Favorite Excursions - Belize

Nole4Life28

Has anyone done the Caving and Jungle Tour? 45 minutes by boat up the river, arrive at a local farm to change to 4x4 vehicles for the trip on the trails and across the river in a barge, a short walk through the rainforest to the caves for some caving and a "jungle truck" back. This takes 5 hours and listed as moderate activity by HAL.

I found a lot about this tour by searching for "Land Rover" looks great!

Has anyone done the Caving and Jungle Tour? 45 minutes by boat up the river, arrive at a local farm to change to 4x4 vehicles for the trip on the trails and across the river in a barge, a short walk through the rainforest to the caves for some caving and a "jungle truck" back. This takes 5 hours and listed as moderate activity by HAL.

I will be going on my first cruise in May '06 and am really looking forward to it, of course. I was just wondering if you wonderful people, who have already been to these locations would mind just posting here what excursion you did at this location and if you loved or hated it and why. Can be quick or long, doesn't matter. I just want to get great ideas of what to do at each place. I will post the same thread on the other ports of call that we will be going to with the same title, so if you're really anxious to help :D heehee that would be great!! As you can tell, 3 months out, I am really trying to be prepared. Thank you so much! I LOVE CC message boards, all the people are wonderful! I'm so glad I found this place. So, our ports of call are Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya. Thank you again :D

Just got back from those exact same ports. Had the time of our lives. Went on a horse and buggy tour of Belize with Martin great way to see Belize with a native Belizian. He even brought us to a real local eating establishment and sat and had lunch with us. Look for him near Goodmark Jewelers - (horse is named Marion)

Grand Cayman - Went with the Swimming with the Sting Rays with Capt. Marvin and his crew. Lots of fun. Booked it on the internet a few weeks before. Short walk from where you'll tender. We went early morning and had plenty of time for Senor Frogs and shopping after.

Roatan - Did the Canopy Tour (Zip line over the jungle). Kids loved it. 225 weight limit that my husband was a little nervous about seeing that he never stopped eating on the ship. Afterward you'll go to the Tapyana Beach. We booked through Carnival first day. Was totally sold out. Glad we did that.

Cost Maya - Convenient because you can go back and forth to the ship if you need to. There is lots of shopping and a cool bar with a pool. We took a cab to a local beach sat under a shady hut. This was great because everyone in our group just hung out. Some tried parasailing (pretty scary wouldn't do it again), but the banana boat, on beach massages, etc were lots of fun. Many of our fellow cruisers went on the open bar beach tours -- we had too many kids with us to enjoy that but they all seemed to be feeling pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi again, any recently returned cruisers have anything to add, maybe ? :D

48 more days YAY!!

Hey...we are missing you on the role call. If you haven't been checking it out there is quite a group of us now.

Also checkout the posting on the carnival board by Wennfred, he posted daily from the Valor last week!:D And there was a VERY detailed review by Salty Dingo!

We took it through Princess on 3/22, it was great.

They picked up up in a 30 person V-hulled boat and set off through the waves (get a seat in the back, the front is pretty rough). We got to the shore and kept going up the Sibun river. We would stop periodically, and they'd point out birds, iguanas, and bats, etc. After about 45 minutes, we got off at the 4-wheel drive pickup point, and had free cokes/water/juice. We had the opportunity to purchase a Belizian lunch (rice, beans, chicken) for $5. The range rovers arrived (8 in all, each holds 6 confortably, 8 in a pinch.) The roads were a combination of dirt (lots of dust, get in the front if possible), paved, dirt, then jungle trail, up hills, sharp twisty turns, barely a track in the jungle! After about 30 minutes, we arrived at the jungle clearing. We divided up into groups of 4-6, and walked the cable walkway across the Sibun river (same one they cave tube on) to get to the caves. These caves are pretty good, with NO walkways, lights, etc. You are given headlamps. You go through about 10 minutes of cave, go out and walk 4-5 minutes, go to another cave, do some more jungle walking, and back through the cave to the beginning. They point out Mayan pottery in the caves, and jungle life and flora along the walk.

