Traveling with baby, have a question

seas06

Hello Everyone!!!

I have a question regarding documents for a 4 month old. We are planning a cruise on April 06 and our son will be 4 months old. What kind of travel documents would we need for him? We have his birth certificate but does he also need a picture ID?

Thanks for the help!

Seas06

When we cruise with our children, we have only needed the orginal birth certificate with the rasied seal. No photo ID. We were on Disney Magic in February and that's all we needed (kids were 7 months and 4 years old)

Now I am being told that they MAY need a passport when we sail again. I don't know how true this is though.

Michele

According to RCCL's web site (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/cruiseDocsFaq.do#6), children under 16 do not need photo ID. This will, of course, change when the new passport requirement kicks in, but won't be an issue for an April 06 cruise.

My kids have always traveled with passports, but I've seen the experience of others and you should not have any problem!

I (personaly) would not be comfortable traveling out of the country with my children with out a passport..(no not required yet, but will be soon). Proves identity, proves citizenship, proves the child is who you say he is.

You can get rush service on a passport if you decide to , just go to the Department of State website and there is lots of info as well as travel advisories. Have a safe trip:)

Our son will be one when we cruise in December. We were told that we did not need a passport.

We really don't want to get him a passport as a baby, but may when he is around 2 or 3.

Just the birth certificate is what RCCL told me when I called in Dec.

Our son will be one when we cruise in December. We were told that we did not need a passport.

We really don't want to get him a passport as a baby, but may when he is around 2 or 3.

Just the birth certificate is what RCCL told me when I called in Dec.

As long as you are re-entering the US before Dec 31, 2006 you will be fine with a birth certificate. After Dec 31, 2006 everyone, including infants, will need a passport for sea or air travel between Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

Here's the web site for more info:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Just a suggestion if you don't have time to apply for his passport...Take him to the license branch & request a photo ID card. When we took our son to Grand Cayman he was 9mo old. They issued him a card that looked just like a drivers license and then had my DH sign his name & our son's name. In fact, there was a # on the license. They told us that if we renewed the ID every 4 years that that would be the # on his drivers license when he turned 16.

This ID worked well for us & gave us peace of mind in case we needed it while traveling abroad. It had a picture, stated his name, age & physical stats.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just a suggestion if you don't have time to apply for his passport...Take him to the license branch & request a photo ID card. When we took our son to Grand Cayman he was 9mo old. They issued him a card that looked just like a drivers license and then had my DH sign his name & our son's name. In fact, there was a # on the license. They told us that if we renewed the ID every 4 years that that would be the # on his drivers license when he turned 16.

This ID worked well for us & gave us peace of mind in case we needed it while traveling abroad. It had a picture, stated his name, age & physical stats.

Enjoy your cruise!

We did the same thing when we took our kids, ages 14,10,9,6 and 2, with us last summer. The state issued photo id cards only cost us $15 each, much, much cheaper than a passport. Of course, next year, we're going to have to invest in the passports anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all the info. We ended up getting his passport and are now waiting for it. Since it will be requiered by the end of the year anyway. It should arrive on time for the trip. Getting an infant to stay still for the passport pictures was an adventure but we think we got good ones. At least the lady at the passport office thought it was. Since he is a minor it will be good for five year.

Happy cruising to everyone!

Archived