Divina VS newer ships & forward suite Q

thespartyof3

We’ve sailed on the Seaside, Seaview and the Grandiosa, which I know are all newer ships (or they were at the time when we sailed). We’ve also sailed on newer ships on NCL, Celebrity, Carnival and Royal Caribbean (x5). 

We are 2 adults and our 2 year old for our next sailing in late 2022. We have currently booked on the *new* Seascape (booked in a Aurea Aft Suite with wraparound balcony). The itinerary is somewhat dull compared if we change to the Divina. 

I know Divina is about 10-ish years old. I’ve looked at photos and it still seems nice. Our child’s LOVED the splash pad on the Seaview, I don’t believe Divina has anything similar (couldn’t find photos?). Will we be disappointed with Divina given we’ve only been on MSC’s newer/larger ships? 

If we booked Divina (10 day sailing) we would book forward Aurea grand suite. I know the balcony is somewhat odd and it somewhat hugs the front of the ship? Will it be windy and usable when the ship is at sea? Has anyone sailed in the Grand Suite on the Divina? Thoughts?

I've sailed Divina in an aft balcony, regular balcony and forward corner Aurea suite (10007).  There is an older thread here in the MSC forum that describes in detail the advantages/disadvantages of each deck''s corner suites because they are all different.  It may be difficult to find that thread as CC's search function doesn't work well now.  Deck 10 is generally the preferred level, deck nine's cabin is larger but has a lot of obstruction from the bow and the other decks are a little smaller cabin wise but have good views but also smaller balconies.  The cabin door to the balcony is on the side so opening it while under way is okay but the wind out there can be brutal.  The thermal area on the Divina (and the ship in general) doesn't compare to the newer ships and now that Aurea doesn't get a drink package there is little to justify the price of Aurea.  The corner suites do have the separate living area but have only one bathroom with a tub.  Hopefully MSC spent some time on these cabins during Divina's recent refurbishment as they were badly worn when we sailed.  You can see reviews in my signature or ask me any other specific question.

16 minutes ago, Boschmann said:

I've sailed Divina in an aft balcony, regular balcony and forward corner Aurea suite (10007).  There is an older thread here in the MSC forum that describes in detail the advantages/disadvantages of each deck''s corner suites because they are all different.  It may be difficult to find that thread as CC's search function doesn't work well now.  Deck 10 is generally the preferred level, deck nine's cabin is larger but has a lot of obstruction from the bow and the other decks are a little smaller cabin wise but have good views but also smaller balconies.  The cabin door to the balcony is on the side so opening it while under way is okay but the wind out there can be brutal.  The thermal area on the Divina (and the ship in general) doesn't compare to the newer ships and now that Aurea doesn't get a drink package there is little to justify the price of Aurea.  The corner suites do have the separate living area but have only one bathroom with a tub.  Hopefully MSC spent some time on these cabins during Divina's recent refurbishment as they were badly worn when we sailed.  You can see reviews in my signature or ask me any other specific question.

Thank you for your detailed response! 

I had no idea the Divina underwent a refurbishment. Will have to look into that further.

We are interested in this cabin since it’s a 10 day sailing and space is great with a toddler. Mind you, we did 14 nights in an Aurea aft suite just fine. Given the issue with the wind, is it feasible to assume if you are sitting on the part of the balcony on the side of the ship (starboard or port) it’s okay? 

Price wise this cabin for 10 days = 7 days on a Seascape with a less interesting itinerary. I know the Aurea benefits have been watered down which sucks for either sailing. 

1 hour ago, thespartyof3 said:

Thank you for your detailed response! 

I had no idea the Divina underwent a refurbishment. Will have to look into that further.

We are interested in this cabin since it’s a 10 day sailing and space is great with a toddler. Mind you, we did 14 nights in an Aurea aft suite just fine. Given the issue with the wind, is it feasible to assume if you are sitting on the part of the balcony on the side of the ship (starboard or port) it’s okay? 

Price wise this cabin for 10 days = 7 days on a Seascape with a less interesting itinerary. I know the Aurea benefits have been watered down which sucks for either sailing. 

We have been on the Divina, Seaside and Seashore.  Our favorite ship of all cruise lines (NCL, Celebrity, Princess and Carnival) is the Divina! Disappointed that it does not have as nice of a spa as the Seaside or the Seashore but that is basically the only downfall for us and no longer a problem since the week pass went up so much lately.

The Divina does not have a nice water park for the kids like the newer ships but the main pool does have a section for wading for the that the kids play in.  

Love the itinerary on the Divina. We did 32 days on her, an 11, a 10 and an 11 b2b2b.  Looking at doing the same itinerary on the Divina if available next year.  Would not do the Seaside or the Seashore again.  Too many people and the layouts are crazy.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:23 PM, thespartyof3 said:

We’ve sailed on the Seaside, Seaview and the Grandiosa, which I know are all newer ships (or they were at the time when we sailed). We’ve also sailed on newer ships on NCL, Celebrity, Carnival and Royal Caribbean (x5). 

We are 2 adults and our 2 year old for our next sailing in late 2022. We have currently booked on the *new* Seascape (booked in a Aurea Aft Suite with wraparound balcony). The itinerary is somewhat dull compared if we change to the Divina. 

I know Divina is about 10-ish years old. I’ve looked at photos and it still seems nice. Our child’s LOVED the splash pad on the Seaview, I don’t believe Divina has anything similar (couldn’t find photos?). Will we be disappointed with Divina given we’ve only been on MSC’s newer/larger ships? 

If we booked Divina (10 day sailing) we would book forward Aurea grand suite. I know the balcony is somewhat odd and it somewhat hugs the front of the ship? Will it be windy and usable when the ship is at sea? Has anyone sailed in the Grand Suite on the Divina? Thoughts?

No, you won't be disappointed at all. You'll settle right in.  We've done the Seaside twice and the Meraviglia.  I go to the gym everyday, and liked how the gym is positioned so you can see out the whole front of the ship.  It's different on the Mera.  Oddly, on the Davina it seemed like there was more elevators closer together that were very prompt. We also used those rear elevators to drop in to the buffet and sit where it was more spread out before going into the lines to get food.

Edited by CampNCruise74