Heart attack onboard, some observations

libtrek

On 2/4/2022 at 4:41 PM, mpk said:

We also aren't really concerned about the cost of the cruise, but of the real catastrophic stuff, like medical evacuation.  Is that what your coverage covers, just emergency medical stuff?  Not the smaller potatoes, like lost luggage, etc etc etc

That's the coverage I want.  Cruise is already paid for, so what is done is done.  I just want to make sure my medical is covered if that "big one ever comes, when I'm on a cruise ship".

My brother in law had a heart attack on the Panama canal cruise.  The evening before them arriving in Panama is when he had the heart attack.  The ship's doctor was able to revive him after shocking him with the paddles and medication.  Because his vitals were pretty stable the doctor felt he was stable enough to stay on board until the morning and they would take him to the hospital by ambulance.  The staff was very helpful, helped my sister pack up their things the night before, arrange for a hotel for her and stayed in contact everyday with her.  He end up having a stent procedure and their was some other issue going on, so his stay was over 10 days.  They gave him copies and CD's of every procedure they did.  They did have the Travel Insurance and a credit card to cover his hospital bill.  All and all everything turned out OK but it did take about 9 months for him to get reimbursed from his Travel Insurance he had bought from the cruise line. (He was on a different cruise line)