Back at the clearing, you can change in the restrooms and go swimming in the river, or rest under the pavillion, where there are free cokes/juices/water and a fruit snack. Authentic Belizian lunch is again offered for $5. You then get on a "bus" (4 wheel drive, canopy covering) for the rum punch laced drive back to the tender docks.

Lots of fun, a little pricey ($99/pp) and about 5 hours total time.

Snedecor

If you want a quiet day, I have the perfect beach for you (if it's the same as it was in Feb. 05). We took an excursion (not through the ship) to an island called Water Key (or Water Cay). I really wish I had the name of the company. We booked it in the port as soon as we got off the ship. I remember they were one of the few that had a real sign (not just cardboard).

We took a catamaran around to this island. Only about 35 of us. On Water Cay, all they had was: a dock, bathrooms, tiki huts for shade, lounge chairs and float/rafts for the water. It was so quiet. No one trying to sell you beads, braid your hair, or anything else.

If we had known this, we would have been prepared with water, snacks, etc. (the only thing bad about the company was they didn't tell us this!). But is was so nice! The kids and DH were breaking open coconuts - it was very Survivor-like. Exactly the opposite of how commercial Cozumel was later in the week.

The catamaran dropped the families (and anyone else) off at this beach, where the beach and water were beautiful, and took the others out somewhere to snorkel.

He came back for us in time and we had no problem getting back to the ship on time.

Our week got more hectice and more commercial from there (Roatan, Grand Cayman, Cozumel), but each day was GREAT. We were on the Valor -- great, great trip.

Have fun! Plan ahead and don't listen to the people who are so afraid of Belize that they stay on the ship (there were plenty of those on our cruise).

We went cave tubbing through cavetubbing.com it was so much fun. It was really easy to find them. They did a wonderful job of keeping us having a good time through the whole ride. My adventure guide as he liked to say it was Jr. He was FANTASTIC. The price was half that of the ships cost, which is always great. They really went the extra mile to make sure that we were all happy.

Nole4Life, did you decide on anything yet?

We're going to do the zip-line cave-tubing combo, and would love to do it with Cynthia and Nacho, but if we had a few more people the price drops to $110.

Let me know if you'd like to do this excursion and we can join up.

Nole4Life, did you decide on anything yet?

We're going to do the zip-line cave-tubing combo, and would love to do it with Cynthia and Nacho, but if we had a few more people the price drops to $110.

Let me know if you'd like to do this excursion and we can join up.

No, we are terrible. We are sitting here trying to figure it out. We just can't decide. We were starting to lean toward the Ruins, but still don't know. We are going to sit down and figure it out soon. We are getting way too excited though!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

NCL's excursion to Shark Ray Alley takes you to a spot on the reef for some terific snorkeling then on to San Pedro for lunch and enough time to rent a golf cart and see nearly all of the caye. I thought the travel time from the ship to Ambergris Caye would be very long but the boat was fast and clean and the staff a lot fun. Never spent time in Belize mainland (except the airport) having fallen in love with Amergris Caye a few years back. I heartily recommend getting out in the Cayes, the views are unbelizeable (sorry-couldn't resist)

If anyone would like to see our photos of Belize & our Coral Breeze snorkeling, manatee, & bannister Island tour , Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel & the Legend of the Seas please click on the link below:

Bannister Island is paradise! Awesome Day!

You have to enter the password: bella3

Happy Sailing!

Sue

Thanks for the pictures, Bannester Island looks relaxing.

• 2 weeks later...
If anyone would like to see our photos of Belize & our Coral Breeze snorkeling, manatee, & bannister Island tour , Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Cozumel & the Legend of the Seas please click on the link below:

Bannister Island is paradise! Awesome Day!

http://cruisegirl29.shutterfly.com/action/

You have to enter the password: bella3

Happy Sailing!

Sue

Sue:

We are going to Belize in 16 days aboard the Miracle and are considering the Coral Breeze excursion - Manatee/Snorkel/Beach break. It sounds like this is the one you are referring to in your post. Can you elaborate on this outing further? By the way, your photos are beautiful - thanks for sharing!

