Mandatory Covid Insurance

Alex71

Just got an e-mail from Costa informing me that embarkation will be denied without Covid insurance that covers various risks (via Google translate): 

In this case, care should be taken that the following risks
covered are: medical and hospital costs, costs for an extended stay
(meals and accommodation) ashore due to a quarantine, repatriation (also with
protected means of transport for people who have tested positive and their close contacts),
Reimbursement of the pro rata voyage price for the interrupted cruise.
Without Covid insurance, embarkation will be refused

Why is it even their business whether I have insurance that will reimburse me for the pro rate voyage price if we get kicked off the ship early or whether my meals are covered during quarantine? I can see them requiring travel health insurance, but the rest seems to be stuff I could easily cover myself if needed.

Now, this is all included in my credit card, so not really a problem, but still annoyed I now have to go through the effort of getting all this documented.

• Like 1

They do want to sell you their insurance, on which they do know what is covered. I have heard from another Cruiser also living in Europe that the Insurance they do offer is quite reasonable priced in comparison what we will be charged booking from the US-office. Check out their price and then work out what you do have all covered by your credit card and what you might be missing. Then go from there. I assume they want to be on the safe side with all the different countries they are visiting and not being held responsible for whoever they are leaving behind. Their shipping-agents in the different countries will have to take care and assist any passengers left behind and they will want to make sure to not to get stranded with a large bill. Several cruise lines will not let you board without proof of insurance, I know for example MSC and P & O have required it from us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BVILady said:

They do want to sell you their insurance, on which they do know what is covered. I have heard from another Cruiser also living in Europe that the Insurance they do offer is quite reasonable priced in comparison what we will be charged booking from the US-office. Check out their price and then work out what you do have all covered by your credit card and what you might be missing. Then go from there. I assume they want to be on the safe side with all the different countries they are visiting and not being held responsible for whoever they are leaving behind. Their shipping-agents in the different countries will have to take care and assist any passengers left behind and they will want to make sure to not to get stranded with a large bill. Several cruise lines will not let you board without proof of insurance, I know for example MSC and P & O have required it from us.

They charge 119 EUR for the most basic package, which I guess is managable in the large scheme of things, but it's a lot more than the 4.60 EUR per  month I'm paying extra for a more comprehensive insurance package through my Lufthansa M&M credit card.

I sent Costa an e-mail asking for clarification what exact documentation they require from my credit card company and I sent and e-mail to my credit card company asking for proof of the included coverage.

Let's see how it works out, but I still find it strange that Costa sends this now, two weeks before departure and not earlier. 

1 minute ago, Alex71 said:

They charge 119 EUR for the most basic package, which I guess is managable in the large scheme of things, but it's a lot more than the 4.60 EUR per  month I'm paying extra for a more comprehensive insurance package through my Lufthansa M&M credit card.

I sent Costa an e-mail asking for clarification what exact documentation they require from my credit card company and I sent and e-mail to my credit card company asking for proof of the included coverage.

Let's see how it works out, but I still find it strange that Costa sends this now, two weeks before departure and not earlier. 

maybe they are updating their policy. As I mentioned P & O and MSC had required insurance from us, so maybe Costa is now catching up. With Covid no surprise there. Naturally they will want to have it for every passenger, to differentiate by date booked would be a lot of additional headaches. I did receive a new confirmation for my Word Cruise not to long ago, forgot what had been included in the small-print what had not been there before, but somehow it was something I had already assumed to be part of the contract, that why it has slipped me now.

• Thanks 1

I booked recently with Costa and on the insurance page no options came up at all.  I assume that it is no longer required or only required for those who are non EU citizens perhaps?

3 hours ago, jennjess said:

I booked recently with Costa and on the insurance page no options came up at all.  I assume that it is no longer required or only required for those who are non EU citizens perhaps?

At the time of booking, insurance was not nequired for us either and I did not selectany as we have other coverage (our regular health insurance covers treatments in the EU + I have travel insurace through my credit card on top). They just sent this letter which I'm attaching (in German, but feel free to drop into Google Translate) two weeks before departure, which I found odd as well.

