Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test - Important Lesson Learned

Catclaws

I had the same issue.  My test arrived 1 October with a 19 September expiration date.  With the 3 month extension I was able to use 1 out of 6.  It felt like fraud.  I contacted emed 4 times with no success.  I disputed the charge with my credit card.  My credit card company reimbursed me.  Waiting for a response from emed.

On 1/1/2022 at 4:11 PM, Catclaws said:

I learned an important lesson today that I wanted to share in hopes of helping someone to avoid our situation.  We are scheduled to sail on Monday, 3 January. Because today was a holiday there were no COVID testing facilities open in our area we planned to use the Abbott EMed service.  We bought kits 8 October, thinking we would use them for a trip in October but saved them for the January trip.  We followed the rules about not opening the kit and figured with the 3 month extension on the expiration dates we were good to go.  Unfortunately the kits we received had expired 21 September, which was even before we ordered them and we did not realize that until we were opening the kits with the EMed proctor.  Now we are scrambling to find a test location for tomorrow or Monday morning with hopes of still making the cruise Monday.

If you are using the Abbott test kits sold through Celebrity/Optum Store be sure to check your expiration dates (it was under the outer sleeve packaging).  Also, you may want to order more than you need.  We had ordered 3 kits but they only sent 2 kits.  They refunded our money for the 3rd but we would have been out of luck if we needed three.

Yes! The same thing happened to us! 

Optum store is horrible. We ordered 2 and while they had not expired, when we opened one up there was no liquid in the bottle so we found ourselves in Mexico at a resort without a test because of it. We actually ordered 2 tests (there’s 2 of us) and one didn’t have liquid in the bottle and the other did. We asked the proctor if we can just use the leftover liquid from the 2nd test for the 1st one (there was plenty) and they wouldn’t let us. Thank God our friends had an extra test they brought along and we were able to use it. If you can, order the tests from eMed rather than the Optum store and always get a spare.