Eclipse Pacific Coastal Sailing To Vancouver (APR 16) Cancelled - Bad News For Alaska?

Fly and Sail

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Lots of jumping to conclusions here. The Eclipse is still shown as being in Vancouver on April 23, taking on passengers for her cruise to Hawaii. The Eclipse then returns to Vancouver before spending the rest of the summer with Alaska cruise before heading off to Hawaii and Australia at the end of September. None of these cruises have disappeared from the website, so I'd suggest that the cancellation of the Pacific Coastal cruise is not at all indicative of an issue with Vancouver or cancellation of the Eclipse's Alaska cruise season.

The Canadian government has already announced that it is consulting with the cruise industry to address such issues as passenger vaccinations and test requirements. The outcome of these discussions will hopefully be announced soon, but I would be very surprised to see cruise passengers subjected to the same strict test requirements as travellers flying or driving into Canada. No one wants a repeat of last year's Alaska cruise season débâcle. 

Agree that Canada wants cruise passengers to return to Canada.  We certainly do not know what things will look like in April or August, but don't cruise passengers on a cruise that originates or ends in Vancouver need to fly or drive there?  I would expect cruise passengers to have that same requirements as everyone else.  Victoria more difficult on southbound cruises.  Hopefully things settle down before April.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jy0ung1 said:

I believe the current cancelled cruises have nothing to due with Canada.  San Francisco and Sonoma County have changed travel requirements (SF you have to be boostered).   Only the last Pacific Coast Cruise was scheduled to go to Canada.  It is yet to be seen how Canada's policies my effect future cruises out of Vancouver.  I also believe the Alaska Tourism Act only applies to Alaska Cruises and would not apply to cruises to Hawaii. 

What SF "travel requirements" would come into play here? And what do you need a booster for? I flew into SFO 3 weeks ago and went everywhere without a booster.

You're definitely right, the ATRA only allows (allowed) to bypass Canada for the previous season. If Canada is playing games again then I'd expect this would be renewed. They opened pandoras box last year and IMHO these wholly domestic Alaska sailings ex SEA are the best thing ever.

4 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

What SF "travel requirements" would come into play here? And what do you need a booster for? I flew into SFO 3 weeks ago and went everywhere without a booster.

You're definitely right, the ATRA only allows (allowed) to bypass Canada for the previous season. If Canada is playing games again then I'd expect this would be renewed. They opened pandoras box last year and IMHO these wholly domestic Alaska sailings ex SEA are the best thing ever.

We did the Oct 1 cruise on Millie out of Seattle. It was real nice. Our June Alaska cruise will go to Hubbard Glacier. Hubbard's my favorite.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/26556-san-francisco-updates-booster-vaccination-requirement-for-cruise-passengers.html

• Like 1