It does not sound like this is required for non EU citizens only. My kids and I are German citizens, my wife is American but permanent resident in Germany and fully insured here.

So far, they haven't responded to my e-mail asking them what exact documentation is required.

Mittelmeerkreuzfahrten April bis Juli 2022 DS DACH.pdf

Edited by Alex71

I website won't let me read the letter you posted but I would be interested to hear what Costa have to say when they reply.  Our party are all Dutch citizens and our health insurance is valid across the EU (and we will not be travelling outside the EU on this cruise) so I don't feel I need to add any additional medical insurance. 

12 minutes ago, jennjess said:

I website won't let me read the letter you posted but I would be interested to hear what Costa have to say when they reply.  Our party are all Dutch citizens and our health insurance is valid across the EU (and we will not be travelling outside the EU on this cruise) so I don't feel I need to add any additional medical insurance. 

Same here. 

They also insist that one has insurance covering trip interuption as well as accomodation and meals during quarantine, which is included in my credit card as well but which I also feel is a risk on could easily cover oneself.

Here's what they wrote to me:

Lieber Costa Gast,

wir freuen uns sehr, Sie schon bald an Bord von Costa Kreuzfahrten begrüßen zu dürfen. Unsere Priorität ist es immer, allen unseren Gästen ein sicheres, friedliches und unvergessliches Urlaubserlebnis zu bieten.

Mit Beginn der Pandemie hat Costa Kreuzfahrten die bestehenden Sicherheits- und Hygieneprotokolle weiterentwickelt um Maßnahmen zum Schutz der Gesundheit aller Gäste, Besatzungsmitglieder und lokalen Gemeinschaften der Reiseziele, die wir besuchen, zu ergreifen. Um unseren Gästen weiterhin einen komfortablen Urlaub mit der höchstmöglichen Gesundheitssicherheit zu bieten, wurden die Reiseanforderungen für die bestehenden Kreuzfahrten aktualisiert.

Costa Kreuzfahrten kann die Einschiffung nur denjenigen gestattet und garantieren:

• die den Impfzyklus vollständig abgeschlossen haben und eine Impfbescheinigung vorlegen können
  • als genesen bescheinigt wurden und ein COVID-19-Genesenenzertifikat vorlegen können
  • die eine einmalige Impfung erhalten haben, nachdem sie von COVID als genesen bescheinigt wurden, sofern sie zusätzlich eine Bescheinigung der zuständigen Gesundheitsbehörde vorlegen können
  • Kinder unter 12 Jahren sind davon ausgenommen

Je nach örtlichen Bestimmungen des jeweiligen Einschiffungshafens kann unser Protokoll zusätzliche Maßnahmen beinhalten. Bitte informieren Sie sich rechtzeitig.

Diese Anforderungen sind notwendig, um allen Gästen ein angemessenes Kreuzfahrterlebnis sowohl an Bord als auch während der Ausflüge an Land zu garantieren. Der Einschiffungstestprozess bleibt zusätzlich bestehen.

Wir freuen uns Ihnen mitteilen zu können, dass für unsere Kreuzfahrten ab dem 01. April 2022 auch wieder individuelle Landausflüge möglich sind. Bitte beachten Sie, dass je nach Entwicklung der pandemischen Lage eine Änderung jederzeit vorbehalten ist.

Bei dieser Gelegenheit möchten wir Sie auch darüber informieren, dass der Abschluss einer Corona-Reiseschutz Versicherung für alle Gäste verpflichtend ist. Diese ist zwingend notwendig, um die Kosten im Falle einer vorzeitigen Ausschiffung aufgrund eines positiven Befundes, eines eventuellen Krankenhausaufenthalts und eines Rücktransports zu decken. Der Abschluss einer Corona-Reiseschutz (Covid) Versicherung ist auch nachträglich und bis 1 Tag vor Abreise bei Costa Kreuzfahrten möglich. Bitte wenden Sie sich bei Bedarf telefonisch oder auch per E-Mail an unsere Kreuzfahrtexperten.

