Art Mel's Spicy Dicy

zestyzorra

Has anyone been to Art Mel's Spicy Dicy? It appears to be near Hamilton but up hill and 30 minutes by foot. 

I am curious if there are any bus stops that get you reasonably close? Are there sidewalks and is it safe for pedestrians, despite the up hill trek? Or is a cab the way to go?  (Some people report taking a cab and asking the driver to wait. Seems expensive?)

Also, it is take out only. I've read that people go to Admiral park and picnic on the beach. Is it easy to get back to Hamilton from there? 

I have read that the fish sandwich is amazing but I am trying to determine if it is worth the trouble to get there. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, zestyzorra said:

I am curious if there are any bus stops that get you reasonably close? Are there sidewalks and is it safe for pedestrians, despite the up hill trek? Or is a cab the way to go?  (Some people report taking a cab and asking the driver to wait. Seems expensive?)

It is not walkable. You need to take a taxi have them wait and then have them take you somewhere to eat the sandwich because there is no place there to eat it. I would have them drop you off at a waterfront park in Hamilton but Admiral park would work.

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is not walkable. You need to take a taxi have them wait and then have them take you somewhere to eat the sandwich because there is no place there to eat it. I would have them drop you off at a waterfront park in Hamilton but Admiral park would work.

The drivers don't mind waiting? Do they typically run the meter? 

Great idea about a waterfront park in Hamilton, as that will be easier to return to the ferry.  Thank you!

17 minutes ago, zestyzorra said:

The drivers don't mind waiting? Do they typically run the meter? 

Great idea about a waterfront park in Hamilton, as that will be easier to return to the ferry.  Thank you!

They charge by mileage on a meter, wait time is I believe .60 or..70  per minute. They will wait because you are a sure fare. I think the most efficient  way to do Art Mels is if you are doing an island taxi tour or other island tour but if you are really into the idea then by all means have a taxi take you and wait. Many have done so. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to report back that we did end up visiting Art Mel's. We took a cab from Front Street. The driver was skeptical that Art Mel's would be open, but I asked to try (having seen people review it recently on trip advisor). It was definitely open. The driver agreed to wait for us. It took about 10 minutes for the food, and less than 5 each way to Front Street.  The fare was nearly $30. The sandwich over $15. Ultimately, it was not worth it. I am willing to pay for good food and deal with hassles to get it, but in the end, the wahoo fish and rasin bread were dry and the tartar sauce tasted like plain mayo. The ginger beer was warm and not my favorite. The sandwich was pretty large as advertised, but the taste was fine but nothing special.  YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zestyzorra said:

Just wanted to report back that we did end up visiting Art Mel's. We took a cab from Front Street. The driver was skeptical that Art Mel's would be open, but I asked to try (having seen people review it recently on trip advisor). It was definitely open. The driver agreed to wait for us. It took about 10 minutes for the food, and less than 5 each way to Front Street.  The fare was nearly $30. The sandwich over $15. Ultimately, it was not worth it. I am willing to pay for good food and deal with hassles to get it, but in the end, the wahoo fish and rasin bread were dry and the tartar sauce tasted like plain mayo. The ginger beer was warm and not my favorite. The sandwich was pretty large as advertised, but the taste was fine but nothing special.  YMMV.

Thank you for coming back here and reporting your experience. 

• 4 weeks later...

My husband & I finally got to go there the year we rented a Twizzy. I do not eat seafood. My husband did a review on trip advisor and stated if we didn't have our own transport- it was not worthwhile- but he definitely enjoyed his sandwich...

Bernadette