Just A Few More Monarch Questions...

Wendi&Max

Should I take a swim vest for my 4-year-old?

Will there be a refrigerator in our outside room on deck 8?

How much are items at Jade? Is it a pay one price for all you can eat or by the item? Is it any good?

What activities or shows should I absolutely not miss?

I didn't eat at Jade, but I looked at the menu, when I was on her in December. The prices are per piece and I recall being very surprised at how low the prices are. Sushi is a big thing in Sacramento (who'd have thought?) and we pay some pretty good prices, per roll. As I recall, the rolls at Jade were in the $2 to $3.50 range. Although Jade charges in the restaurant, I was told that you can get sushi for free, during lunch, in the Jade behind the Windjammer on Deck 11.

I love sushi, but it seems I'm always traveling with "meat and potatoes" folks.

We had a refrig, but we were in a JS. If you're not sure, call RCI. I know they aren't the most helpful, most of the time, but you'd think they'd know.

Sorry I can't answer the kid questions.

Anyone know if the ship provides swim vests??? I do realize they have life jackets on board... but I doubt they'd like it if we used them for swimming... hehehe :p

How about the fridge... anyone know? I guess I'll take a collapsing cooler if there's no fridge.

Ok, don't shoot me if I am wrong...... bring a vest, they don't have them, and there will be a VERY SMALL fridge....(mini bar)

I am going from other ships here because I have not been on Monarch in a LOOOOOONG time!!

Jen

Adventure of the Seas ....69 days!

Jewel of the Seas 2005

Explorer of the Seas 2004

Voyager of the Seas 2002

Monarch of the Seas 1994

Anyone know if the ship provides swim vests??? I do realize they have life jackets on board... but I doubt they'd like it if we used them for swimming... hehehe :p

How about the fridge... anyone know? I guess I'll take a collapsing cooler if there's no fridge.

Just my opinion. I wouldn't carry a vest onboard. The ship has a "kiddy" area at the pool which is just right for the younger kids. My daughter (4) has a blast in there. The main pools are salt water and from what I've seen with my kids and other children. Once they taste the water, they start to spit and make the yuk face, and are ready to get out soon after getting in.

Next - Deck #10 is the only place I have seen a frig onboard. Deck #10 is dedicated to JS and above. All of the suites have one.

Next - Jade's is a GREAT place to eat. If you like Sushi, your not going to beat the price anywhere. You have pay each time you eat there.

Lastly - As stated above. Don't miss the Dueling Pianos show. The Salsa band is normally really good too. My wife and I always make it a point to goto the Love & Marriage show (Spin off of the Newlywed Game). And, Karaoke is normally good for laugh too.

Thanks for the info, ladylawyer... I'm in Davis so I know what you mean about sushi in Sacramento (but I'm from San Francisco which is where I really became very attached to Japanese food!!!)

Wendy, we live in the wilds of Fair Oaks, but are happy that the original Mikuni and a branch of Taka's are nearby. :D One of my CC buddies had an outside on 8, when we were on the Monarch. I've emailed her, to ask if she had a fridge (although I suspect that Tony is correct about them being on 10, only). I will warn you, however, that the cabins on the Monarch are much smaller than what you may be used to from other cruises. We've been on Deck 3, on the Radiance and Vision, and our Radiance and Vision cabins were palaces next to the cabins on Monarch's 8th Deck. FYI, the "L" formation, for the beds, gives the best floorspace configuration. I booked a JS, just because I was rushing to Platinum status, but was happy when I visited my friends. Good news, the Deck 8 cabins are waaaay bigger than the insides on 5.

However, with that said, it's a cruise and there's nothing better than being on a cruise ... besides, how much time to you spend in your cabin, anyway? I hope you have a wonderful time. Maybe we can meet sometime, for sushi. Like you, I started my sushi love affair when I was in school in SF.

I'll let you know, as soon as I hear back from my friend, regarding the fridge. ~ Lorna

The SO rooms on deck 9 have refrigerators in them, ours has one and there have been pics posted of a deck 9 room that show a fridge.

Oh, thank goodness! My parents have an SO on 9 and I assumed that I would be storing my Mom's Caffeine-Free Diet Pepsi in our cabin. ;)

How much are items at Jade? Is it a pay one price for all you can eat or by the item? Is it any good?

When are you cruising on the Monarch. My DW and I are aboard on Friday, the 3rd for a week. Any other questions, let me know and I answer them on our return.

Rick

Wendi,

Just received an email from a fellow Monarch cruiser, who was in an oceanview on Deck 8. She advises: No refrigerator; no safe. Sorry. Maybe you can make friends with someone on 9 or 10 and ask to borrow some fridge space ;)

Have a fun cruise!

PS: I'm going to add a "me too" to the Dueling Pianos at Boleros. They played 3 of the 4 nights, on our cruise (different themes) and were more than entertaining every night. The show is late and I know you have your son. There are places in the back that are kind of quieter and dark. If you'd like to check out the show, I think it would be OK to bring Max (he'll probably just sleep). There's a little "adult content," but nothing so overt and would probably go over his head, if he is awake. However, mostly, it's fun music with comedic overlay.

No fridges on deck 8 (but lots of ice).

I don't know about Jade (we're from Concord and really don't eat sushi)

Don't miss "Quest" at 10:15pm or The Love and Marriage show at 10:00pm (auditions at 9:45). They are on seperate nights. They are both late shows so do the $5 an hour (after 10pm it is $5 an hour) after hours party zone. Your 4 year old will love Ocean Adventure!

Archived