Natürlich kann die Coronaversicherung auch separat bei einer anderen Versicherungsgesellschaft abgeschlossen werden. In diesem Fall sollte darauf geachtet werden, dass folgende Risiken abgedeckt sind: Arzt- und Krankenhauskosten, Kosten für einen verlängerten Aufenthalt (Mahlzeiten und Unterkunft) an Land aufgrund einer Quarantäne, Rückführung (auch mit geschützten Transportmitteln für positiv getestete Personen und ihre engen Kontaktpersonen), Erstattung des anteiligen Reisepreises für die unterbrochene Kreuzfahrt. Ohne Covid-Versicherung wird die Einschiffung verweigert.

Unser Gesundheits- und Sicherheitsteam arbeitet zusammen mit einer Gruppe unabhängiger wissenschaftlicher Experten daran, Ihren Urlaub zu einem unvergesslichen Erlebnis zu machen, bei dem Sie sich ganz entspannt zurücklehnen können. Das Costa Sicherheitsprotokoll ist ein Protokoll zum Schutz Ihrer Gesundheit, das neue Betriebsabläufe enthält, die an die Erfordernisse der COVID19-Situation angepasst sind. Alle wichtigen Informationen finden Sie auch immer aktuell auf unserer Homepage unter www.costakreuzfahrten.de/gesundheit und www.costakreuzfahrten.de/boardingregeln www.costakreuzfahrten.at/gesundheit und www.costakreuzfahrten.at/boardingregeln www.costakreuzfahrten.ch/gesundheit und www.costakreuzfahrten.ch/boardingregeln

Für Rückfragen stehen wir Ihnen selbstverständlich gerne zur Verfügung.

Alle unsere Besatzungsmitglieder und Mitarbeiter freuen sich auf schöne Momente mit Ihnen an Bord.

Herzliche Grüße

Ihr Costa Team

11 hours ago, Alex71 said:

Same here. 

They also insist that one has insurance covering trip interuption as well as accomodation and meals during quarantine, which is included in my credit card as well but which I also feel is a risk on could easily cover oneself.

Here's what they wrote to me:

Lieber Costa Gast,

wir freuen uns sehr, Sie schon bald an Bord von Costa Kreuzfahrten begrüßen zu dürfen. Unsere Priorität ist es immer, allen unseren Gästen ein sicheres, friedliches und unvergessliches Urlaubserlebnis zu bieten.

Mit Beginn der Pandemie hat Costa Kreuzfahrten die bestehenden Sicherheits- und Hygieneprotokolle weiterentwickelt um Maßnahmen zum Schutz der Gesundheit aller Gäste, Besatzungsmitglieder und lokalen Gemeinschaften der Reiseziele, die wir besuchen, zu ergreifen. Um unseren Gästen weiterhin einen komfortablen Urlaub mit der höchstmöglichen Gesundheitssicherheit zu bieten, wurden die Reiseanforderungen für die bestehenden Kreuzfahrten aktualisiert.

Costa Kreuzfahrten kann die Einschiffung nur denjenigen gestattet und garantieren:

• die den Impfzyklus vollständig abgeschlossen haben und eine Impfbescheinigung vorlegen können
  • als genesen bescheinigt wurden und ein COVID-19-Genesenenzertifikat vorlegen können
  • die eine einmalige Impfung erhalten haben, nachdem sie von COVID als genesen bescheinigt wurden, sofern sie zusätzlich eine Bescheinigung der zuständigen Gesundheitsbehörde vorlegen können
  • Kinder unter 12 Jahren sind davon ausgenommen

Je nach örtlichen Bestimmungen des jeweiligen Einschiffungshafens kann unser Protokoll zusätzliche Maßnahmen beinhalten. Bitte informieren Sie sich rechtzeitig.

Diese Anforderungen sind notwendig, um allen Gästen ein angemessenes Kreuzfahrterlebnis sowohl an Bord als auch während der Ausflüge an Land zu garantieren. Der Einschiffungstestprozess bleibt zusätzlich bestehen.

Wir freuen uns Ihnen mitteilen zu können, dass für unsere Kreuzfahrten ab dem 01. April 2022 auch wieder individuelle Landausflüge möglich sind. Bitte beachten Sie, dass je nach Entwicklung der pandemischen Lage eine Änderung jederzeit vorbehalten ist.

