AOS Cruise - Pre-cruise hotel advise

jspang

We have a cruise booked on the AOS this fall. We booked two nights pre-cruise at the Hotel Dorado. If anyone could offer their opinion or advise it would be appreciated. We stayed at the Caribe Hilton (I think) a few years ago and didn't care for it. Looking for something very nice, great beach and hopefully nothing in need of major repair! I assume we can still change to another hotel, thanks in advance for your opinions!

We too stayed at the Caribe Hilton and I have to say that I agree with you. They probably have the best piece of property with private beach. From the grounds to our room it was disappointing at best.

The only thing about Dorado is the cab fare or if you are renting a car you won't need to worry.

We have stayed at the El San Juan for a week a few years ago - ok but expensive. We are booked for 1 precruise night at the Intercontinental; which is next door to the El San Juan for 3/31/06.

We can let you know when we get back what we thought, if you like.

I just like to stay as close to the port as I can.

Thanks for the reply. I've been reading good things about the Intercontinental so please let me know how it is for you. I'll do more checking but before you had replied that was going to be the next hotel to look at. Can you privately e-mail me later? my e-mail is: spangler@myrtlebeachcondo.com

Have a great time and Thanks again.

We loved the Intercontinental and plan on staying there again this fall. The beach was nice, but not great (lots of seaweed when we were there). The pool area was gorgeous, though. Rooms were clean and well-cared for, service was awesome.

I suggest going to tripadvisor.com and reading the reviews other people have posted to help you out.

The Intercontinental is on Isla Verde closer to the airport. I took the city bus for about 50 cents down to Old Town.

If you like a boutique sized hotel near or on the beach - try At Windchimes or Numero Uno. I prefer them to the large hotel property when sailing on a huge ship like the AOS. Have fun!

We have a cruise booked on the AOS this fall. We booked two nights pre-cruise at the Hotel Dorado. If anyone could offer their opinion or advise it would be appreciated. We stayed at the Caribe Hilton (I think) a few years ago and didn't care for it. Looking for something very nice, great beach and hopefully nothing in need of major repair! I assume we can still change to another hotel, thanks in advance for your opinions!

Are you speaking of the Hyatt Dorado Beach?

We stayed there in January before our Serenade cruise. It was gorgeous. Our room opened to the beach. It was a stunning property. The hotel is about an hour from the pier. Since we had arranged the pre-cruise with Royal Caribbean, our transfers were easy. They met us at the airport, put us in a van and took us directly to the hotel. The next day, we, along with two busloads of cruisers, were picked up and taken to the ship. It was very efficient and painless.

It is an excellent place to golf, relax by the pool or beach, or just chill out. They have transportation to other properties owned by the Hyatt, including some other restaurants.

It was not inexpensive.

--Judy

Judy, yes, I meant the Hyatt Dorado. Thanks for the info. We just want something very nice and relaxing and that sound like what we want. We also have all of the transportation pre-booked. Any other info will be appreciated.

Here is a little more information about the Hyatt.

The rooms are all in two-story units. We were on the ground level. The room was like somthing out of a movie! The beds were so high off the floor, that we could have used a little stool to get on! We found out later, that they did provide them. The floor is tile. The doors open up to a patio on the beach. They have hammocks all around and it was gorgeous. The property is so big, that you have to get around by golf carts. It was fun. The weather was horrible when we were there, so no beach or pool for us, but it didn't matter.

One thing we would do next time -- bring some kind of mosquito repellant. There were a lot of bugs around. Also, little lizards.

If you golf, this place looks amazing.

Any other questions, please just ask!

Judy

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Isle Verde and really liked it. We also spent one night at the Intercontinental. Both properties are great. The Intercon is a little more "upscale" than the Courtyard - that being said, the cleanliness and amenities were on par with eachother.

I would definitely (and will) book the Courtyard again for our AOS cruise next March. The location was good - yes, near the airport but the noise was a non-issue for us. You hear planes take off during the day but not at night.....

It's about a 15 minute cab ride from Isle Verde to Old San Juan as well as the Pan Am Pier.

Have fun :)

jspang --

We did not request the ground floor. We really lucked out. We wanted a non-smoking room, and I guess the only available were two double beds. We said okay, so we got a gorgeous room.

Here are a couple of photos -- one is the room and the other is a view from outside our room. I should get them onto webshots soon. We have a lot of photos from the hotel and the Serenade.

--Judy

lowres1.jpg.11e838e37da41062ad447aa85d3e83d7.jpg

lowres2.jpg.e572d8e87849683d886e56c13a27db64.jpg

Archived