Would you cruise out of New Orleans?

airlink diva

We're hoping the Conquest will be back before we sail in Nov.

Go and have fun.

From what I've heard and read both here and from my PVP, the Conquest is not moving from Galveston. I've been told that it is staying there permanently. We're sailing on her 4/15/07 and I'm hoping it doesn't move...

I have a group of friends that want me to set up a cruise. All of them are first time cruisers. Since I cruise and travel often, they are leaving it up to me.

One of the primary request is a 3 or 4 day cruise with a port that's within a day driving from where we live (Olive Branch, Mississippi and Memphis,Tennessee). I was considering Moblie, but I noticed that New Orleans also have sailing for the time that we want to go (November). But do you think that I should stick to Moblie? I'm just worry about the city situation. Please send in suggestions.

Honestly, NO and it has nothing to do with the Hurricane. My conquest cruise was the worse thing ever. Not becuase of the ship or anything to do with Carnival but because of the people. The boat was full of ghetto thugs and gangsta's and didn't feel like a cruise at all. Granted this was about 12 months after 911 so they were really discounting the cruises but I'll never cruise out of NO again. Ever!

Honestly, NO and it has nothing to do with the Hurricane. My conquest cruise was the worse thing ever. Not becuase of the ship or anything to do with Carnival but because of the people. The boat was full of ghetto thugs and gangsta's and didn't feel like a cruise at all. Granted this was about 12 months after 911 so they were really discounting the cruises but I'll never cruise out of NO again. Ever!

Care to give a more detailed explanation?:confused:

The new parking garage should be open by the end of the year...

You can see it in the webcam and WHOA - is than another cruise ship is in port for Mardi Gras?

http://www.portno.com/cruise_term.htm

The ship in the webcam shot should be the Ecstacy. It is still being used for hurrcane relief and is tied up to the cruise terminal there.

Care to give a more detailed explanation?:confused:

I'm telling you it was full of the most obnoxious people ever. Tons of folks in gangsta attire acting all gangsta like. Loud obnoxious it was the first time where I didn't thouroughly enjoy my cruise. It was like 85 degrees and they are all sitting around the pool in jeans and basketball jerserys totally drunk and smoking up a storm and just being loud and obnoxious. In the evening in the DR jeans and jerseys as well. Felt like I was in the line for govt cheese instead of a cruise. It was really bad.

I'm telling you it was full of the most obnoxious people ever. Tons of folks in gangsta attire acting all gangsta like. Loud obnoxious it was the first time where I didn't thouroughly enjoy my cruise. It was like 85 degrees and they are all sitting around the pool in jeans and basketball jerserys totally drunk and smoking up a storm and just being loud and obnoxious. In the evening in the DR jeans and jerseys as well. Felt like I was in the line for govt cheese instead of a cruise. It was really bad.

Could it have been a large group booked on that one particular cruise?

Since 2001 (actually before), I've done a couple of cruises a year out of New Orleans and not one was as you describe. Last year was my first exception to not cruising out of New Orleans and that was because the cruises were relocated to Houston and Galveston.

Before the end of 2006 I will be cruising again out of New Orleans and look forward to it.

It could of and it could have just been bad luck but I have too much fun on my cruises to take another chance on that port

I understand your point of view on this. If it happened to me, it would definitely be a factor in taking a cruise there. One thing to add though. For good and/or bad the majority of the "gangsta" type that you referred to in your above post does not live in New Orleans any more. The blue collar workers were the one's hit the worst from Katrina. The New Orleans pre Katrina and post Katrina will probably end up very different from each other. :(

If that is the case (pre-katrina vs post-katrina) then the port you would want to avoid would be Galveston...since (according to the increase in crime stats in Houston) that is where the "gangstas" apparently went.

Oh GREAT!!! I'm cruisin' out of Galveston:eek: .......I wonder what sort of prayer would get them to relocate to Antartica???:confused:

Thanks for the webcam site.. I love looking at the one in Galveston every weekend. Now I have something new to look at.:)

Only bio hazards that we now have down here is that generated and emitted by our local, state and national politicians and some out of town so called journalist and talk show hosts.:D

As usual all the lawyers are trying every trick to earn a buck at the expense of some one else. That is a large part of the bio hazard story.

In fact we have a British cruise ship in port yesterday and today. It is on a world cruise and is making only 3 port calls in the US and New Orleans is one of those port calls.

Port is open and ready. Hotels and restuarants are open and doing business. Mardi Gras hotel bookings are over 95% full already.

Come on down and let the good times roll.

Remember to bring your money now!:D We can sure use it.

Good to hear a locals perspective. Good luck to all those still living in NO, and I'll see you soon!

If that is the case (pre-katrina vs post-katrina) then the port you would want to avoid would be Galveston...since (according to the increase in crime stats in Houston) that is where the "gangstas" apparently went.

You would be correct from my POV and living in the Houston area. I've met some really great NOLA folks though, so let's not give all the great Cajuns a bad rap. It is totally astonishing just how bad the crime has gotten in coincidentally, the areas where most of the FEMA housing was approved, etc. Yes, Houston has crime everywhere, but it has grown substantially. My SO is working the Entertainment stages at the Galveston Mardi Gras this weekend, so it should be fun for anyone leaving this weekend on the Conquest. I'm looking forward to booking Conquest sometime next year, but will not go into NOLA for probably at least another 1-2 years to party

It really disheartens me to read all of the misconceptions people have about coming to New Orleans right now.

New Orleans is ready for tourists now. Not at the level that she has been in the past, however. There are many fewer hotel rooms available, but there are rooms available. Restaurants may have staffing shortages and limited menus, but you will still eat better here than you would in a lot of other places. A lot of our attractions are still shuttered, but that still leaves us with more to do and see here than in a lot of other places.

And if you want to come to town and visit the French Quarter, Garden District and Uptown you don't have to be concerned with any biohazards.

Believe me, the average tourist, especially one who's just coming in for a night or two before or after a cruise probably won't even see the hardest hit areas.

Please don't wait a year or two to come, the city is ready for you now and she wants you to come.

If anyone is in the area, run into the Omni Royal Orleans and give my cousin a shout. He plays in the piano bar (and has for about 9 years). They have been up and running for months now and ready to provide all the fun you can handle.

Archived