Queen Victoria's Hull

Cunard Cruiser

when I was on the QM2, I was told that the Victoria would be more like a cruise ship than an ocean liner But then I was told the victoria would be a cruise liner.

in any event, most people I talked to said the the QM2 would probably be the last great ocean liner built for transocianic crossings in all seasons

I suspect that the hull of the Victoria is closer to a cruise ship than a liner.

In any event, I don't expect to know much about the Victoria unless it comes into New York Harbor and I take a cruise on her.

QUEEN VICTORIA will have an ordinary cruise ship hull.

There is some debate about whether this will be a Vista-class hull (like ZUIDERDAM, OOSTERDAM, WESTERDAM, NOORDAM, ARCADIA) or a SPIRIT-class hull (like CARNIVAL SPIRIT, CARNIVAL PRIDE, CARNIVAL LEGEND, CARNIVAL MIRACLE, COSTA ATLANTICA, COSTA MEDITERRANEA).

The difference between the two is that the SPIRIT-class hull, at 965 ft long, is 14 ft longer than the Vista-class hull. They are otherwise identical.

Cunard's information says that QUEEN VICTORIA will be 965 ft long, making her hull a SPIRIT-class one. (The superstructure and interiors are different from any of the existing Vista-class or SPIRIT-class ships.)

Now, the confusing part. Last year, QUEEN VICTORIA's keel and incomplete hull was floated out in early stages of construction to make way for another ship being built. Apparently it has now returned to drydock and construction has resumed.

However, I am told that when the hull was floated out, it was a 951 ft long Vista-class hull. If she is in fact to be 965 ft long, she will have to be cut in half and the extra 14 ft section inserted. It remains to be seen whether this will actually happen.

Either way, there is no doubt that she will be a cruise ship and not a liner... It is true that the word "liner" is being thrown around in Cunard PR a lot but the fact is that this is not true... She will just be an ordinary cruise ship.

Either way, there is no doubt that she will be a cruise ship and not a liner... It is true that the word "liner" is being thrown around in Cunard PR a lot but the fact is that this is not true... She will just be an ordinary cruise ship.

Doug,

If the 'job description' of 'liner' is 'maintain timetable for point to point voyages' (aka 'ferry') - couldn't the QV be a S L O W liner?

Peter

Doug,

On a QE2 Med cruise last year, Stephen Payne talked about QV as being a cruiser with some liner characteristics - including a strengthened bow and hull. He envisaged it being less of a liner and more of a cruiser. However, it would be 'in the Cunard tradition' - whatever that may mean!

From his comments I concluded that whilst it might be a 'standard' hull in terms of dimensions, it would be adapted to give greater rough weather capability.

Still not a true liner though!

Doug,

On a QE2 Med cruise last year, Stephen Payne talked about QV as being a cruiser with some liner characteristics - including a strengthened bow and hull. He envisaged it being less of a liner and more of a cruiser. However, it would be 'in the Cunard tradition' - whatever that may mean!

From his comments I concluded that whilst it might be a 'standard' hull in terms of dimensions, it would be adapted to give greater rough weather capability.

Still not a true liner though!

Well, it appears that this is among Cunard's definitions of what constitutes a Liner: From the naming ceremony article

http://www.cunard.co.uk/news/default.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=5143&Active=News

From the outside, her distinctive black and red livery will hint at what differentiates a Cunard liner from a standard cruise ship. This will be most evident in the ship’s adherence to liner traditions of the past, with elegant public rooms, many on a grand scale, featuring rich wood panelling, intricate mosaics and gleaming chandeliers. There will also be a grand, colonial-style conservatory, complete with central fountain and a retractable glass roof.

And, of course, the ship has been constructed with impressive sea keeping qualities that will enable her to travel easily and efficiently through the world’s oceans.

Ahhh, so it's that red and black livery that does it!

Karie,

Who really isn't certain WHAT constitutes a liner...any more.

[quote=travel-to-go

The opinion of THE authority is good enough for me.

"The only other ocean liner (other than QM2) extant is Queen Elizabeth 2" - John Maxtone-Graham.

David.

The opinion of THE authority is good enough for me.

"The only other ocean liner (other than QM2) extant is Queen Elizabeth 2" - John Maxtone-Graham.

David.

David,

As the QV is not yet extant, that doesn't answer the question.....and with all due respect to JMG - both the QE2 and QM2 have been dual purpose liner/cruise ships from the beginning.....

Peter

According to the "Queen Victoria Technical Information" currently posted on Cunard's website:

The hull of Queen Victoria has been analysed to ensure the steel structure can meet the demands of the Atlantic Ocean. Detailed calculations have been carried out to identify any critical areas and strengthening has been added to the steel decks and bulkheads to meet predicted stress levels.

The bow strength has been determined by the latest Classification Society Rules that consider the dynamic loading and pounding experienced by the fore end of the ship in extreme seas. The local "scantlings" or thicknesses of the steel structure have been increased to meet these requirements.

