Really annoyed by Royal Caribbean's lack of customer service

1 hour ago, Vacationlover2 said:

The royal up email and all follow up emails said royal Caribbean. No indication that it is a different company and it shouldn't matter. I shouldn't have to understand their rules and know to cancel a bid when they themselves gave me the cabin.

I'm just trying to go on a cruise, not learn the ins and outs of royals business.  

It's a simple fix. Refund the money. If the other cabin is still available, move me back.  Sadly, customer service has become a joke at many places lately and looking at some responses, it seems that many are willing to just allow it to continue.

I agree this should be a simple fix and not on the customer. But nothing is simple with Royal Caribbean. I was on the phone with them yesterday for 2 1/2 hours and they couldn't resolve anything. They can't even get me checked in for a cruise because of some technical issue on their end. A refund request from October just fell through the cracks and they had to start all over with that (fourth call to them on that one). All I got were excuses ("this is a known problem, you're not the only person experiencing this, thank you for your patience"). Your choices are to keep hammering them or give up trying.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vacationlover2 said:

The royal up email and all follow up emails said royal Caribbean. No indication that it is a different company and it shouldn't matter. I shouldn't have to understand their rules and know to cancel a bid when they themselves gave me the cabin.

I'm just trying to go on a cruise, not learn the ins and outs of royals business.  

It's a simple fix. Refund the money. If the other cabin is still available, move me back.  Sadly, customer service has become a joke at many places lately and looking at some responses, it seems that many are willing to just allow it to continue.

You got a $100 credit when they moved your guarantee to the spacious ocean view. Did they take that back when you won the RoyalUP bid? If not, it seems you are still $20 ahead of the game, so your RoyalUP was basically free.  And, as others have mentioned, since you booked a guarantee, there is absolutely NO guarantee that by the time you boarded, you would still have the upgraded cabin.  Royal could have moved you out of it at anytime.

You may not want to learn the ins and outs of Royal's business, however, it IS your responsibility to understand the terms and conditions of any contract you enter whether Royal Caribbean or any other company. RCL's terms and conditions on RoyalUP is a very easy google search. into.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/terms-and-conditions/royalup-upgrade-program

Sorry this happened to you. It always sucks when you know you forgot to do something and it impacts you negatively. Enjoy your cruise.  You got what you bid for, which is what you were originally hoping to get, so enjoy that balcony!

Edited by cured

14 minutes ago, cured said:

You may not want to learn the ins and outs of Royal's business, however, it IS your responsibility to understand the terms and conditions of any contract you enter whether Royal Caribbean or any other company. RCL's terms and conditions on RoyalUP is a very easy google search. into.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/terms-and-conditions/royalup-upgrade-program

I'm pretty sure we have all agreed to many contracts of adhesion in our lifetimes without fully understanding them.

Edited by Pratique

55 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I'm pretty sure we have all agreed to many contracts of adhesion in our lifetimes without fully understanding them.

Very true and I am guilty of it myself.  So you are saying, as a lawyer, that if I buy a car or enter into any other contract of adhesion, it is not enforceable as long as I say "oops, I didn't read the T&Cs, so I don't want you to hold me accountable?"  Good to know.  Hasn't worked for me in the past, something about personal responsibility always crops up.

I don't think Royal Caribbean's customer service is stellar by any means; just the fact that it is common knowledge that if you don't like an answer, just call again points to the inconsistency.  However, in this case, it seems pretty cut and dried. They gave the OP $100 OBC. They did exactly what he asked them to do; he submitted a bid for a RoyalUP agreeing he would accept a balcony.  He won, they charged him $80, upgraded his guarantee.

It would be nice of Royal to refund his $80 but also remove the $100 OBC since he no longer has the cabin he was moved to.

