Small Print on FCC

hvsteve1

We have just moved our Feb. 4 Explorer to Jan 2023 Splendor.  Though the fare is higher, the upgrade promotion has us with the exact same cabin for almost the same price for an 11, rather than 10, day cruise. Our TA informs us that he found Regent will credit the entire cost of our cruise EXCEPT holding back $300 for the hotel room we're not going to use. I suppose they make non-refundable reservations.  If someone else takes our booking I guess they make an extra $300.  I don't know if we would have also lost the cost of our flight should we have used the free air, which we didn't because it's easier for us to drive than fly.  Not being able to go on this cruise breaks our hearts as we were to celebrate our 50th anniversary on board. My wife's doctor talked her out of going due to covid. 

I sympathize with you about losing $300 for the hotel night.  If there is one thing that irks me it’s having to pay for a hotel that I don’t get to use.  

However, if it’s any consolation I think your wife made the right decision.  We recently came off of a 12 night cruise (with Oceania) and we were appalled at how reckless our fellow passengers were, from not using hand sanitizers when returning to the ship, to using the washroom without washing hands afterward, etc.  After our first port (Aruba) several tested positive, and days later several more after other ports.  Whether it was the reckless ones or just victims I don’t know, but we hadn’t had our booster yet (thanks Canada!) and felt very vulnerable.