Thus, according to Cunard, the hull has been strengthened.

The bow strength has been determined by the latest Classification Society Rules that consider the dynamic loading and pounding experienced by the fore end of the ship in extreme seas. The local "scantlings" or thicknesses of the steel structure have been increased to meet these requirements.

Which is curious, as David Dingle, head of P&O, said of ARCADIA (ex-Queen Victoria) 'when she moved over to P&O Cruises...we put more steel in her bow in preparation for worldwide voyages...and made provision for internal mustering...rather than on open deck'......(Source: Southampton Echo ARCADIA Magazine)......which seems odd.....where exactly had they expected the QV to sail....and indeed were pax to muster on open decks....

Peter

I don't think QV is an ocean liner.

She is just another cruise ship from the Carnival / Fincantieri production line trading off the back of the Cunard legend.

Otherwise, she would be able to make 4 1/2 day great circle direct transatlantic crossings like we used to on the QE2, rather than stately Southerly six-plus day trips like cruise ships have to make on their biennial repositioning voyages.

Don't forget the record transatlantic Eastbound time is about 3 days 10 hours from back in 1952 by the "United States".

http://www.ss-united-states.com/

If the 'job description' of 'liner' is 'maintain timetable for point to point voyages' (aka 'ferry') - couldn't the QV be a S L O W liner?

To me an "ocean liner" is something that is designed and built for regular ocean crossings. QV will not be, ergo, in my view, she is not an ocean liner... But rather, just another cruise ship.

Stephen Payne talked about QV as being a cruiser with some liner characteristics

And I don't disagree with him there.

He has held up ORIANA (II), AURORA, ROTTERDAM (VI) and AMSTERDAM (III) as other examples of cruise ships that have characteristics "borrowed" from liners... However he has made it clear that those ships are still cruise ships, not liners.

Having been on ROTTERDAM (VI), one of Stephen Payne's "cruise ships with liner characteristics", in some fairly heavy seas I can say from personal experience that she does not instill the sort of confidence that QE2 does in bad weather. I'm sure she's perfectly safe but comfort is a different story.

it would be 'in the Cunard tradition' - whatever that may mean!

I think this means incorporating features like the Grills and a ballroom, which are pretty much unique to Cunard these days.

To me, an ocean liner is quite simply a passenger ship that was designed to make regular ocean crossings.

There are no specific features that make a liner a liner or a cruise ship a cruise ship... It has to do with the intended use of the vessel.

Of course, the intended use will in turn dictate the design of the ship.

I believe these words were penned before the present QUEEN VICTORIA was even on the drawing board! (Let alone extant, which arguably she is not yet as at the moment she is just some steel in a drydock in Italy...)

I don't imagine that John would consider her a liner, but I don't think his words from a couple of years ago are necessarily the best argument for calling her a cruise ship :) .

with all due respect to JMG - both the QE2 and QM2 have been dual purpose liner/cruise ships from the beginning

This is true! They are liners that were always designed to be able to cruise in the off season. But they are still liners in my book. As I said, to me a liner is a ship designed to make regular ocean crossings... "Regular" not necessarily meaning "one hundred percent of the time" :) .

The hull of Queen Victoria has been analysed to ensure the steel structure can meet the demands of the Atlantic Ocean.

If the hulls of the other Vista-class ships can't meet the demands of the Atlantic Ocean, then people who take trans-Atlantic positioning cruises in them must be in great peril :rolleyes: ...

But seriously, I am not surprised that her hull has been strengthened a bit. After all, even as a cruise ship, she is one that will probably sail across much of the world and even perhaps make ocean crossings a couple of times a year. She is, I think, being designed as a "global cruiser", like ROTTERDAM (VI), as opposed to a Caribbean/Alaska-centric vessel like the other Vistas.

So yes, she will have a slightly strengthened hull... But this does not a liner make.

The bow strength has been determined by the latest Classification Society Rules

Wow - she is going to comply with all the current rules - what a revelation :rolleyes: !

You've got to love PR people...

Which is curious, as David Dingle, head of P&O, said of ARCADIA

I have always found that quote rather curious too... Particularly the part about mustering indoors. How long have Cunard done this? I get the impression it has been quite a while.

It seems to me that these changes would have more likely been made when she was transferred from HAL to Cunard, not Cunard to P&O.

It is interesting to note that all the PR material from P&O spoke as though she had never gone to Cunard at all. I found this very odd, it included a lot of statements which were patently false in that "P&O Cruises" had been inserted where "Cunard" ought to have been.

Don't worry about the extra steel.............. just put some more of that red and black paint on!!!!

Cunard PR figures that is all that is needed to make the QV a liner.

Anyway........... Cruise ship or liner I suppose I will have to save some more cash and take a voyage just to see it perform for myself.

BUT............ If the RCL plan to refit and restore the SS United States to active service comes off............. it WILL win the race to my bank account!!:D

Archived