New to Carnival

tgrace

Hi ,

We have sailed on Fantasy over 13 years ago. Our last two cruises have been on RCCL voyager class ships. This time we are going with a group and have chosen to go on Valor. Can anyone offer information on any "carnival" things we need to know. Does the Valor compare to the voyager class ships?

Thanks for your help.

I have sailed a Voyager class ship and also one of the larger Carnival class ships (Victory which is just slightly smaller than the Valor). I think you will have a wonderful time. The main difference you will notice is the lack of the massive promenade (which really, how much time did you spend in there anyway and aside from the initial "wow" what is it good for?) and you will not find the ice rink, rock climbing wall, or mini golf course. My dh and I enjoyed those aspects but I don't think we will miss them on our upcoming Carnival cruise. We LOVED the food on Carnival and really missed all the different options when we were on RCI.

I think a cruise is more about the itinerary and who you are with. Enjoy the ship for what it has to offer and you will have a wonderful time! You will find a big difference between the Fascination and the Valor though. They are hugely different in size.

Have fun!

As you can see from my tag line, I have sailed several Carnival ships and the RCL Mariner of the Seas. I was actually dissappointed with RCL...yes the ship was beautiful, btu the functionality of the huge promenade really became a sore spot...it seemed to funnel everyone through that are...Then the crew puts on a skit in the middle of it and so it becomes gridlock!

I think Carnival, you will find the food and the shows are of better quality. Staff is usually ship specific so for me to judge by just the Mariner isn't fair, but we didn't have the best experience with RCL versus Carnival.

Other than that I agree the cruises are what you make out of the destinations and who you are with.

I have never had a "Bad" cruise....some are better than others, but you are on vacation so all are good.

When we sail Carnival, the first thing we do is head for the dining room to scope out our table assignment. We usually like our alone time at dinner and the Maitre'D has always accomodated our table switch to a private two seater. If you are travellign with a group and aren't all together at dinner, they will try to rearrange for that too.

Then we head for the buffett before it gets too crowded for the embarkation lunch. After that, we scope out the theater to see which seats offer the best view of the stage.

Then we wander the ship to find the best spots to sit back and take it all in or quiet spots to sit and relax.

At Dinner, I would suggest trying the Strawberry Bisque appetizer;) Also the Souffle dessert!

Which Itinerary are you sailing? My Sis In Law just got back from the Valor and she was very dissappointed with Honduras & Belize.

Archived