Question about Majahual beach

ColumbiaMDCanadian

I've read a lot about the beaches on these threads...thanks to all the informants(!) My question is this...

I am looking forward to a quiet beach day on our cruise in March 2006. Several of our other ports will be dive sites. We tend not to eat much on the beach after a big cruiseship breakfast:) and don't drink much either.

When on the beach at Majahual, are you always "associated" with a restaurant or bar that will expect us to buy stuff? I don't want to feel pressured. I have no problem supporting the locals, but as I said, we just don't need much. Is every patch of beach the front yard of an establishment?

When you take the taxi into Mahahual it will drop you off at the entrance of the pedestrian only village strip. Walk as far as you can and you should find a quiet beach area on your left ( vendors are on the right). Many of the beach area's do offer restaurant or bar service so even a coke is acceptable. The beach use is free and you may come across some vendors offering you things but the further from the shops you get the quieter it is.

If you go into town, you definately will feel pressured. They followed us around and even grabbed my arm a couple of times. They called my 14/yo dd "barbie" and one guy told her he loved her and followed her around! ugh. if you buy anything make sure to bargain. we bought things for $5 or $10 that started at $40 or $50.

I never felt pressured while at Mahahual village. I also am sure to find out before visiting any region what may be culturally customary. What I expect at home is not what I expect elsewhere. I am outgoing and it does not in any way bother me if someone grabs my hand to try to get me to look at their wares. I have no problem touching others or in being touched. Mahahual is my 17 year old daughters favorite place to go. Everyone is different and I think if you are open to change you will enjoy yourself even more.

My wife and I too felt the vendors were overly aggressive and pushy. There is no harm in mentioning this to potential visitors or chastising those who did not care for this type of interaction for mentioning this.

The purpose of this forum is to inform fellow cruisers of what they might expect. My wife and I do not include being hastled every step of the way as a great cultural experience as we do the Mayan Ruins or the local cuisine.

My wife and I do not include being hastled every step of the way as a great cultural experience as we do the Mayan Ruins or the local cuisine.

Everything you list is part of the culture...you can't really separate that. What you consider a "hassle" is an integral part of how business is done in Mexico and much of the Carribean.

I did not mean to sound as though I was chastising others but if that is what it takes to stop the negativity, then so be it. I think if someone knows what to expect as a "cultural" difference then they may not be offended by it. " Aggressive vendors" are the norm in our part of the world as well since we have many hawkers at our local flea market. It is considered normal and customary here and the locals would be offended if outsiders to our area came and criticized our way of life. I don't want to see people visit any place else in the world and give a negative twist to the cultural differences. Embrace those differences and turn them into a fun new experience. If a person doesn't want to be bothered with shopping then stay away from shopping areas completely. You can always stay on the ship and enjoy the pushy bar tenders trying to get you to buy more drinks or the pushy bingo announcers trying to entice you to win.

Isn't it great that we all have choices?

I think if someone knows what to expect as a "cultural" difference then they may not be offended by it. " Aggressive vendors" are the norm in our part of the world as well since we have many hawkers at our local flea market.

The intention of my post was to inform others of like mind what they could expect if they go to Majahual. I was merely agreeing with a previous poster on this thread. To liken the experience there with flea market vendors here is disingenous. I love going to swap meets and flea markets and would suggest I have gone to as many as most and have never been hastled, NEVER.

My whole point was that is an aspect of their culture that some such as myself care not to be a part of.

There are hundreds of posts on this site saying what a great place Mahajual is. I disagree, but never felt the need to post a reply regarding any of those individual messages in an attempt to suggest my position was superior because of some perceived noble purpose.

In my many years on this planet I have found that the people who preach tolerance are the most intolerant of opposing views.

ColumbiaMDCanadian,

I came to this thread looking for some info on Mahahual. Instead, I have info to give. Try the scuba and snorkle board for more help. I am an avid diver and in doing my reseach I found Maya Palms. Check out their website. Calling them will put you in touch with AL. If that fits your billet, I would be happy to share the taxi with you which is app. 15 dollars should you decide. I will be on the Veendam on 25 March.

To misinformed travelers on his thread:

My wife has a doctorate in education and her field of study was history and world culture ("We Are, PENN STATE"). This will be cruise #42 and we are traveling with over 30 friends and family. I have traveled to Mexico several times. Although I cannot speak professionally about such subjects, with my experiences I feel I am adept to address your misunderstandings.

It has been my experience that "tourists traps" are not examples or indemic of a country's heritage and culture. A town like Mahahual has app. 80-100 residents and everybody knows everybody. Taking into consideration that when all the cruise ships pull into town with 6000 plus tourists, it becomes their sole source of economic windfall.

I have witnessed "the phenomena" with vendors before. Whether you believe vendors are aggressive or not, chastising and arrogance are NOT acceptable behaviors here in the USA or anywhere you are a guest to. What I offer is to try this: When you feel like you're being overwhelmed by vendors disarm them by being specific about an item you would purchase. They will try and be helpful, but focus and choose only one guy (I prefer the nice little old man). We buy a large bottle of vanilla when this happens to us. A large bottle of vanilla is 3.95 and is of higher quality than that in the States. At least that's what I am told. We give it as a gift anyway. It can be a little humbling to them to see you are not a (stero) typical stuffy tourist looking for trinkets of self gratification or street soveigners. If they see you joking and praising one of their own for being very knowledgable for knowing where to get something specific you comand a different type of respect from them. By the way, a small tip will be appropiate (a buck or 2 makes "you the man" - euphormism defining you got control). Don't be suprised that later when you walk thru town the vendors will make only small hand gestures only to see if you just might look at their wares. A small head shake and/or slight hand wave off will suffice to ward off any further attempts to make a sale.

Finally I wanted to say, in town don't look like a target if trying to avoid vendors. Some dead give aways are looking in all the windows (window shopping). Being or wearing flashy clothes or jewelry, anebriated, etc.,etc., showing your wealth are some indicators you have money to spend, take the ATM hat off. The competition is tough for vendors and that is how the vendors try to level the playing field. They don't have the benefit of the large companies that have set up shops, ie. Diamond International, Columbian Emeralds, etc. and the cruise ship marketing them. Maybe it's tolerance on your part, but you are the guest...Paul:)

I know what the OP is trying to ask and maybe my experience can help. Once you arrive at Majahual beach, the further down the road you go away from the small shops, you will find the beach quieter and few if any restaurants/bars that might make you feel like you need to purchase food or drink. My husband and I scoped out the area and did decide to sit under a straw hut on the beach near a restaurant and had some of the best chips and salsa we've ever had for just a few dollars. We aren't big drinkers and were also able to get Diet Cokes in small bottles so we didn't have to worry about ice making us sick. It was very relaxing and we felt no pressure. This was not true with the shops next to the pier. Many of the vendors were extremely aggressive and almost hostile if you didn't want to purchase their wares. After just a few shops you can pretty much figure out which ones might be a problem and just don't go in them! Back to the beach, it was really just a "sit and chill" type of beach. My hubby tried snorkling just off shore but said it wasn't too good there. There were lots of people taking boats out for snorkling and diving and if I remember correctly there is a reef off shore a bit that would make for better scenery. MD--have a great trip. Costa Maya was a last minute substitute for Grand Cayman for us due to Hurricane Ivan and we had extremely low expectations and ended up enjoy that stop very much!

Archived