prescription mask rental

My guess is a "prescription" mask would be VERY expensive, and yes as MGoBlue stated you woulkd need the prescription from your doctor.

You could, however probably get a "corrective" lens (like 'drug store glasses') on a mask much cheaper. Google it and you'll find some. Corrective are non perscription, and you'd find something 'close enough'. At this time sporting goods stores don't have snorkle equipment out so it might be hard to find retail (except a "dive shop").

I sate the above, because a store might sell you what you ask for and if you ask for the more expensive one (perscription) they might not mention a plain 'corrective'

I bought online a few years back and have been very happy with it. Can't remember the company, but do some searching under snorkel equipment, not scuba, and you can find less expensive stuff. What they sell are the two-lense style masks, then you enter your prescription for each eye, and they match to the nearest 0.5 diopter. No astigmatism etc. correction if that's a big problem. Mine were a near perfect match. My recollection was the mask was about $30, then $20 for each lense, for a total of around $70 - well worth it! Of course, while you're at it get a snorkel so you don't have to use someone elses mouthpiece.

Buy your own and bring it. My hubby has one and he now loves snorkeling because he can see! They aren't really expensive at all. He paid about $60 for his. We only use it when cruising, which is about once a year, but it was well worth the money for us to enjoy this activity together.

We got it online, but I don't remember the site. Might have been snorkel mart but many sell them. Just get your prescription from your eye doc.

Here's snorkel mart's site: http://www.snorkel-mart.com/files/products/details.cfm?ProductID=63

I bought online a few years back and have been very happy with it. Can't remember the company, but do some searching under snorkel equipment, not scuba, and you can find less expensive stuff. What they sell are the two-lense style masks, then you enter your prescription for each eye, and they match to the nearest 0.5 diopter. No astigmatism etc. correction if that's a big problem. Mine were a near perfect match. My recollection was the mask was about $30, then $20 for each lense, for a total of around $70 - well worth it! Of course, while you're at it get a snorkel so you don't have to use someone elses mouthpiece.

PSCruiser has the clue but if you can it's faster and easier to take your prescription to the shop. For the goggle type they have sets of left and right lenses which they pop in based on your base prescription and then for us semi-blind with all sorts of funny additional numbers in our prescriptions just keep changing the lenses as you look at the signs down the shop until things are clear for each eye. Investigated the prescription full face mask a number of years ago at a pro dive shop and they wanted $100+ for the mask with suitable glass with no guarantee for the additional $100+ that it would not break during the grinding or it would be correct when they finished.They recommended against it. Also second your own snorkel-they are easy to pack. You can leave them attached together and not need to fuss to adjust with the added bonus when you go to pick up your fins etc you look like you really know what you're doing as you have "pro" equipment.-- well-- maybe not.

Can you wear contact lenses at all? If so, just wear the contact lenses and a regular mask. I was very concerned about this working and having water leak into the mask, but have never had that happen. Even if you don't regularly wear contacts, if you're able to wear them for a short period of time, your optometrist might give you a sample pair of contacts just for this purpose.

I will be doing the western Caribbean in March on the Explorer. I will be taking as many snorkel tours as i can. Now my question. I really need a prescription mask when i snorkel should i buy one and bring my own or are they available from the tours.

Kev

You can purchase a dive mask with a perscription in it for around$70 and it is worth every penny!

Archived