What to do near pier in Helsinki?

We will be on the Enchanted Princess docking in Helsinki April 29.  This is before the sightseeing buses are up and running in May.  Is there anything to see near the pier - I've heard there's a market nearby.  Thinking we may just want to do a bit of shopping for souvenirs here.

Here is a link to a map of the Helsinki cruise ship piers:

https://www.portofhelsinki.fi/en/passengers/international-cruise-ships/cruise-quays

I believe most ships will dock at Numbers 1, 2, or 3.  The page indicates "There are souvenirs, toilets, internet and phone and guide services on the quay." at this location.  My ship docked here several years ago.  Just walking around this area's services is not going to be a very satisfying day.  I would suggest you seek out what your options are for transportation to the city's more tourist-oriented area.  The tourist area is much closer to the other cluster of ship piers shown on the map.

My cruise line (it was NCL) or the city provided a shuttle bus to/from the city center tourist area.  I do not recall if it was free or not.  Again, that was several years ago.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

A few years ago we took a shuttle to the downtown area, I think it was maybe $10 each. In the downtown area by the water there was a market with fish, fruit and lunch items (crepes were wonderful). Next to the ship was a tent with things for sales but not really a market. There were T-shirts and souvenirs. It's really a walk through.

Most cruise ships will indeed use the quays at Hernesaari and the immediate neighbourhood there is rather boring. For time being it is somewhat industrial area, albeit there are plans to redevelop the area with new housing and extend the tram lines to cover the whole length of the peninsula. Probably the closest point of interest to the quays is Löyly sauna and restaurant complex (it is the building shown next to the number 1 in the map that is found if you follow the link listed in the earlier answer). Worth a note that it seems that on most days Löyly opens rather late: restaurant side at 11 o'clock, sauna side opening times are more varied, but on weekdays the opening times are in afternoon.

The nearest market place is at Hietalahti (again on that map, Hietalahti market hall is the building NNE from the Hernesaari) and I guess it is sufficiently close that you could walk there if you want to, but it is less tourist oriented place compared to the main market square, which is further away and thus most people probably want to take some sort of transportation rather than walk there. I would guess most cruise lines have arranged some sort of shuttle busses for their customers to get closer to that part of city and then there is always the option to use the Helsinki region's quite extensive public transport to travel around the city. See HSL website for further information on the public transportation (busses, trams, metro and local trains + Suomenlinna ferry).