Motion problems after cruise?

Flounder8

I get this after every cruise, and I never get any motion sickness on the ship itself. DW, who is prone to motion sickness, never experiences the post-cruise rocking...

The worst part is waking up and feeling the motion...and thinking for a few seconds that you are still at sea...only to then realize that you are back home, and worse yet, have to get up and go to work! I view it as a reminder of happier times!

I get that dizzy feeling too. Pharmacist said to start Bonine 2 days before sailing and continue for 2 days after sailing. This helped somewhat but I still had some dizziness.

I think we are constantly in motion on vacation and when we get home we just slow down so we really notice it more.

I used to use the Patch but I was getting reactions to that which was worse than actual motion sickness. So Bonine is my choice now.

It appeared for me after my second cruise. Didn't have a problem on ship, we had completely smooth seas. But I had problems for over a month:eek:, couldn't walk straight, had problems sitting up in chairs even, it was more than just an inconvenience. Finally went away taking seasick meds. Now, I take a small dose of seasick pills (half pill of meclizine - don't need a full dose) starting before I get on the ship until a couple of days after, and it clears up within two to three days. Will start taking my meclizine tomorrow evening in fact:D.

ah yes, the dreaded "phantom ship" as my DH and I call it. had it for a week after my 5 night last month. seas were choppy. i NEVER notice it on the ship--have never been seasick. but always feel like i am going to tip over once i get home. i also feel it more in the shower or anytime my eyes are closed. i think my inner self just wants to get back on a ship!

I've had the symptoms last for a week after a 4 nite and not at all after our cruise on the Navigator for a 7 nite cruise. Only difference was I took ginger while we were on the Navigator and I continued to it after the cruise for a few days too. Maybe that helped. I'll continue taking the ginger from now on and hope it always works.

I had this happen last year after Navigator... 2 weeks of feeling really woozy... :( Just when I began to think it would never end, it did.. :p

We had got off the ship and immediately hopped on a 12 hour flight home... I decided afterwards that I do better when I don't go directly from ship motion to plane motion. If I can, it's nice to take a day to get my land legs back before going home.

OMG! You all have me worried sick now :(

I thought maybe a little sea sickness if the seas were rough, but not to suffer when you get off!

I honestly never heard of this before, Navigator will be my first cruise and I am so looking forward to it.

If any of you have taken the channel tunnel train from the UK to France (it's only about 30 minutes) well i started to feel a little queesey for the last few minutes until we came up into the daylight again.

I am worried now that I will have motion sickness over Christmas (we get back Dec 23rd) :eek:

I felt the motion when we got back from our first cruise. It lasted about 2 days. Never felt sick....just walked funny. On our Thanksgiving cruise, one family we met had used the patch all week long and had a heckuva time shaking the feeling when they got back. It was suggested that they shouldn't have done that. I took a couple of ginger pills every day on all my cruises and never had any problems (even on rougher rides) and the "sea legs" didn't last more than a couple of days. Anybody else notice that you don't get this sensation at any ports...just when you get back home?

I get that too! I don't get seasick, just landsick! Well not even really landsick. I just can't walk straight and I see things like the walls and couches moving up and down when I know they're not! Rather creepy. It usually only comes around after I've been sitting for some hours after. This might be why you don't really feel it in the ports because you're still up and walking around for the most part. But once your home & relaxing then it all hits.

I seem to feel it the most at the airport on the way home. I'm sure I am a target for extra scrutiny at security because I'm walking so funny. But for me, it's not something that makes me sick...in fact it makes me smile because I know where I got the feeling from...and wish I were back there!

Happens to me every time, but for me it takes over two weeks to go away. After my first cruise I saw a doctor after a week of feeling the waves. He said I was just one of those people that experience it that way and it would go away. He was right, it just took two weeks.

The second cruise I took Bonnine the whole time on the ship to hopefully avoid the post-cruise waves. All it did was make me sleep through my cruise. The second cruise took two and a half weeks for the motion to go away after we got home.

It's now a week after my third cruise and I still feel the waves, but I know it will go away eventually. At least I don't get sick or feel nausia. It's more annoying than anything else right now. Hang in there.

Archived