Remember the Spanish Protocols on Sailing? It's been updated apparently

Megabear2

11 hours ago, Red Ray said:

Are you sure about those numbers ferret? I was told by 1 of the testing guys that there were about 30 pax and 20 crew in isolation. If your figures are correct - and I'm not doubting you, just surprised, I feel DW and myself were somewhat lucky.

The captain constantly understated the numbers…. The other place is full of horror stories ….and more people have tested positive since returning.

every single isolation cabin was full and they had to isolate some people in their own cabins until one came free ( some were “released” after 5 days which freed up space, most came out after 10 days for the last 1-2 days of the cruise, but some caught later had to go to Malta hotels to wait out the infection)

For the third cruise running for us, it turned into something of a “Covid ship” but as before we followed sensible precautions (ffp2 masks, very regular hand sanitising, social distancing etc) and managed to swerve the virus, but I can see how it would have spread easily given the fairly lax protocols on board - e.g. self service buffet, shared tables in MDR and tables for two so close to other tables you might as well have been sharing.

that coupled with a lot of non compliance with regards to the mask wearing, plus the mass mixing of passengers with the first day overlapping with the last day of the previous cruise, meant that the ship was something of a Petri dish

I must admit having heard that I feel lucky we didn't succumb - mind you like yourselves we were very careful with mask wearing and hand sanitising. I thought generally the vast majority of pax complied very well with the mask edict, but as you point out what was particularly surprising was the buffet being self service. That needs rethinking immediately.