Aft Cabins on EOS

sledhead

:confused: Hi there. First time RCCL cruiser here. We are thinking of booking an aft cabin on the Explorer of the Seas. Can anyone tell us what the privacy is like on the balconies ? It may sound stupid but can other people see what you are doing out there ? :eek: I hear that you cant see the water directly under the ship. Is that true ? It will be either deck 6 or 8. Are these good decks and does anyone have any pictures. Are the cabins the same as midship ones ? I believe they are cat. E1 or E2. Thanks for the info.

We have sailed aft balconies twice and absolutely love it. We won't book anything else in the future. While the balconies are very large, the best part is the privacy - nobody running past your cabin at 2 a.m.

The aft balconies on deck 10 are the most private on the Voyager class ships. At best, the folks in the Windjammer above can only see your railing. The "middle" aft balconies on decks 6-9 have limited privacy, as the folks from above typically look right down on to all or part of your balcony.

My recommendation - go for the "corner" aft balconies. We had 8390 on Mariner last month and found it to be large (2 chase lounges, 2 chairs, and a small table) and very private. We had an aft and side view, and could look down directly at the water. The only negative of 8390/8690 is they have a swinging door instead of a sliding glass door - though it didn't bother us at all.

Hope that helps.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, the question I have is, do you get a window with that cabin or is it just a glass door ? It looks kinda cramped in there and without the picture window as well I dont know if we would like it......It looks like I can have 8690 if I want in the EOS.....as well as some other cabins..would that be a wise choice or would u take another one if u could...other than the royal suite of course....LOL

We were on VOS last week which is a sister ship to EOS. We were on deck 8. People cannot look down on you on decks six and seven but deck six has an extended unused area directly in front of it. On decks 8 and 9 people can look down directly on you and if it rains you get wet. By far the best would be deck 10. Sheltered and no one can look down on you, only up.

Have fun

Bill

Hey Sledhead. Voyager class rooms 8690 & 8390 have a door and no additional window, such as the one you would find on the deck 9 corner balconies. From what I understand, VOS/EOS/AOS have full glass in that door, whereas NOS/MOS have glass in the upper half of the door only.

We had been concerned about the limited glass before our Mariner cruise and it turned out to be a non-issue. Bottom line - if we were in our cabin during daylight hours, we were on the balcony (typicaly with the door propped open). We had no desire to be sitting inside and looking out.

For what it's worth, our choice for all future cruises will be rooms 8390 or 8690. The room wasn't as big as our Junior Suite from AOS, but it was just fine, and the balcony was big and quite private. If those rooms are not available, I would look at 1388/1688 at deck 10. We've never stayed in those, but they are corner aft balcony rooms that are the size of a junior suite for the price of a D1 balcony.

Paul.

We were on VOS last week which is a sister ship to EOS. We were on deck 8. People cannot look down on you on decks six and seven but deck six has an extended unused area directly in front of it. On decks 8 and 9 people can look down directly on you and if it rains you get wet. By far the best would be deck 10. Sheltered and no one can look down on you, only up.

Have fun

Bill

Hey Bill, forgive me for being a dumb @#* !! but Im not totally clear on what you are saying...so let me get this straight...are you saying that if I stay on deck 8, people above "will" be able to look down on us ? I have 8690 which is a port side aft cabin in the corner...Thanks for reply

Archived