Help!! $1722.50 Internet Charge..........

Sorry but I am not going to automatically assume that the teens are responsible here and the OP should just thank them all to bits that RCI helped. RCI admitted it was in error. The initial bill did not show these charges. I do not think it is the big guy out to bilk the little guy but there was an error, it was obvious and RCI was not helpful until the OP followed our excellent (back pats all around) advice.

Of course RCI is going to take the high road and do the right thing here - they have a C&A client who they are not willing to lose over an internet dispute, especially when the client does everything right by contacting them in writing and working through their credit card company. Internet revenue to them is pure "extra" revenue, and when there is a minor involved and the company cannot substantiate the charges, 9 out of 10 times they are going to back down when someone pushes it.

I know the OP said there was a "glitch" when one of the teens logged off. Sure it was an honest error and no one meant to leave the computer logged in (no one said that), but logging off while on someone else's network is not as simple as just turning off your PC like it is at home and many kids don't realize that.

I still think that there is a lesson for parents of teens here....

I am certainly glad the internet was not easily accessible when my kids were teens. Many only businesses and a few families. for the record, this is the second time I have been charged for a hotel room that was canceled. First time I handled it completely by phone and was never charged or heard another thing about the room charge. I offerd to write a letter about this last charge for a canceled room and was told it was not necessary at this time. Being skeptical, I even calle dto check my automated balance and it was eliminated immediately.I feel OP is doing everything but she/he should be given a credit until this is resolved and should push for the credit.

A few years ago, we took a cruise out of Barcelona. We went 3 days early to enjoy the city first. When our TA booked our hotel, I gave her my credit card number to hold the room. But when we checked in at the hotel, my husband gave the clerk his credit card, which is a different number. I specifically told the clerk that the reservation had been made with my credit card and to please make note that we were actually there. But wouldn't you know, when my credit card bill came, it showed 1 night room charge for not cancelling. I called both my TA and credit card company, and it still took several months to get it resolved. But fortunately, it finally was handled satisfactorily.

On the other topic, we just got back from Splendour. I had a coupon for $7.50 of internet credit. I had already used a few minutes, but had planned on using more when I turned in my coupon. They told me it would show up when I signed on next time. And it did. No problems with turning it in before or after usage. It doesn't seem like RCCL has a uniform policy on this, but they need to do so and they need to inform all the pursers' staff.

I am not sure how RCCl does it, but on Carnival when you use the internet you get a reciept printed out right away with your time used. Also I was told by the Carnival guy that they check the computers once someone leaves to make sure they logged out correctly.

Just back from the Splendour and there were no printouts of time used. I believe on Carnival you have the option of printing out a receipt, and I tried to do this on RCCL, but didn't see where it could be done. As far as someone being there to be sure you are logged off, never once in my 5 day cruise did I see a RCCL person in the internet cafe. But I do know that while I was online, I got a pop-up message telling me I would be logged off in 5 minutes if no activity occurred during that time. And besides, as soon as someone else logged on, it would automatically log the previous user off.

I'm a little confused on this --

On all of my cruises, since the Internet was introduced on board Cruise Ships, the Internet Area was closed down about 9:00 PM/10:pm. This is before the final Passenger Folio was tabulated. Thus, Internet Charges should not be added after Folio closing.

I have ,on several occaisions, found that the previous user forgot to "Log Off" and the Computer time was accumulating. But, even if this occured, the Computer time would appear on the Final Folio.

Keep after RCCL on this -

Why weren' the charges picked up before final Folio closing?

Good Luck !!!

CuisenOne,

OP has stated that his family used PCs located in the library to access the internet - I believe the library is open 24 hours a day (it was when we were on Mariner last year). Also, access in now available in-room, in the teen areas, and by wi-fi (sometimes) in addition to the internet cafe.

Now that access is readily available, it is even more important to watch your account and make sure that you log off - not only from you internet provider, but also from the ship's network.

Hello fellow cruisers,

I want to share my thoughts on what has transpired since I first posted this thread.

The charges posted after we left the ship had caused me quite a concern at the time.

However, the service that I received from Royal Caribbean's customer service was always friendly and helpful. Thanks to the feedback that I had on this board, I decided to formalize my response and handled the correspondence in writing. This consisted of a cover letter, a detailed description of events and my thoughts, as well as supporting documentation. This was faxed in to RCCL's CEO as well as sent via certified mail. Their response was timely and satisfactory. The charges were taken off and followed up with phone calls from the Corporate Guest Relations.

I have always found Royal Caribbean to be a first class cruise line. This experience only reaffirms my impression. Any business will have the occasional problem, but few will handle disputes so well.

The other positive experience are the members of this board. Your questions and suggestions were great, and I look forward to contribute in the future.

Tailwinds always,

Globetrotter11

Archived