Was in Belize last week and did the boat/land rover/cave tour through Carnival. This was a great way to see Belize. We were picked up in a speed boat right off of the ship. We had calm seas so it was a smooth ride. It was about a 20 minute ride to the river, then another 20 minute ride up the river to the base camp where the jeeps are kept. We then drove in the jeeps for about an hour. It was a mix of paved roads and off road trails in the jungle to the caves where they have another camp area. The base camps are something right out of a jungle movie set. Both very clean and comfortable with restrooms. The excursion was a bit expensive, but we felt it was worth it. We didn't feel rushed or crowded at any point during the trip.

Hi Cruisinjul

Thanks for your review, the tours sound interesting. I've been snorkling in Belize before, so next time would like to see some jungle! :)

A question - was the tour you took the same as this Belize jungle tour do you know? They don't seem to offer the tour through their site, looks like you have to book it with the cruise line..?

Thanks!!

Jan

Was in Belize last week and did the boat/land rover/cave tour through Carnival. This was a great way to see Belize. We were picked up in a speed boat right off of the ship. We had calm seas so it was a smooth ride. It was about a 20 minute ride to the river, then another 20 minute ride up the river to the base camp where the jeeps are kept. We then drove in the jeeps for about an hour. It was a mix of paved roads and off road trails in the jungle to the caves where they have another camp area. The base camps are something right out of a jungle movie set. Both very clean and comfortable with restrooms. The excursion was a bit expensive, but we felt it was worth it. We didn't feel rushed or crowded at any point during the trip.

I would love to do this tour but have a little trouble with one of my legs.

How much walking is there and also I have read that you have to climb over a 4

foot boulder....is that true?

Great link! Thanks MsMiMi... looks like www.junglebelize.com is the same as the jungle tour on www.belize-paradise.com, but your link has better pics :)

cruznbuckeye - I emailed the operators yesterday asking whether there were any special requirements as my DH can't walk long distances either... I'll let you know what they tell me!

Janice

ooops... should have checked my emails first! Belize Paradise (Land Rover tour people) replied already!

They said that there is about 15 min of 'casual' walking to and from the caves. Inside the caves there is one spot where you need to pass a large boulder, they said it is more of a crawl than a climb (!) but that anyone who doesn't want to take that route can go with a guide a different way and meet the others on the other side. Bottom line is, theysaid they have people from 10-90 years old taking the tour, so doesn't sound too tough..!

Think I'm gonna book this one, will make a change from snorkling :)

Janice

just curious, in the cave tubing...how dark is it? i may sound like a big baby...but well, i am :) but also, i am dying to try tubing and dont want the whole ride to be in pitch black. whats it like?

You get an inner tube -- probably patched -- and [they call it a miner's lamp] small flashlight on a strap you can put on your head but wear it around your neck. If you lose it you owe them $10. The first cave is short and you are barely out of sight of the entrance before you can see the exit where the Carnival tour gets in.

Apart from the crocologs, the only wildlife you have to contend with in the cave is a few bats. Which is a good thing. The more bats, the fewer bugs.

By the time you get to the second cave, there's so many people in there with you with those small flashlights that it's not pitch black. But in the first cave they had everyone turn off their lights just to show you what it was like.

Don't be too much of wimp over it. You'll kick yourself in 20 years if you don't do it when you have the opportunity. And go with cave-tubing.com or Major Tom. The money you save can buy souvenirs.

ooops... should have checked my emails first! Belize Paradise (Land Rover tour people) replied already!

They said that there is about 15 min of 'casual' walking to and from the caves. Inside the caves there is one spot where you need to pass a large boulder, they said it is more of a crawl than a climb (!) but that anyone who doesn't want to take that route can go with a guide a different way and meet the others on the other side. Bottom line is, theysaid they have people from 10-90 years old taking the tour, so doesn't sound too tough..!

Think I'm gonna book this one, will make a change from snorkling :)

Janice

Thanks Janice! This sounds like a great fun tour! Seeing the real Belize! We might book this also!