Edited by cured

Just now, cured said:

Very true and I am guilty of it myself.  So you are saying, as a lawyer, that if I buy a car or my cellphone contract or enter into any other contract of adhesion, it is not enforceable as long as I say "oops, I didn't read the T&Cs, so I don't want you to hold me accountable?"  Good to know.  Hasn't worked for me in the past, something about personal responsibility always crops up.

Many years ago I signed a lease for a new car. A week later the dealership called me and said I had to come back and sign a new contract because the bank made an error by using the wrong form contract. There was nothing in the contract where I agreed that the bank could unilaterally tear up the contract and change the terms, terms that I had agreed to. But the law allows them to do it. However, if the consumer - who has no negotiating power at all - makes a mistake, the only hope is for the business to make things right with that customer. That is a business decision. A one-sided decision.

I used to work at Walt Disney World. Back in the '90s the company recognized that over 70% of its guests were repeat customers and that it was running out of new customers. They couldn't afford to lose too many customers. One of the initiatives was a program called guest service fanatic, where front line employees were empowered to provide basic guest service recovery. If they didn't have authority to make it right with the guest, then the answer was always to tell the guest "we will get you an answer" and to escalate it to a supervisor who had more authority. It didn't always work (some guests can't be pleased or are unreasonable), but it helped much more than it hurt.

This is a situation where Royal Caribbean could have easily recovered, and if they had done so the OP would never have started this thread. Royal has made a business decision that could end up costing them more in the long run if the OP decides to take their business elsewhere. Maybe Royal can afford to lose a few customers, I don't know. I wouldn't take the chance. I usually sail in suites, so I am paying a premium. But I am losing patience with Royal on a basic customer service level, so I will always think twice before booking another cruise with them. I'm not at the tipping point yet but getting close.

Gordon Bethune, the former CEO of Continental Airlines, wrote a great book on how he turned the company around. I think more CEOs should read that book and take his advice to heart.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

Many years ago I signed a lease for a new car. A week later the dealership called me and said I had to come back and sign a new contract because the bank made an error by using the wrong form contract. There was nothing in the contract where I agreed that the bank could unilaterally tear up the contract and change the terms, terms that I had agreed to. But the law allows them to do it. However, if the consumer - who has no negotiating power at all - makes a mistake, the only hope is for the business to make things right with that customer. That is a business decision. A one-sided decision.

I used to work at Walt Disney World. Back in the '90s the company recognized that over 70% of its guests were repeat customers and that it was running out of new customers. They couldn't afford to lose too many customers. One of the initiatives was a program called guest service fanatic, where front line employees were empowered to provide basic guest service recovery. If they didn't have authority to make it right with the guest, then the answer was always to tell the guest "we will get you an answer" and to escalate it to a supervisor who had more authority. It didn't always work (some guests can't be pleased or are unreasonable), but it helped much more than it hurt.

This is a situation where Royal Caribbean could have easily recovered, and if they had done so the OP would never have started this thread. Royal has made a business decision that could end up costing them more in the long run if the OP decides to take their business elsewhere. Maybe Royal can afford to lose a few customers, I don't know. I wouldn't take the chance. I usually sail in suites, so I am paying a premium. But I am losing patience with Royal on a basic customer service level, so I will always think twice before booking another cruise with them. I'm not at the tipping point yet but getting close.

Gordon Bethune, the former CEO of Continental Airlines, wrote a great book on how he turned the company around. I think more CEOs should read that book and take his advice to heart.

You're right.  Royal made a business decision in this case.  And it may backfire on them.  However, Royal did nothing wrong.  OP books a guarantee cabin.  That means they get AT LEAST the cabin level they booked, and possibly a better one.  The OP ALSO does Royal UP bids for better cabins.   Based on what I'm reading here, the Royal Up agreement says there will not be refunds given if the bid is accepted.  

