current 2006 shore excursion book (134 pages!) which I obtained from my TA who used to work for Cunard when it was Cunard. When I was on QE2 with her in NYC last month on sailing day, the ship's hotel manager and a member of the cruise staff said that they basically repeat many of the same shore excursions each year for repeat ports. Only the prices change. So, there are many half-day and full-day for all of the ports between Sydney and Singapore. If you are interested, let me know.

Keep in touch with any other news or questions about the cruise. Looking forward to meeting you aboard! :)

WHERE is everyone finding information on World cruise excursions? I am booked for the full cruise on the QM2, and have not been able to find any information from Cunard. My TA has been trying her best, but nothing is forthcoming.

Part of the fun is going through excursions offered and planning ahead.

Thanks

WHERE is everyone finding information on World cruise excursions? I am booked for the full cruise on the QM2, and have not been able to find any information from Cunard. My TA has been trying her best, but nothing is forthcoming.

Part of the fun is going through excursions offered and planning ahead.

Thanks

The lengthier shore excursions are in each of the Queen's respective world cruise brochures. I don't have access to as much information for Queen Mary 2 as I do for QE2. Good luck. I will post back if I find anything.:)

Bobby,

Thanks for the info. Somehow I don't even have the world cruise brochure. I'll have to get it from Cunard. I agree with you about the costs of the trips, but I don't want to go to Cambodia by myself so this seemed like a good way to do it although a costly one. As time goes on, I would be interested in anything you're willing to take the time to share about some of the day or half day trips. Sometimes I'd rather do it it myself, but it always helps to know whats on offer. Thanks again.

Ian, Thank you for your help. Yes, QE2 will also be visiting Wellignton and Christchurch/Lyttelton, so any further advice will, once again, be very much appreciated!

Bobby

Hi Bobby, in Wellington the ship berths quite close to the city centre so you can catch a cab or i am sure there will be a shuttle bus laid on for you. In Christchurch the port is a good distance from the city so transport will be needed. Are you visiting Tauranga on this cruise, this is our home town so have more information to hand if needed.

Regards

Ian

In my efforts to research shore excursions for the QE2 2007 world cruise, I stumbled upon http://www.princess.com/shorex/brochures.html .

I know that it ain't Cunard but fancy that the excursion offerings are likely to be very similar so might be of help to any, like me, groping for information and insights

Thank heaven for broadband.

In my efforts to research shore excursions for the QE2 2007 world cruise, I stumbled upon http://www.princess.com/shorex/brochures.html .

I know that it ain't Cunard but fancy that the excursion offerings are likely to be very similar so might be of help to any, like me, groping for information and insights

Thank heaven for broadband.

You are probably right, when the QE2 visited NZ a few weeks back all the shore excursions were managed by the same NZ company as for the Diamond Princess, so many are the same, though as the number of PAX on board is less they may not feature all of them. I know the Tauranga Highlights by Classic Daimlers and Rolls Royces were though. If you need any further help re NZ please let me know. Regards Ian {Tauranga]

You really have to decide on a port by port basis wether to go with the organized excursions or to go independent. This sometimes can involve a little bit of research and homework, but the scources are avaiable.

Ports vary greatly. In many ports, the ship drops you in the heart of things, in other ports, you dock hopelessly far in the middle of nowhere.

A good example of "nowhere" is LAEM CHEBANG (the docking port in Thailand).

Laem Chebang is a containership area, 10 miles from ANYTHING, and a complimentry 24 hour shuttle is provided tp Pattaya, and is an absolute neccesity. Bangkok is about 80-90 miles in the opposite direction.

The Port Lecturures on board are remarkably frank about situations in teh upcoming ports.

Do not discount the following scources: 1) Seasoned fellow passengers,

and 2) Seasoned veterenn crewmwmbers (bartenders etc), they tend to be DELIGHTED to offer the benefit of their expeirience and by nature, are skilled at learning tthe ins and outs of ports VERY quickly. Don't ever underestimate the enginuity of a sailor on shorty shore liberty !!!

One more thing about tours:

Many are Cheesy, but there are SOME that really should not be missed.

A lady passenger I once knew had a system that worked well.

She would g to the tour office and make the following pitch. "I can only budget to go on THREE tours out of the next SIX ports, Which ones should I ABSOLUTELY not miss?"

They would be sensative and sensible, and give her straitforward advice.

BOTTOM LINE QUESTION?

"is the port in question "INDEPENDENT FRIENDLY", or is it rreallyy neccesary to "GO WITH THE FLOW?".

So, go oon board with an open mind, and ASK, ASK , ASK!

Have a great voyage.

Ian, Thanks so much for your help. I want to do as much on my own as possible during the World Cruise without a packaged tour, so your posts have been very helpful. At 55 I will be, I guess, one of the younger and more adventuresome passengers. We are not going to Turanga, and I wish we were as a colleague at work loved that city the best during her recent trip to Australia. Thank you again! :)

Archived