Post-Cruise PCR testing for Travel

Scoobs9

Has anyone recently done a post-cruise PCR test upon disembarkation, especially in LAX?  We need to do one to travel home (Canada) and need it done once off ship, but before our flight at 1:20pm same day.  We're on Bliss Feb 4 from Miami to LAX.  NCL is telling us they have a system ready, which we have to pay for (of course).

Any experiences appreciated!

• Like 1

Fellow Canadian here who is extremely pissed off that NCL will no longer be providing us with included PCR tests onboard for our travels home as was advertised at the time of booking.

There are two options I would recommend:

1.  Find the nearest Walgreens that offers testing and register for an ID NOW test.  This is a NAAT test which is accepted for entry into Canada, it is also rapid.  Typically Walgreens gets results out within 45 minutes (or has been the experience of myself and many friends who have done this).  Oh, and did I mention it's free?  Most pharmacies don't open until 10am, but would be easy to have your uber take a detour for a good tip.  Just make sure you book your appointment ahead of time.  

2.  SwitchHealth RT-LAMP kit.  This is a self administered test done via videolink with a SwitchHealth rep.  They will then send you a testing report.  The plus is the kit expires in 2023 so you can buy it ahead of time and use it when needed.  ($150CAD + HST)

Now that I have to source my own Covid-19 test in Puerto Rico on the 20th of Feb, I have purchased one of these RT-LAMP test kits as a backup but am hoping that either a)I'll test positive and get a free PCR courtesy of NCL (and 10 days of extra vacation in Puerto Rico) or b) I'll be able to get a test done at a local Walgreens saving my RT-LAMP kit for another day.

Edited by jules181

Hi Jules,

Appreciate your feedback.  

We too were promised, in writing, that NCL would perform a PCR test onboard the Bliss a few days before we disembark for free.  Policy changed and since I posted this, our travel agent spoke with NCL and secured a $100USD OBC to "compensate" the $120 fee charged once we get off the ship that morning.

Our timeline is pretty tight with a 1:20pm LAX to YYZ flight.  NCL says it shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully this works as promised.

On 1/28/2022 at 10:38 AM, Scoobs9 said:

Has anyone recently done a post-cruise PCR test upon disembarkation, especially in LAX?  We need to do one to travel home (Canada) and need it done once off ship, but before our flight at 1:20pm same day.  We're on Bliss Feb 4 from Miami to LAX.  NCL is telling us they have a system ready, which we have to pay for (of course).

Any experiences appreciated!

Please post after your cruise to what you chose to do. We will be flying home from LAX in early March. Right now I’m leaning towards ordering the Switch Health LAMP test. 

The quarantine hotel they dropped us off in Cape Canaveral had an onsite  testing facility for $100.

You can always get a PROCTORED test where they monitor you via your cellphone camera to verify it is you.  You need to follow their procedures but they will let you fly with it.

I will post after we return Feb 20th.  

For now, our plan is to use NCL's system on the pier once we disembark.  We will check with Guest Services onboard to see if NCL has changed policy (or Canada🙄) before the end of the cruise and honour their original commitment to us.  It's worth a try!

On 1/29/2022 at 2:51 PM, jules181 said:

Fellow Canadian here who is extremely pissed off that NCL will no longer be providing us with included PCR tests onboard for our travels home as was advertised at the time of booking.

There are two options I would recommend:

1.  Find the nearest Walgreens that offers testing and register for an ID NOW test.  This is a NAAT test which is accepted for entry into Canada, it is also rapid.  Typically Walgreens gets results out within 45 minutes (or has been the experience of myself and many friends who have done this).  Oh, and did I mention it's free?  Most pharmacies don't open until 10am, but would be easy to have your uber take a detour for a good tip.  Just make sure you book your appointment ahead of time.  

2.  SwitchHealth RT-LAMP kit.  This is a self administered test done via videolink with a SwitchHealth rep.  They will then send you a testing report.  The plus is the kit expires in 2023 so you can buy it ahead of time and use it when needed.  ($150CAD + HST)

Now that I have to source my own Covid-19 test in Puerto Rico on the 20th of Feb, I have purchased one of these RT-LAMP test kits as a backup but am hoping that either a)I'll test positive and get a free PCR courtesy of NCL (and 10 days of extra vacation in Puerto Rico) or b) I'll be able to get a test done at a local Walgreens saving my RT-LAMP kit for another day.

Thanks for the info!  I don't seem to see NAAT test on Walgreen anymore.  Just the PCR test.  But I still see it on CVS.    So have you tried it recently?  I had a colleague who came back hawaii, went to Walgreens, and said it's not free for non american citizens anymore?  Supposedly it changed recently.   But another friend came back from the California, and got it for free.  Hit or miss?

Lots of Walgreens in San Juan have NAAT available. 

It was never free for people who were not American residents/Citizens. 

However, you don't tell them.  The beauty of having a democratic president in, is documentation or proof is not required to access federally funded programs. Use a local address.  The pharmacy doesn't care, they get reimbursed for the cost of the test.   That being said, if you tell them you're non-resident, you will have to pay.

image.png.04105b933b3e70f83a0de42f63ea3f8c.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jules181 said:

Lots of Walgreens in San Juan have NAAT available. 

It was never free for people who were not American residents/Citizens. 

However, you don't tell them.  The beauty of having a democratic president in, is documentation or proof is not required to access federally funded programs. Use a local address.  The pharmacy doesn't care, they get reimbursed for the cost of the test.   That being said, if you tell them you're non-resident, you will have to pay.

image.png.04105b933b3e70f83a0de42f63ea3f8c.png

Thanks for the tip!  😉   Will do as you suggest!