Fort Lauderdale water taxi

rainbird

We have booked a room at the Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel for next January (formerly marina marriot). How far is the water taxi stop from here? Where would be a good place to get off the water taxi to get a good burger and a beer? Any other good stops?

Thanks

It's about the equivalent of walking 1/2 block from the front desk to the water taxi stop. It's pretty much on the property.

Both of the Las Olas stops are fun in the late afternoon and evening.

Coming back to the hotel, be sure you are getting on the right taxi, because there are a couple of routes. If you get on the wrong one, you will eventually get to where you're going, but it could take hours. Just ask the boat captain.

WOW, this is the first post where I have seen the "identity" of the former Marriott Marina where we have stayed for many years. So it is the "Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel?" How did you find that out? How was the booking and how was the price? (I know, my Mother taught me years ago not to ask about $$$ of any sort, but I just have to ask--not the amount but was it a reasonable rate?) I was worried that it would become a "condo" and not a hotel since it is in such a prime location.

We got the room at the fort lauderdale grande for $229.00 per night. We where hoping to get something for about $100.00, but things have really gone up since we were there in 2002. For what we would pay for a budget hotel, it was't that much more to get this. We can still cancell if priceline hits for us later. We like to know that we have a good place to stay now, no last miniute problems.

We just rode the water-taxi on the 11th and the 23rd of February. The company that operates it is in a dispute with Broward County and has cut back to only 6 taxis from a fleet of 10. They are all running the same route now - which is a round trip of 11 stops - instead of a Northbound and a Southbound route. It takes about 3 hours to make the full loop. They also raised their rates to $10 all day and it is the only kind of pass you can buy now. There were several times when our taxi was completely full when it reached a stop where people were waiting to board and nobody was getting off so the waiting riders had to wait for the next taxi. There was a bit of loud grumbling going on from some of those who were waiting. The taxis were generally passing each stop at about 45 minute intervals but that is a bit of time to wait if you have already been waiting a half hour and the taxi arrvies full! We had a great time and rode it to get around the city both before our cruise and then again afterwards, but you should bring your "flexible attitude" with you and be realistic about schedules etc. until they get this dispute with the county resolved. We had 4 different drivers in the 2 days we rode it and got information on the homes from 2 of them and the other 2 told riders requesting more of a "tour atmosphere" that they were paid to drive the boat - not provide entertainment. Just set your expectations appropriately and have fun either way!;)

Joni

We just rode the water-taxi on the 11th and the 23rd of February. The company that operates it is in a dispute with Broward County and has cut back to only 6 taxis from a fleet of 10. They are all running the same route now - which is a round trip of 11 stops - instead of a Northbound and a Southbound route. It takes about 3 hours to make the full loop. They also raised their rates to $10 all day and it is the only kind of pass you can buy now. There were several times when our taxi was completely full when it reached a stop where people were waiting to board and nobody was getting off so the waiting riders had to wait for the next taxi. There was a bit of loud grumbling going on from some of those who were waiting. The taxis were generally passing each stop at about 45 minute intervals but that is a bit of time to wait if you have already been waiting a half hour and the taxi arrvies full! We had a great time and rode it to get around the city both before our cruise and then again afterwards, but you should bring your "flexible attitude" with you and be realistic about schedules etc. until they get this dispute with the county resolved. We had 4 different drivers in the 2 days we rode it and got information on the homes from 2 of them and the other 2 told riders requesting more of a "tour atmosphere" that they were paid to drive the boat - not provide entertainment. Just set your expectations appropriately and have fun either way!;)

Joni

Thanks for all the information, we will be there in two weeks and planned to ride the waterway, so we will be prepared and know what to expect. Thanks

Cori

Spindrift, you have stayed at the grande, what room should we be booking if we want to see the cruise ships? We are getting different responses from the hotel. We would like to see the cruise ships from our room.

Thanks, rainbird

We have done several cruises from FLL and each time have used the water taxi. We enjoyed it, that is until this trip. We used it on the 15th of Feb and we were very disapointed. The crew was rude and sarcastic, and spent much of their time venting about the fact that they may be out of jobs. They also told everyone that we should call Broward County to support them. Also, they became angry when people could not undertand the change in the system, ie; A/B routes to just one route that took forever if you got on at the wrong time. (Those of you that have ridden the Water Taxi will know what I am talking about) All of the boats were crowded, and would drive right by stops leaving people standing there. On one stop the driver of the boat asked if anyone was getting off. A lady with a small child said that they wanted off. As he was pulling in she asked if this was the beach stop? He sternly replied NO it is 2 stops away. She said that she wanted to get off there. He became angry and announced that people should know where they are going because he would have never stopped if she hadn't said she was getting off. ?? Why not stop there were people waiting. In my opinion they couldn't get much worse, I don't mind so much the 10$ fee, but I don't need to listen to that crap while on vacation, or any other time. I Won't ride again.:mad:

Wonderful... We are planning on riding the water taxi when we ariive on Friday... If it's too bad we may just take a taxi to where we want to go... I guess there is hope the problem could be solved by Friday. HA HA HA

We also had issues with the water taxi in February of last year...please make sure that if you have a certain set schedule with places to be at a certain hour that you do NOT depend on the water taxi. Allow much extra time to get back to your original destination. There were a couple of taxis not working, too many people not getting off, blah blah blah or yada yada yada.

Just be aware that the schedule is very loose.

We also had a great time just walking down to ( I think it was the Marriott), just under the big drawbridge - it was very cool to watch it from underneath when a tall boat would come by. We could have sat there all day. Ahhhh the memories.

Archived