Royal held their end of the bargain... they gave the OP a better class of cabin than originally booked (as is possible with a guarantee), AND accepted the Royal Up bid for a balcony cabin.  If the OP hadn't bid on the Royal Up, they'd be happy with how their guarantee cabin worked out.  If the OP hadn't known where the guarantee cabin was assigned, they'd be happy with the Royal Up bid acceptance.  So how can someone say Royal was in the wrong, or there's a "lack of customer service"?  

Did Royal go "above and beyond" what they needed to do?  No.  Did they do less than they needed to do?  No.  Will the OP look back at this decision and possibly never sail with Royal again?  Maybe.  

But companies going "above and beyond" to keep guests happy can backfire also.  Because customers will hear how they went "above and beyond" and then EXPECT the same treatment, even if they're not ENTITLED to it. 

• Like 1

Just now, S.A.M.J.R. said:

But companies going "above and beyond" to keep guests happy can backfire also.  Because customers will hear how they went "above and beyond" and then EXPECT the same treatment, even if they're not ENTITLED to it. 

I'm only posting in this thread because I'm also experiencing poor customer service from Royal right now for things that are not my fault, so this is not limited to situations where the company is in the right and the guest is in the wrong. You are correct that Royal doesn't owe the OP anything more, but it is part of a larger trend of poor customer service all around. And saying that going above and beyond is also a bad idea is telling us to just settle for mediocrity.

5 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I'm only posting in this thread because I'm also experiencing poor customer service from Royal right now for things that are not my fault, so this is not limited to situations where the company is in the right and the guest is in the wrong. You are correct that Royal doesn't owe the OP anything more, but it is part of a larger trend of poor customer service all around. And saying that going above and beyond is also a bad idea is telling us to just settle for mediocrity.

I never said going above and beyond is a bad idea.  I said it could backfire.  That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.  Companies and employees need to be able to choose when it's appropriate vs when it could lead to other issues.  If Royal cancels the OP's Royal UP bid and refunds their money, what's their argument when the next person comes in and wants to do the same thing? 

And I've read plenty of stories of poor customer service from Royal.  I just don't think this is an example of it. 

8 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Indeed, there's the problem.  RC can't start undoing RoyalUp results or even refunding the bid when the customer isn't happy with the outcome, even if it's a case as unusual as this one.

I'd be willing to bet real money that all the stateroom options that have been suggested in this thread were not available because they all had been filled with successful RU bids from folks in lower categories, including the room OP was happy with. 

I don't know why OP left the bid in when he got an upgrade and OBC already.  He left his money on the table and the dice came up craps.  Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I never said going above and beyond is a bad idea.  I said it could backfire.  That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.  Companies and employees need to be able to choose when it's appropriate vs when it could lead to other issues.  If Royal cancels the OP's Royal UP bid and refunds their money, what's their argument when the next person comes in and wants to do the same thing? 

And I've read plenty of stories of poor customer service from Royal.  I just don't think this is an example of it. 

The decisions should made on a case-by-case basis, not using a blanket policy and telling the guest  some form of too bad you're out of luck. It could have been handled better, from the sound of it. But I wasn't there. I do know from my many calls to Royal lately that they are not in any good mood to deal with anything or anyone. Even my attempts to lighten the mood with the agent yesterday fell flat. She sounded burned out. I was patient for 2 1/2 hours and got nowhere with them.

While I do not think it will necessarily get you what you want, you could call back and try to get through to the "resolutions team".  NICELY explain your situation and frustration and disappointment, and see if they can help you.  I understand your feelings and see how easily this could happen, but unfortunately in this case it is not RCCLs fault.  I have found that admitting fault and throwing yourself on your own sword is a much more successful tactic to get them to fix a problem that technically was your mistake.   Don't go into it expecting any change, but it is worth a try.  And remember, this may be a multi hour hold time right now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tbo said:

I think my bigger point,  is that yes this happened and after the fact OP called to see what could be done to remedy the situation and got sorry, suck it up buttercup.

