1/2 Full Xpedition vs Brand New Flora?

mahdnc

We are booked on a Nov 2023 Xpedition sailing (Xpedition Suite). I noticed that on the same week and for a couple hundred dollars more, I can book a Sky Suite with a traditional balcony aboard Flora. 

I like the idea that Xpedition is only licensed to sail with half the passengers that it has the capacity to carry (48 with a capacity for 100). I also know that Flora is brand new, state of the art, eco friendly, and designed specifically for the Galapagos but carries 100 passengers. I also think the Sky Suites are bigger than the Xpedition Suite. 

If the itineraries (which is the most important factor) were not a consideration, is it worth switching over to a new ship carrying twice as many people?

Only you can determine what your priorities are. I've sailed on Xpedition twice. It was comfortable when it was at full capacity, but purely luxurious with only 35 onboard (October 2021).  I cannot compare it to Flora, other than to say some of my clients have sailed Flora and have been very happy. We stayed in an Xpedition suite on both sailings and found it to be spacious. 

Honestly, if I were to go again, I'd probably choose the Xpedition. If, as you say, it was only a couple of hundred more, I'd probably choose Flora, just to see what it's all about. If "new" is important to you, go in that direction.

You are going to hear from both the Flora and Xpedition passengers and am doubtful you'll hear negatives from either.

As you seem to already know, the trip is all about the Galapagos and you're in for the trip of a lifetime no matter which ship you choose.

We were on the Xpedition twice. The first time was when they first started sailing, and the second was after they added the extra deck on the top. I would go on the Flora. It is new and so pretty. Our issue with the Xpedition is we were on the top deck the last time, and at night, the ship would anchor. The movement was terrible and one night the swells were so bad our  locked safe came open, everything went all over the room. Wine glasses broke, and it was a real mess. In my opinion the ship is top heavy. Go on the Flora. 

I sailed on Xpedition in December with only 36 passengers. I very much enjoyed this trip and this ship. So much in fact that we booked a return trip for June 2023 on Xpedition. The Xpedition suite was great for us but we sure did not spend much time there. The small number of passengers made it easy to get to know everyone and I thought made for a much more pleasant experience than having more than double the numbers. We loved having breakfast on our balcony and the small number of people on the ship ensured we had personal attention and they made every effort to get the details perfect. While the ship did rock a good bit one night, it was not a problem for us.

While I have never been on Flora, I have trouble imaging how having 100 people would improve the experience in any way. I should think the food and service would be the same except perhaps less personal. I also suspect the Quito portion of the trip is better with a smaller group.

I think you're going to love the trip on either ship.

• 4 months later...

We were booked on the Xpedition 8/20/22 cruise with Quito package before and after.  I thought like most of you I'd like a smaller crowd.  But for me with my bad knees, finding the Xpedition had NO elevator was a deal breaker.  I figured my knees would be shot by the time I got into the Zodiac after coming down from deck 6, (and multiple times per day) so I might have to cut back on hiking on the islands.  We had a suite on the Xpedition so we switched to the Flora, sailing 1 day later.  One things I noticed, from the postings of Mary Greenburg,  (Flora April 20220 was that there might be more options for different excursions on the Flora with 100 than on the Xpedition with 48.  Whatever you choose it will be good!