White after Labor Day ??

I don't think people really 'worry' what other people think, they just get a thrill from wearing certain styles and following guidelines regardless of how dated or trivial they might seem to others.

That said, please send your wife over to the 'cruise fashions' board. Many fun posts over there that just might 'suit' her. (pun intended)

Hi all,

I say go for it. The thinking behind wearing white after Memorial Day and ending on Labor Day is all but over. As I understand it from my grandparents and my step-mother, white wasn't worn after Labor Day because the weather changed (rain, what have you) and the roads would get muddy. Thus, your white shoes would show the mud. I don't know how true it is or accurate, but thought I would share.

I don't personally follow that rule... please, I live in Vegas where anything goes. LOL. But if I ever wanted to turn my grandma or step-mom's head, I would wear white after Labor Day... The sad thing about it is when I do wear white after Labor Day, I hear them in my head gasping... LOL

Night all -

Dona ;)

Well then why ask on a forum for others opinions? If one doesn't 'worry' then why ask at all? She or whoever should just wear what they want.

I guess I should have clarified that I don't think the OP was 'worried.' I most definitely agree that the forum is for asking other opinions, and people should wear whatever they want. The OP wanted to know about white after labor day on other islands, and was curious about what other people wear. I don't know about others, I equate 'worry' with 'anxiety' and I hardly think anyone going on a cruise is going to be filled with anxiety, LOL.

I guess I should have clarified that I don't think the OP was 'worried.' I most definitely agree that the forum is for asking other opinions, and people should wear whatever they want. The OP wanted to know about white after labor day on other islands, and was curious about what other people wear. I don't know about others, I equate 'worry' with 'anxiety' and I hardly think anyone going on a cruise is going to be filled with anxiety, LOL.
I'm not "worried" at all:D . Neither is DW, she just asked me to post the question and I did. I had thought it was a fun and interesting question as well.

oh no - a proper lady should never wear white after Labor Day until the next Memorial Day. It would be absolutely scandalous.

No white underwear either - it must be black or red and lacy boy shorts are REQUIRED wearing now except for the most elderly of guests. They scan everyone's luggage and remove all white women's clothing between Memorial and Labor Day.

Remember -the Titanic did not hit an iceberg, there was this american woman who wore white pants in the 1st class dining room in april, and the collective intake of breath by the women present caused the ship to heel right over on its' side and sink immediately - this is a little know fact.

As I understand it from my grandparents and my step-mother, white wasn't worn after Labor Day because the weather changed (rain, what have you) and the roads would get muddy. Thus, your white shoes would show the mud. I don't know how true it is or accurate, but thought I would share. ;)

Thanks for posting that--being that I am the fashion-challenged person that I am, I've always wondered exactly WHY you're not supposed to wear white after Labor Day. I can see that would have been a reason not to. Nowadays though, with all of the paved roads/sidewalks and people who drive more than walk anywhere, I think it's just one of things where "it was always done that way, so why stop now?"

Intrepid, if Stacey & Clinton say it's okay, then it's okay for me. I wish I could get them to come to my house & re-do my wardrobe!:eek:

I've never heard you can't wear black shoes in the summer ~ is that true?

I have never heard of that either! If I have a formal function during the summer, I usually wear some sort of black dress with black shoes, sandals, or whatever they are called now, those strappy things. Then add some sort of bright color wrap with it, and in the winter usually the same thing but with a dark colored wrap? Personally I can't stand white unless its linen and nice capri pants or a flowing skirt but I also haven't had a pair of white shoes since I was probably 4, but I do go with the seasons, here in Connecticut there are definately seasons!

Results of a google search: ;)

Dear Yahoo!:

Why aren't you supposed to wear white after Labor Day?

Fletch

San Francisco, California

Dear Fletch:

As with many customs and etiquette dictums, it's difficult to pin down the reason behind the prohibition against white after Labor Day. We searched on variations of "wear white after Labor Day" and sifted through the Etiquette and Fashion categories in the Yahoo! Directory. We managed to turn up a bit of information on the fashion dictate.

Originally, the rule was more along the lines of "Only wear white shoes between Memorial Day and Labor Day." Furthermore, it mainly applied to white pumps or dress shoes. White tennis shoes and off-white boots seem exempt, as are any shoes worn by a winter bride. "Winter white" clothing (e.g., cream-colored wool) is acceptable between Labor Day and Memorial Day too.

The only logical reasoning we could find cited temperature. Image consultant Nancy Penn suggests that because white reflects light and heat, wearing white would make you cooler in winter, and thus should be avoided. But others suggest the rule stems from a class issue. Acting Director of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology Valerie Steele notes that in the late 19th century and the 1950s, more people were entering the middle classes. These nouveau-riche folks were often unaware of the standards of high society, so they were given specific codified rules to follow in order to fit in.

Several sites quoted a charming refrain about G.R.I.T.S. -- girls raised in the South. This bit of folklore states, "Southern girls know bad manners when they see them," and a clear sign of bad manners is wearing white shoes before Easter or after Labor Day. Because fashions in the American South can be a little more formal than elsewhere, perhaps the no-white-shoes rule came from south of the Mason-Dixon Line? Even Star Jones (an otherwise fashion-forward Southern lady) admits that white shoes "are for Easter Sunday and not the dead of winter."

We can only surmise that the point of this rule is to ensure that people only wear summer fashions during the actual summer months. The opposite probably applies as well, but people generally don't need to be reminded to avoid wearing a goose-down parka in 100-degree weather. If you live in a locale with summer temperatures year-round, we can't see the harm in wearing white shoes or a head-to-toe white outfit in October. And we promise not to tell Miss Manners.

Happy Cruise!

Wendy

Archived