NCLH Earnings and possible link/impact FCC and customer service

Homerody

4th quarter earning are in:  NCLH reported larger than expected  EPS and Revenue misses (vs expectations).  FDR Stated that NCHL has strong booked position and pricing.

One has to wonder if the financial situation is one of the drivers behind the parsimonious zero FCC policies for the recent round of last minute cancellations (Such as Marina South America sailings)and intransigence regarding FCC in general.

O's customer service position is:  Ok, so we had to cancel the cruise, our sole obligation to you is a refund and a perfunctory apology.  Sorry about everything else, but there is nothing else to talk about.

While true, the corporate response to last minute cancellation is really lacking, in my view. But oh well, the doors are: like it,  lump it... Or leave it...   Door number 3 Monty, please.

This means the most to me, PRICING, rising:

"...despite these challenges which were mostly out of our control, our booked position and pricing remain strong, particularly for the second half of 2022 and into 2023, demonstrating the strong fundamental demand for our cruise offerings.”

Norwegian said strong ticket pricing and onboard revenue spend drove positive contribution from the fleet that operated in the quarter. 

As a result, the company’s current cumulative booked position for the first half of 2022 is below the extraordinarily strong levels of 2019 at substantially higher prices even when including the dilutive impact of future cruise credits (FCCs)...."

Norwegian Reports Q4 2021 and Business Update - Cruise Industry News

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

With the world situation as it is..what would you want them to do??

Jancruz1

How about a customer-centric policy that says we know some of our passengers get to the embarkation city early.  If we (O) cancel the sailing within 7 (or x) days of sailing we will provide passengers who prove their early arrival with a FCC in the amount of xyz.

Such an approach acknowledges that a last minute cancellation imposes an undue burden and a multitude of inconveniences and issues to passengers who are already in the city of embarkation.

Cancelling a cruise on the evening of 4 January  - sailing date 8 January - with a simple oh the requirements changes and are too onerous does not cut it for those on their way or already there.

And how about if I decided the world situation is such and cancelled on 4 January because the then current rules are too onerous?  Fear/not wanting to travel is not a covered trip insurance event unless one has CFAR coverage - and generally that covers 75% of insured nonrefundable costs and must be claimed no less than 48 hours prior to departure (generally).

So if I cancel at the last minute, will I be able to say to O give me back my money or a portion of it.   Me thinks not! 

And oh, who about O customer service/special services actually talking to customers.  My recent experience was having to leave a voice mail after which I was told in an email that I must detail my concerns in writing.  On the one hand I see the benefit of documentation on the other hand O's email (which I will not post here) left me with the impression we (O) need every thing in writing because "dear customer" we  (O) think you are a .....   ah nevermind....

Someone or some-many will respond here that I am b***ching about nonsense and first world problems.  Well the shoe will be on the other foot one day.

Needless to say the whole customer service experience has been a huge fiasco and not conducive to future consideration of O.   

Edited by Homerody
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1