Timing for Y4C (or any similar AK cruisetour)?

kickboxrca

Hello fellow cruisers,

I have searched this forum for more details around the timing of the land portion of our upcoming 10 day Yukon Double-Denali tour ... with no success.  I have found some great tips (like make sure to eat the lunch on the McKinley explorer) and to pack lots of granola bars for the bus trips that begin early morning .. (and that maybe I should be worried about how we are getting from Skagway to Fraser before boarding the bus to Whitehorse - I'm hoping they will let us ride the YPVR railroad to the summit and bus us from there over the border) ... but I would love to have more details before we get on the ship about when we will be doing what ... I know we have some free time in most of our stops, but I have no idea when so I don't think I'll be able to book any tours.

We have the three days on the ship, overnight in Skagway, then YPVR to Fraser, bus to Whitehorse (overnight), then to Dawson - we have a day in Dawson, but included is the Klondike Spirit (no time given), next day air to Fairbanks (no time given), overnight, then next day Gold Dredge (am), then off to Denali - due to arrive at 6:30.  According to HAL's shore excursions, we can book things that evening, and again after our morning wilderness tour.  It appears we leave early the next day to Anchorage - and that takes most of the day - flying home the following day from Anchorage.

If anyone can help with the timing, we would greatly appreciate it!!! Also, our flights keep being changed later and later in the day from Anchorage - is it reasonable to plan something for the day and leave our luggage at the airport?

Thanks so much!

So I did a similar cruisetour, no overnight Skagway and 2 Dawson City, 2 Denali.

Whitehorse we had a hotel mixup, double assignment of rooms, TWICE, we booked the show that was in the hotel, had a quick dinner in their dining room, watched show went to bed had an early morning

Drive to Dawson City is fairly long,  don’t remember lunch or dinner!! that night we went to Diamond Gertie’s for a show and drinks.  Husband also had Sourtoe cocktail in another bar.  The Klondike spirit was in the afternoon.  We had 2 nights here.

The air to Fairbanks from Dawson City was a very early morning  and we were 40 people with a whole 737 to ourselves.   Fairbanks hotel checkin took a while, we had an afternoon to walk around, there is a very good museum within walking distance.

Gold dredge was fun, a little train ride then some gold panning and lots of opportunities to spend $$

Denali we had dinner, book as soon as you get there because lots of people will be looking for places to eat.  We ordered a box lunch for the wilderness tour the next day, it was called a snack but there were quite A few items, granola bar etc.   Another dinner after wilderness that you could book ahead.  This whole resort is really lovely.

Breakfast next morning then train to Anchorage.  There was a dining car downstairs on the train and we had a very nice lunch.  Anchorage we had time to walk a bit, shop a bit, have a niece dinner.  Hotel gave transfer to airport, our driver gave us a little tour of Anchorage but there were only 6 of us needing transfer.  I’m not sure the hotel is the same as the one we stayed in was heavily damaged by an earthquake some time after we were there.  Suggest you phone the hotel and see if they still have a transfer included.  Anchorage airport is very beautiful, tons of taxidermy of  Alaska creatures.  

Don’t know if I have helped at all, I want to go again after dredging my memories

• Like 1

You will have a journey host to assist you with any activities you want to add.  If the excursion is offered on the HAL website you will be available to take the excursion at the times listed, like in Denali.  Dawson City is such an interesting town that I recommend you head to the visitor’s center as soon as you get checked into your hotel to see what “Parks Canada” has to offer.  Jack London and Robert Service Cabins are interesting.  You may be able to join a tour of town which will get you into the post office and a bar, etc.  Tour leaders are in costume.  Our tour leader was performing as “Belinda Mulrooney”. as I recall.  Midnight Dome is something you can plan ahead for either with HAL or a private tour.

Start doing some reading about Dawson City, and the Gold Rush in general from Skagway to Dawson.  You will enjoy the trip more if you start with some basic understandings.  

More information about the timing will be available when you meet your journey host who will travel with you.  The only time you may see your journey host in Denali, however,  is when you meet at the Chalets to board the bus for the TWT.  The tour will probably be somewhat shorter this year due to the road closure.  There will be a shuttle bus running on a regular schedule from the Chalets to the visitor center at Denali where there are hikes to take, a sled dog show (get in line early for the bus at the park or walk to the kennels). a great bookstore, a park exhibit and movie.  Previously there was an option to meet the train at the park on the last day so we “checked” our small hand luggage at a kiosk at the park and enjoyed some final hours at the visitor’s center.  

The daylight hours will be long so you’ll have plenty of free time during the daylight hours.  Breakfast Buffets  are your friend in the morning.  You can get in and out and be ready for the day.

You’ll have a great time.  If you preplan too much you might miss something else.  It’s amazing that the unexpected things that happen will be your longest lasting memories!

Due to security restrictions you may not be able to leave your baggage at the Anchorage airport if you have a late flight but the HAL folks at your hotel will probably let you store your luggage at the hotel for a few hours.  Your journey host may be able to arrange it or you can ask the staff at the hotel.

• Like 1

P.S.  I loved having an overnight in Skagway.  The ships pull out and the locals enjoy the evening hours with their children and their dogs.  Be sure to pick up at the visitor center a list of hikes available in Skagway rated from easy to,??   When you wake up in the morning the ships are in.  Find a local place for breakfast.  Check out places to eat in Skagway on Trip Advisor.

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 2

On 4/15/2022 at 4:37 PM, kickboxrca said:

Hello fellow cruisers,

I have searched this forum for more details around the timing of the land portion of our upcoming 10 day Yukon Double-Denali tour ... with no success.  I have found some great tips (like make sure to eat the lunch on the McKinley explorer) and to pack lots of granola bars for the bus trips that begin early morning .. (and that maybe I should be worried about how we are getting from Skagway to Fraser before boarding the bus to Whitehorse - I'm hoping they will let us ride the YPVR railroad to the summit and bus us from there over the border) ... but I would love to have more details before we get on the ship about when we will be doing what ... I know we have some free time in most of our stops, but I have no idea when so I don't think I'll be able to book any tours.

We have the three days on the ship, overnight in Skagway, then YPVR to Fraser, bus to Whitehorse (overnight), then to Dawson - we have a day in Dawson, but included is the Klondike Spirit (no time given), next day air to Fairbanks (no time given), overnight, then next day Gold Dredge (am), then off to Denali - due to arrive at 6:30.  According to HAL's shore excursions, we can book things that evening, and again after our morning wilderness tour.  It appears we leave early the next day to Anchorage - and that takes most of the day - flying home the following day from Anchorage.

If anyone can help with the timing, we would greatly appreciate it!!! Also, our flights keep being changed later and later in the day from Anchorage - is it reasonable to plan something for the day and leave our luggage at the airport?

Thanks so much!

Just to complete the above……I left out Whitehorse.  You will arrive later in the day and if your hotel is the Westmark Convention Center (which HAL no longer owns) Klondike Rib and Salmon is right across the street.  They will be very busy but it’s worth the wait for dinner.  With one night you will not have time to see much in Whitehorse but there is a nice walkway along the Yukon river near the hotel.  

I hope you have good weather but be prepared for rain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your helpful hints 🙂  We are so excited for the trip - especially after two years of staying at home ....

I am writing down all of the spots you have mentioned - and yes, we like to plan, but also have some free time - good to hear about the hikes in Skagway, and yes, will be cool to see the ships coming and going (with us not being on one!).