Regardless of the process, and whether or not OP understood those (not sure I would have), RCI has it within their power to correct this. Maybe that cabin is gone, what about another in that class? What about balcony cabin away from the elevator? What about just refunding the $80? Multiple ways to provide customer service here instead of "you get what you get".

I work in customer service. Customer is FAR from always right, doesn't mean they shouldn't be helped at all.

What should happen is take the $100 obc, refund the $80 for the upgrade, find a ocean view cabin, and put the OP back in that category. That would solve everything.

30 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Indeed, there's the problem.  RC can't start undoing RoyalUp results or even refunding the bid when the customer isn't happy with the outcome, even if it's a case as unusual as this one.

Many years ago I worked with someone who told me never to send emails to a client late at night because then they would come to expect me to respond at all hours. Sort of the "give an inch take a mile" theory. Over the years I have come to the conclusion that this isn't necessarily true. As long as I consistently provide good service in a reasonable time frame no one complains that I don't always respond to emails in the dead of night. I know some people feel a sense of entitlement especially when they get special treatment, but I feel that is on them to resolve because you can't please everyone all of the time.

49 minutes ago, Pratique said:

The decisions should made on a case-by-case basis, not using a blanket policy and telling the guest  some form of too bad you're out of luck. It could have been handled better, from the sound of it. But I wasn't there. I do know from my many calls to Royal lately that they are not in any good mood to deal with anything or anyone. Even my attempts to lighten the mood with the agent yesterday fell flat. She sounded burned out. I was patient for 2 1/2 hours and got nowhere with them.

While I understand making judgements case by case (which I don't disagree with), let's say Royal lets OP out of their RoyalUp bid and puts them back in the previous cabin.  OK, OP is happy, spends money with Royal AND tells others (on the internet) how good Royal treated them. 

So the next person comes up and wants their Royal Up refunded.  You're the Royal rep.  You say "nope, not allowed to do that."  

"But so and so posted on the internet you allowed them, why not do the same for me?"

Do you refund theirs?  Do you say no?  What about the next person?  Or the next?  Case by case, right?  Do you think the person you say no to is going to understand that?  Or will they be pissed because someone else got "special" treatment?  

Sure, it would have been nice for Royal to put OP back in the cabin they had, and Royal would have been within their rights to do so.  But I can also understand why they say "nope". 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

While I understand making judgements case by case (which I don't disagree with), let's say Royal lets OP out of their RoyalUp bid and puts them back in the previous cabin.  OK, OP is happy, spends money with Royal AND tells others (on the internet) how good Royal treated them. 

So the next person comes up and wants their Royal Up refunded.  You're the Royal rep.  You say "nope, not allowed to do that."  

"But so and so posted on the internet you allowed them, why not do the same for me?"

Do you refund theirs?  Do you say no?  What about the next person?  Or the next?  Case by case, right?  Do you think the person you say no to is going to understand that?  Or will they be pissed because someone else got "special" treatment?  

Sure, it would have been nice for Royal to put OP back in the cabin they had, and Royal would have been within their rights to do so.  But I can also understand why they say "nope". 

Yes it's a risk, but my Disney experience tells me it is manageable. In the theme parks people observe other guests getting special treatment all the time ("why did they get to cut the line?, why did they get a free turkey leg?" etc.). You try to do things discreetly but if word gets out then you just play dumb. If someone seems deserving of special treatment, you give it to them if you are empowered to do so. As I said, case-by-case. Not a job I envy. I guess I'm venting because lately I've been getting a lot of bad service most everywhere I go and I'm not sure it's all due to covid fatigue. I could vent about service at Target and my car dealership too, much less how Royal dropped us from a full suite to a junior suite and told me to take it or leave it (and when I left it, they "forgot" to process my refund). The trend seems to be less customer-friendly these days. To me, this case could have been recovered so easily, $80 refund, new cabin, not a big deal for them but meaningful for the OP.

