which itinerary would you suggest?

maryhou

I am normally a beach lover but my hubby has always wanted to do an Alaska tour. This week works best for our schedule and has ports at Tracy Arm Fjord, Sitka, Juneau, Ketchican, and Victoria.  I don't really know where to start but look for info here at CC.  Any suggestions you might throw my way?  The week before cruise goes to Icy Straight Point instead of Sitka, is that something better?  I normally am booked a year ahead on most of our cruises so have plenty time to plan.  July 5th, 2022 will be here before we know it so I better get busy.

Thanks in advance for your help !!

If those are your only 2 options, either will be fine. Many will recommend an itinerary with Glacier Bay, but sometimes you have to go when the time works best for you. With either choice, I recommend booking the small boat excursion in Tracy Arm Fjord, if offered by your cruise line.

If you are interested in the best chance at seeing whales, I would recommend the itinerary with Icy Strait Point. You can also see whales in Juneau, but there are other good options there you may prefer as well.

Sitka is not often included on itineraries and has some good options as well, so you may choose that if you think you may  return to Alaska at some point since Icy Strait Point is an option in many itineraries.

Either itinerary will provide a nice overview of Alaska and there are positives about both Icy Strait Point and Sitka. But if I had the chance to choose one over the other I would opt for Sitka. It is a stunningly beautiful place, lots of different tour options and things to see, great history and not as heavily visited so you will likely be the only ship in town that day. Icy Strait Point is very rural and provides a taste of the real outback Alaska and native culture. But there isn't as much variety in your choices of excursions, especially outside of the very pricey options offered by the cruise line. 

I've been to both Icy Strait and Sitka, they are both wonderful, however, Sitka is my absolute favorite place in Alaska to stop. I just love it there. We've done tours with Paul from Gallant Adventures and it is by far the best tour guy out there at crazy reasonable prices! You will see whales, seals, otters, sea caves, all kinds of birds and he is remarkably knowledgeable about the area (and lots of other things). he's an absolute delight! I also like to walk through the Totem Park in Sitka. it's right there at the bay within walking distance from the visitor center and is free. It's really a neat little forest to walk through.

THANKS for all the advice 🙂. We ended up booking the Carnival Splendor 7/5/22 with these Tracy Arm Fjord, Sitka, Juneau, Ketchican, and Victoria.  I am sure we will have a fun time.  Thanks for excursion tips in Sitka, I will add them to my research list for the weekend.  If you have any other tips let me know !!