PHOTO REVIEW! Just off the Rotterdam.

Bostonjetset

I also enjoyed your photos of Vizcaya.  I grew up in Miami and we visited often.  I was always entranced at the beauty of the mansion, and would gaze in awe at the gold fixtures in the bathrooms, as well as the choices of sea or fresh water for the sink and bathtub!  Seeing the picture of the barge in the bay broke my heart a little bit...  The sea is rising and there are lots of steps not exposed anymore.  As a child I would dream about the parties they would have had on the barge.  A breathtaking property.  Thanks for the memories!💗

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

So nice to see that you mentioned Vizcaya....James Deering mansion - it really is spectacular & the site couldn't be more beautiful. Since it was built & furnished w European Antiques - it truly rivals any estate in Europe.

About 3 years ago I first discovered Vizcaya & so enjoyed visiting it.  at that time it was struggling to survive - they did have a gift shop that sold odds & ends.  I bought one of the original door knockers from the estate & used it in my home ever since. Several years ago I met a manager from the estate & asked me to donate it back

Thankfully  Vizcaya is in much better financial footing today & many more people will get to enjoy it - before Miami sinks.

29 minutes ago, Taters said:

I also enjoyed your photos of Vizcaya.  I grew up in Miami and we visited often.  I was always entranced at the beauty of the mansion, and would gaze in awe at the gold fixtures in the bathrooms, as well as the choices of sea or fresh water for the sink and bathtub!  Seeing the picture of the barge in the bay broke my heart a little bit...  The sea is rising and there are lots of steps not exposed anymore.  As a child I would dream about the parties they would have had on the barge.  A breathtaking property.  Thanks for the memories!💗

I am so happy that you both enjoyed this portion of the review. I also truly love it there! I live in New England and we have no shortage of Gilded Age mansions to tour however none of the gardens can compare to those at Vizcaya. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, esimon said:

i could be wrong but on a cruise ship - I have always had to ask for coffee with desert - once i asked for it with dinner and oh my the look I got - lol   

My last several cruises have been fixed dining so perhaps that’s why it was automatically brought. One of the pluses of fixed dining is the servers remember what you like. However I could have sworn on the Westerdam a few years ago we were always offered it in anytime dining. I could be wrong of course. Even in nicer land based restaurants most of the times the waitress will ask if you want coffee and/or dessert though.  Either way it stood out to me during this trip for some reason. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BelleEpoque said:

Your photos are so impressive! Curious what you shoot with?

Thanks for the lovely review. She’s a beautiful ship - very elegant. Can’t wait to try both Tamarind and the Grand Dutch Cafe. 

Thanks for the compliments!  These pics were just taken with my iPhone 11 lol. Nothing fancy at all. I’m glad you enjoyed the review. She is indeed a beautiful ship; and so much brighter than the older HAL ships.