Water Temp in Mid March?

lorasmom

We are sailing out 3/24 - how is the water temp? I'm on the Central Gulf Coast of Florida, and I know mid-March is too early for the beach for me, but is it warmer in the Bahamas (Nassau and Coco Cay, specifically)? We're hoping to get some snorkeling in!!

Being from Central Fl. myself I've always found the water to still be a little to cool that early in the year. I was at Coco Cay a few years ago the end of April & it was still to cold for me.

I think someone had said before that the water temps in Nassau & Coco Cay run about the same as Miami.

We are just back from Nassau. We snorkeled at Pearl Island and the water was beautiful, warm and clear. I hope you have a great trip.

Pooh,

What would you say the water temp was? Was it at least 70? We're from CT where we are lucky if the ocean gets up to 68 or 70 in August, so 70 is not cold to us. Personally, I prefer the water to be 75-80 degrees, but 70 is ok all things considered.

BRRRRR!!! Here in west central Florida, we don't venture in until the Gulf is well into the 80's! We laugh because we can always pick out the tourists playing in the (to us) frigid springtime waters :)

Water temp averaged about 76 F. Allot warmer than last year, some guys were making jokes saying the water is allot warmer this year, because the local kids are at the beach and that usually doesnt happen until easter... We went skimboarding on Sundaythe 26th and it wasnt bad @ all, we had on a thin rashguard (more to stop sandburn than insulation)

76 is a lot warmer than it was when we were there last Feb. We'll take it. Like I said we are LUCKY if the water gets up to 70 in the heat of the summer at home.

Go ahead and laugh at me. I don't care. We'll also be the ones wearing shorts when it's 60 degrees outside.

Archived