Bei dieser Gelegenheit möchten wir Sie auch darüber informieren, dass der Abschluss einer Corona-Reiseschutz Versicherung für alle Gäste verpflichtend ist. Diese ist zwingend notwendig, um die Kosten im Falle einer vorzeitigen Ausschiffung aufgrund eines positiven Befundes, eines eventuellen Krankenhausaufenthalts und eines Rücktransports zu decken. Der Abschluss einer Corona-Reiseschutz (Covid) Versicherung ist auch nachträglich und bis 1 Tag vor Abreise bei Costa Kreuzfahrten möglich. Bitte wenden Sie sich bei Bedarf telefonisch oder auch per E-Mail an unsere Kreuzfahrtexperten.

Natürlich kann die Coronaversicherung auch separat bei einer anderen Versicherungsgesellschaft abgeschlossen werden. In diesem Fall sollte darauf geachtet werden, dass folgende Risiken abgedeckt sind: Arzt- und Krankenhauskosten, Kosten für einen verlängerten Aufenthalt (Mahlzeiten und Unterkunft) an Land aufgrund einer Quarantäne, Rückführung (auch mit geschützten Transportmitteln für positiv getestete Personen und ihre engen Kontaktpersonen), Erstattung des anteiligen Reisepreises für die unterbrochene Kreuzfahrt. Ohne Covid-Versicherung wird die Einschiffung verweigert.

Unser Gesundheits- und Sicherheitsteam arbeitet zusammen mit einer Gruppe unabhängiger wissenschaftlicher Experten daran, Ihren Urlaub zu einem unvergesslichen Erlebnis zu machen, bei dem Sie sich ganz entspannt zurücklehnen können. Das Costa Sicherheitsprotokoll ist ein Protokoll zum Schutz Ihrer Gesundheit, das neue Betriebsabläufe enthält, die an die Erfordernisse der COVID19-Situation angepasst sind. Alle wichtigen Informationen finden Sie auch immer aktuell auf unserer Homepage unter www.costakreuzfahrten.de/gesundheit und www.costakreuzfahrten.de/boardingregeln www.costakreuzfahrten.at/gesundheit und www.costakreuzfahrten.at/boardingregeln www.costakreuzfahrten.ch/gesundheit und www.costakreuzfahrten.ch/boardingregeln

Für Rückfragen stehen wir Ihnen selbstverständlich gerne zur Verfügung.

Alle unsere Besatzungsmitglieder und Mitarbeiter freuen sich auf schöne Momente mit Ihnen an Bord.

Herzliche Grüße

Ihr Costa Team

Sounds to me like they are just trying to cover themselves from any extra costs.  If you have health cover and travel expense cover you should be OK. 

1 hour ago, jennjess said:

Sounds to me like they are just trying to cover themselves from any extra costs.  If you have health cover and travel expense cover you should be OK. 

Yep, let's hope. I just don't want any discussions at check-in because I don't have whatever documentation they expect. Let's see how/if they respond to my inquiry.

So, while Costa hasn't replied to my e-mail asking them about the mandatory insurance and the threat to deny boarding without it, I got a different e-mail today telling me that the web check-in would open soon. In this e-mail, they now only strongly recommend to buy Covid insurance as I would have to cover all Covid-related cost myself without it.

This contradicts what they wrote earlier and it does seem that they are backtracking from the mandatory insurance requirement. I'm still hoping they will confirm that to me in a direct response to my question, though,  as I'll otherwise feel a bit uneasy about what to expect on embarkation. 

On 4/3/2022 at 3:35 AM, jennjess said:

I didnt get an option for insurance either - I thought it was because I wasnt an EU "resident".

So, after Costa did not respond to my e-mail regarding the insurance (I would have preferred to have a response in writing), I called and was told I would be denied boarding without all the insurance they require, including travel health insurance, trip interruption insurance and quarantine cost insurance. I had to wait about 30 minutes before someone picked up.

Then spend another 30 minutes on hold with the insurance provider of my credit card company and was finally able to get a written confirmation that everything they require is included.