Tested positive for Covid

nzstuart51

We are due to board Odyssey in just over 5 weeks and in the past week I have been diagnosed as positive for Covid. Already my symptoms are fading and in a few days I expect to be asymptomatic but all my reading suggests that I could still test positive for a number of weeks, and maybe even longer. The Seabourn website states that in such circumstances "exceptions may apply."

Has any reader experienced this situation themselves, or are aware of a Seabourn passenger in a similar situation, and are able to share with us Seabourn's actual willingness to apply an exception.

I should add that I am fully vacinated.

I'm no expert on this, but two thoughts:

1)  My understanding is that PCR tests can indeed indicate positive for a long period after recovery.  Antigen tests seem to much more mirror the time you are contagious, and should clear much sooner.  But if you get onboard with a clear antigen test, it won't help if a PCR test is done later for some reason.  Which brings up point two...

2)  Medical documentation of your positive result, and a doctor's statement of your recovery, is important documentation to carry.  Here in the US, it's common for someone to test positive on a home antigen test and not bother contacting their doctor if their symptoms were mild.  This is fine in general, but puts them at risk for testing positive in a PCR test for travel.  That's where the documentation of previous test results and recovery comes in.  Usually travel restrictions have an exception for this case in the fine print at the bottom of the policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello 

I found this on the CDC  cruise ship web hope it helps you.

• If you tested positive for COVID-19 infection no less than 10 days and no more than 90 days before the date of embarkation and recovered (regardless of your vaccination status), you do NOT need to get tested before or after cruise travel unless you have symptoms. People can continue to test positive for up to 90 days after diagnosis and not be infectious to others.
    • Travel with a copy of your positive test result and a letter from your healthcare or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.” If you are asked by officials in a foreign country, you may be required to show this documentation.
    • You also do NOT need to self-quarantine after cruise travel if you have recently (within the past 90 days) recovered from COVID-19.
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone aware of any Covid testing changes for Seabourn May 1st at embarkation?

We are scheduled to depart on Ovation in late May and somewhat concerned about same day testing given all the Covid cases emerging in europe and The US. Always a risk when the weeks leading up to departure day, and the air travel prior to getting on the ship. 

Assuming Seabourn does keep their same day rapid testing at the port- is it a self administered test? Anyone know how it works? Thanks.