Carry on luggage

25dbb

Anyone ever have trouble taking on carry-on

luggage on Carnival???? We've never sailed

Carnival before and have read (on another site)

about difficulty taking carry on bags onto the

ship at embarkation. Something about 11 x 15?? I don't think we'll have a problem, except with my BIG purse!!!

dbb25

Explorer 5/01 & 5/02

Grand Princess 3/03 West Carib

Dawn5/03 1nt CTN

Grand Princess 7/03 East Carib

Serenade10/03 2nt cruise

Century 6/04 West Carib

Carnival Pride 7/18/04

For security purposes, Carnival limits the size of hand-carry luggage to 11"X 17" which is the dimension of the opening of the X-ray security machine (similar to those at the airport); there is no measurement for length as the hand-carry luggage will lay flat on the conveyer belt. Luggage larger than 11"X 17" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter. Once on the ship, the luggage will be delivered to the guests' stateroom by 7:00pm that night.

You are certainly free to disembark with all of your luggage. In fact, this choice lets you be with the first group off the ship. Unsure about boarding however.

ECSTASY 1997

PARADISE 2000

PRIDE 2002

PARADISE 2003

TRIUMPH 2004

when boarding, the luggage must fit thru the 11 X 17 opening of the xray machine. When disembarking you may carry off all of your luggage as soon as the first group is called. We did this and it worked very well.

See my past cruise pics here:

mohavemommy's Cruise Pics

__ /7__/7__/7____

\:::::::::::::::::::/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"THE WORLD'S BEST ISLANDS ARE ONES THAT FLOAT AND MOVE. THEY'RE CALLED CRUISE SHIPS."

next cruise ???? hhhmmmmm.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jett456:

I thought Carnival was allowing people to board directly with their luggage and to disembark from their cabin with their luggage.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No to the embarking part. I read an article in a cruise mag that there are different x-ray machines used for the checked-in luggage and the carry-on luggage. Because of added SECURITY, regular luggage pieces must be checked in by the porters and delivered to your cabin. (Which is logical, and I'm glad they do it that way!)

Oh, and about the 11x17 screener for carry-ons, if your bag is soft and "squishable", it will probably fit in there.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

The opening of the X-ray machine is MUCH smaller than the normal 1 at an airport,so beware! icon_smile.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2003;5;24;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Since We Cruised On Triumph.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;10;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until We Cruise On Glory.

Yeah I agree with KTW35 it did seem smaller than the ones used at airports when we were getting on the Conquest last March. But they might have purchased bigger ones by nw..not sure on that. I just remember having to squish mine a bit to get it thru and it was just a regular hand bag that comes with luggage sets the on for make up and shampoos.

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

Caribbean Princess Oct 23 2004

I use a carryon that is the largest allowed by the airline. I've never had any problem getting it through the ports in Miami, Pt. Canaveral and NOLA. This past cruise I took this carryon and expanded it trying to take all my clothes without checking it at the port! In Tampa, the porter said it wasn't going to make it, but I smiled sweetly, confidently said sure it will and promised to bring it back if wouldn't fit. Another Carnival rep at the escalators said it wasn't going to fit. Again, I smiled sweetly and said oh no problem it will fit and again promised to bring it back if it wouldn't. (I was bound and determined to do this. icon_biggrin.gif ). When I got to security, I slapped that carryon (well more liked heaved it on) and it went through...barely. This carryon definitely isn't 11x17.

Atom.gif

NEXT CRUISE - MIRACLE 2/13/05!

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory, Conquest, Sensation

When we cruised out of Miami last May the X-ray machine had a "purpose built" plate that restricted the opening by about 50% compared to EVERY X-Ray machine I have ever seen at any airport up to a year ago.I am not certain about the actual size but it is MUCH smaller of an opening than EVERY other I have seen at any airport.I guess I have stressed it enough so noone can say they were not warned. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2003;5;24;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Since We Cruised On Triumph.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;10;23;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Until We Cruise On Glory.

• 2 weeks later...

About the 11x17 carry-on size. Which is which? Width, depth??? I know that the length doesn't matter, but I need to know the which is which in the 11x17 for carry-ons. This will be our first cruise (6/6/04 Fantasy 4 day to the Bahamas) and I'd hate to not be able to take my carry-on aboard because it's too large to fit through the scanner. Thanks!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;6;6;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500  6/6/04 Fantasy

It really doesn't matter 'which'. It can be turned on its side.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

• 1 month later...

i am 25bdd's kid and they definatley posted that for me considering i am not the traveling light type of person. hopefully my stuffed to the brim backpack will fit through. if not i am going to have a problem! i will olny be taking on my necessities for the afternoon. and dinner clothes JUST incase cuze not having htem one one of our cruises was EMBERRISING!!

You are certainly free to disembark with all of your luggage. In fact, this choice lets you be with the first group off the ship. Unsure about boarding however.

How does this work exactly?? If I don't leave my luggage outside my door the night before and walk off the ship with it, I automatically receive priority disembarkation? I want to make sure I understand this 100%

I don't think you can just decide to DO it that way, but must be given prior authorization to do so. From what I understand from other threads about this is:

If you choose to hand-carry your luggage off at debarkation, for whatever reason (I think mainly because of early flights), you need to check with the purser's desk about "early debarkation". Then, you're given some sort of "priority tag" (?), and when that TAG is called, obviously first, then you're free to go!

If this is incorrect, I'm sure somebody will come along to correct me.;)

We're staying over in San Juan for another day and I'd prefer not to have to go rummaging through all the luggage and lines. I wouldn't mind leisurely keeping my bags, taking in breakfast and rolling myself and my bags off around 11am. That, I'm guessing isn't an option, or is it?

We have disembarked with all our luggage, which I have scaled down over the years.

From what I understand, not all ships allow it, you have to be a US citizen and have nothing to claim for customs.

Regarding carrying your luggage off at the end of the cruise, on Conquest, we were not given that option. Of course, maybe you have to ask about it. Me personally, I wanted to stay onboard as long as possible. I didn't want to go back to the real world! waaaah!

When I sailed on the Glory (Sept. 03), the Sensation (May 04) and the Conquest, (Jan 04) we were given the choice to carry off our bags. I did it on the Glory and the Sensatioin and didn't have to have any special permission from the purser's office. You have to be able to handle all of your luggage without assistance.

Archived