OT: Anthony burger dies on Holland American ship

dawcruiser

Early this week a well known pianist Anthony Burger died. Anthony was 44 years old. He was preforming on the Bill Gaither Homecoming cruise aboard an Holland American ship. The following was forwarded to me from Mark Lowry.

"I just received a phone call from Michael Lord, Stan Whitmire and then Scott Davis so I called Barry Jennings to confirm it.

This evening Anthony Burger was playing, 'We Shall Be Hold Him' on The Gaither Cruise, collapsed and died. A couple of people took him backstage and tried to revive him, but couldn't. Anthony, it is believed, had a heart attack.

Please keep all of Anthony's family in your prayers.

Please check my Rambling reMarks (link is to the left of this newsletter) for funeral arrangements and any updates I receive.

Sincerely, Mark Lowry"

Mark once was a member of the Gaither Vocal Band which Anthony Burger accompanied. Mark himself quite touring because of health reasons.

Anthony Burger was on of the best Gospel pianist the world has ever known. He will be greatly missed.

Don

I had the good fotune of recording a project with Anthony at his studio in Asheville NC.

We spent a week and a half in the studio and Anthony played all keyboards on the project.

I am deeply saddened by this news.

While some see Christian artists as money hungry "musical televangelists", Anthony was anything but.

We expected him to meet us in a fancy sports car or SUV and he pulled up in an old beat up pickup truck that barely started.

He was wearing blue jeans with holes in the back pockets and was the most friendly down to earth person you could ever imagine.

He treated myself and my friend like he had known us forever and I cannot believe he is gone.

He was also an outstanding musician (whether you like Christian music or not) and an equally outstanding person.

He will be missed.

For those only vaguely acquainted with Southern Gospel Music Anthony Burger was for many years the pianist with The Kingsmen.

He was a classically trained pianist who played all styles of music incredibly well.

He had the talent to make it in the music bussiness on many differtent levels, however, he chose to follow his heart and convictions instead of a big paycheck.

He was a partner in Hear Here studios in Ashville NC for many years also.

I knew Anthony personally, though briefly, and he was an exceptional person.Not at all the "celebrity" type.

I am so sad at his passing at such a young age and for his family he left behind.

If you pray,please say a prayer for his family as they go through this tough time in their lives.

If you haven't heard him check out any of his works.

Even if you are not a Christian, you will appreciate his incredible talent.

Archived