Transport for LeHavre to Juno Beach

Dave Judy

Will be visiting LeHavre Port on the Disney Magic in mid September. Was hoping to rent a car for two people and drive to the Juno Beach monument and museum. Was hoping to DIY and avoid a costly tour.  Don’t even know how to get from ship to car rental.  Ideas ? 

Juno beach is just beyond Courseulles-sur-mer, about 70 miles, there's no public transport that'll do the job for you in a port-of-call vist so its either a tour or rent a car.

Ships' D-Day tours concentrate on US beaches & sights, or for Juno you'd have to book a vehicle with someone like Overlord - if you can't find about 10 sharers (and you'd struggle) it would cost megabucks.

So that leaves you with renting a car - which is a good way to do it, and I get the impression it's what you'd prefer anyway 🙂

Your ship will berth on Quai Roger Meunier, there's an agency on the pier https://www.rentacar.fr/ but their website is down. Apparently they're a bit hit-and-miss and more expensive than others, but very convenient.

Alternatively Enterprise or SixT are a 15 to 20 minute walk, and there are several others including Avis & Europcar.

Do check the agencies' opening hours, and whether you can return the car after-hours (ships don't usually sail until about 8pm).

It's a fairly simple route - though best to have a GPS unit or appropriate tablet - something short of an hour & a half & mostly on the fast A13 divided highway - but there are speed cameras.😧

The route is pretty simple, there are no road tolls but you cross the Seine on the Pont de Normandie which costs €5.50 e/w by cash or card.

The Courseulles road is signed off the Caen ring-road.

In Corseulles-sur-mer, Juno beach is (poorly) signed, you cross the river.

Juno Beach Centre is an imposing modern building, when I was last there parking was easy and free.

Entry was by accompanied by guides, I don't know whether that's changed

English widely spoken there (and geneally throughout Normandy too), and plenty of signage in English. 

When you leave, set the car rental depot address into your GPS, and refer to it from time to time (adding half-hour or an hour to spare) to be sure you don't screw-up. 

But you should have have time in hand to visiit one or two other places ............

Conside following the coast back to Ouistreham (lD-Day museum that I've not visited, lots of bars, cafes & restaurants for a break) then up the Rive Orne to  Pegasus Bridge at Benouville, the first target captured on D-Day (Brit glider-borne troops). Good little museum, mebbe a beer or cup of tea at Cafe Gondree, the first home liberated and a special place for D-Day vets.

If you go here, avoid potential log-jams on the Caen ring-road by putting BRUCOURT into your GPS, cros  the river and follow local roads before reverting to the A13 for your Le Havre destination.

Or visit L'Abbaye d'Ardennes, near Caen

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardenne_Abbey

As you approach the Pont de Normandie on your way back you'll be half-an-hour from Le Havre.

If you still have an hour or more to spare, consider a 5-minute diversion at the roundabout for a swift bevvy in one of the cafes lining the pretty harbour at Honfleur.

If you can find like-mindeds thro your cruise RollCall, of course you'll halve your car & fuel costs.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

Wow !  Thanks for the comprehensive narrative. 

My wife’s father was a teenager in the U.S. Navy. He ended up on a landing craft at Juno that was transporting British soldiers to the beachhead. The craft hit a mine or was struck by artillery and he was ejected.  Later saw that the craft was a total wreck. He only passed away a few years ago. I believe that my wife would appreciate this visit. 

21 minutes ago, Dave Judy said:

Wow !  Thanks for the comprehensive narrative. 

My wife’s father was a teenager in the U.S. Navy. He ended up on a landing craft at Juno that was transporting British soldiers to the beachhead. The craft hit a mine or was struck by artillery and he was ejected.  Later saw that the craft was a total wreck. He only passed away a few years ago. I believe that my wife would appreciate this visit. 

In view of your connections, instead of the other options that I mentioned consider Omaha Beach & the American Cemetery overlooking it at Colleville-sur-mer. It's about 20 miles / 45 minutes further west along the coast road - sights along the way include the overlook at Arromanches (pay parking, see the remains of the Mulberry Harbour) and the guns at Longues sur mer (just half a mile or less off your route & free). Arromanches has a super D-Day museum on its seafront, tho I doubt you'd have time for it.

JB 🙂