Dining times

aisling323

When we booked the cruise, RCI site said early dining was at 6:15 and late was at 8:30, but when I looked at a Compass somebody posted for the Monarch, it showed dining times at 5:30 and 8:00.

Assuming the Compass times will be correct and since 5:30 seems so early, I changed my seating to late dining because I don't want to have to start getting ready at 4 and miss sail aways and pool fun. Will I be missing anything by changing, other than going to shows before dinner instead of after?

Which do you all prefer, main or late? And why?

I love the early seating. I had it on a cruise of Alaska last year, and will have it again when I go on my cruise in less than 3 weeks (yay!).

First of all, I hate eating late and going to bed on a full stomach. Especially with a meal with so many courses, it's nice to have some time to digest the meal before bed!

Also, I found that eating early left more time to enjoy the rest of the evening.

One huge downer about the early seating is having to get ready in time!! When we were in Alaska, my hair was a complete wreck every day because of the rain, so fully styling it before dinner was a must every day. Here's the problem with that: sometimes our excursions got us back to the ship with less than an hour to spare before that early seating! So sometimes I was late to dinner as a result, and I think it's rude to be late.

I'm not planning on doing as many excursions in Mexico, and I will time my arrival back on board accordingly. But after being sweaty and hot all day, the full hairstyling will be a requirement each day, so I plan to give myself enough time so I'm not late to dinner!

When we booked the cruise, RCI site said early dining was at 6:15 and late was at 8:30, but when I looked at a Compass somebody posted for the Monarch, it showed dining times at 5:30 and 8:00.

Assuming the Compass times will be correct and since 5:30 seems so early, I changed my seating to late dining because I don't want to have to start getting ready at 4 and miss sail aways and pool fun. Will I be missing anything by changing, other than going to shows before dinner instead of after?

I'm SO glad there's open seating on the Serenade cruise to Mexico this October. I'd hate to be forced into eating at a prescribed time and at a specific table with people I have absolutely nothing in common with.

Oh no... can anyone who's sailed Monarch lately confirm what time early seating really is? Now I'm worried. I was worried enough about getting my 4-year-old through the first 45 minutes of dinner until AO opens at 7pm... I know there's no way I can get him through the entire meal every night. I will definitely have to change to the late seating if dinner is at 5:30.

Oh no... can anyone who's sailed Monarch lately confirm what time early seating really is? Now I'm worried. I was worried enough about getting my 4-year-old through the first 45 minutes of dinner until AO opens at 7pm... I know there's no way I can get him through the entire meal every night. I will definitely have to change to the late seating if dinner is at 5:30.

I just wanted to sympathize for a minute about having a 4-year-old at a long dinner! My son was 4 when we cruised Alaska last year. I was surprised by how well he did. He was fascinated by all the silverware, and that kept him occupied for a while. He got a ton of attention from the waiters, which of course he loved, and they were very accommodating about the food, even bringing him things that weren't on the menu.

Because we were only seated with my mom and her boyfriend as well as another couple we knew well, by the end of the meal, when my son disappeared under the tablecloth to play discreetly under the table for a while, it was fine. Two hours is a long time for anyone to sit! And he always popped up in time for dessert, lol. I also noticed that as the week wore on and the routine was better established, he did better and better.

Best of luck, and enjoy your trip!

We are booked on the Freedom 9/10 and my TA said when she booked us that only the late seating was available....she talked to supervisors and they all say there is no way to switch until I am on board and can talk to the dining room once we get on the ship. My question is...has anyone ever tried to switch once they got onboard and was there any problems in requesting this? Would it be worth my while to call RCCL myself and try to get it switched. We are going with my 9 and 17 year old and while I think the 17 year old will be fine...trying to get my daughter to sit through a two hour dinner will be hard enough at our normal dinner time...lol.

Thanks for all your help :)

Julie

Yes, we are on the wait list and the lady at RCCL said today that since we C&A that will move us up this list faster but I hate to wait until the last minute to figure out this stuff. I will just hope that someone changes their minds and switches to late seating. Thanks for the reply :)

Julie

We always go for the late seating. It gives us more time to get back from shore excursions and get ready, especially on formal nights. In addition, we often end up eating lunch quite late when we're away and wouldn't really be hungry at 6:30. I'd stick with late seating if I were you.

We are doing early seating for our Alaskan Cruise this summer, I , like you, was concerned about eating that early...heck at home, we are all just getting home and changed at 6:15..but then I considered the time change...it is 3 hours..so at our 6-something seating..our bodies are going to be feeling like its 9-something...perfect. Thats about when we ususaly eat. I sure dont want to feel like I am eating dinner at (what my body thinks is) 11:30pm!!! Just something to think about..:)

We are doing early seating for our Alaskan Cruise this summer, I , like you, was concerned about eating that early...heck at home, we are all just getting home and changed at 6:15..but then I considered the time change...it is 3 hours..so at our 6-something seating..our bodies are going to be feeling like its 9-something...perfect. Thats about when we ususaly eat. I sure dont want to feel like I am eating dinner at (what my body thinks is) 11:30pm!!! Just something to think about..:)

Nice avatar.

I'm usually sitting down for dinner by 5 - 5:30. By the time the late seating comes around, I'm ready for a snack.

We are booked on the Freedom 9/10 and my TA said when she booked us that only the late seating was available....she talked to supervisors and they all say there is no way to switch until I am on board and can talk to the dining room once we get on the ship. My question is...has anyone ever tried to switch once they got onboard and was there any problems in requesting this? Would it be worth my while to call RCCL myself and try to get it switched. We are going with my 9 and 17 year old and while I think the 17 year old will be fine...trying to get my daughter to sit through a two hour dinner will be hard enough at our normal dinner time...lol.

Thanks for all your help :)

Julie

Somehow on our cruise of Alaska, my 4-year-old was mistakenly seated at a table away from me and my mother!! One of the very first things I did after boarding was to go to the dining room to speak to the maitre'd. They were wonderful and quickly shifted things around for me. Also, a group of friends who I ended up meeting while on the cruise told me their original tablemates were very rude, and so my friends (3 people) were able to get a small table of their own after two nights.

I think the ships do what they can to make sure you're happy about your dining situation. Let's face it -- so much on a cruise revolves around eating that they want you to be happy! :)

"I think the ships do what they can to make sure you're happy about your dining situation. Let's face it -- so much on a cruise revolves around eating that they want you to be happy!"

So true...okay, I will quit worrying about it, I am sure there will be more to worry about as the time gets closer...lol.

If it were just my husband and I, we would be fine with late seating but I think my 9 year old will have a really hard time sitting down to eat that late.

Julie

Archived