@Pratique I assume you have a personal relationship with your clients.  When I was practicing, I had the same, and so I was not concerned about a client abusing our relationship.  Both the client and I understood that we were, essentially, in business together and mutually benefitting from our relationship.

Now, try and translate that to thousands of personnel dealing with tens (or even hundreds) of thousands of client/customers every day.  That relationship and understanding does not exist, and it simply cannot at the price point and situation RC is at these days.  

RC no longer is the company I first knew in 1995.  It's a cruise factory.  Well, at least the front office is.  Asking for special, creative service is like making a special order.  You may as well ask for your Big Mac to be cooked medium-rare.  That's not just a covid thing, either.  It's been the case for quite some time--pretty much since Voyager came out--and I go in knowing that very well these days.

If I want something like bespoke service, then I sail a smaller (and more expensive) line.  If I want personal service, then I work with a travel agent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pratique said:

$80 refund, new cabin, not a big deal for them

I'll give you that the $80 isn't that big of a deal, but the new cabin is.  Those cabins got people in them once the RoyalUp process is done.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

If I want something like bespoke service, then I sail a smaller (and more expensive) line.  If I want personal service, then I work with a travel agent.

I'm not expecting bespoke service, nor is the OP. This is just basic customer care stuff. Eventually Target took care of me (and I didn't ask for anything special, just the item I ordered), but the front line employees were worthless in resolving the issue. If Royal is not in a position to resolve simple customer issues, or at least make the customer feel like they care at least a little bit, then perhaps I'm about to be done with them. Can't speak for the OP.

12 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I'm not expecting bespoke service, nor is the OP. This is just basic customer care stuff.

I disagree.  The OP *IS* asking for special treatment.  Royal gave them EXACTLY what they requested and paid for.  The OP is not only asking for special treatment, they (and apparently you) feel it's DESERVED.  That's what I have a problem with.  

As far as your refund, based on the stories I've read on CC, Royal definitely needs better customer service there.  Issues refunds in drips and drabs, much less holding onto the refund for more than 30 days (shouldn't even be that long IMO) is unacceptable.  If I have a receipt (or multiple) showing I paid 
$1000 (for example), I shouldn't get one refund for $50, another a week later for $300, another for $250, etc, etc.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I disagree.  The OP *IS* asking for special treatment.  Royal gave them EXACTLY what they requested and paid for.  The OP is not only asking for special treatment, they (and apparently you) feel it's DESERVED.  That's what I have a problem with.  

As far as your refund, based on the stories I've read on CC, Royal definitely needs better customer service there.  Issues refunds in drips and drabs, much less holding onto the refund for more than 30 days (shouldn't even be that long IMO) is unacceptable.  If I have a receipt (or multiple) showing I paid 
$1000 (for example), I shouldn't get one refund for $50, another a week later for $300, another for $250, etc, etc.

21 minutes ago, wampuscat7 said:

How could Royal have known that you'd prefer the Spacious Oceanview vs. a Balcony if you left your bid in place? Frankly I would've assumed you still wanted the balcony if it were available. 

In the original post, the OP indicated that the cabin was initially changed for social distancing, not at the OP's request. Am I understanding correctly? Then the bid was accepted a month and a half later. Granted, there was a lot of time for the OP to retract the bid, but this still seems like an exceptional circumstance to me because the first cabin change was involuntary. What if the bid had been accepted the day after the initial change? I know this is a what-if. I'm just looking at this from the perspective that the initial move wasn't triggered by the OP.

Even if Royal decided to do nothing in terms of the cabin or the refund, at least a half-hearted "sorry how about a free specialty meal for your troubles?" Or something just to appease the customer. Telling the customer to go away is pretty lousy. IMHO.

Edit to add: again, I'm just looking at this from a customer service recovery perspective. I sometimes absorb costs that are caused by client delay just to keep them happy, even though it's not my fault. It is a cost of doing business and it pays off in the long run.

Edited by Pratique