Almost afraid to ask...Sunshine/Elation

drpclarke

Although Sunshine and Sunrise might have been sister ships at one time, there are not now. You can compare them on Carnival’s site side by side.  

One comment on the Elation cruise we took after Christmas 2021 was the bathroom doors in public areas. They had “auto” doors that you open or close with a push button.  They did not work.  So people were forever going in them and then the ship would rock a tiny bit and the door would swing open, leaving women especially sitting on the toilet staring at the other passengers.  Door lights that were to say occupied or vacant seldom worked right so when someone used the manual method to open the door, it was hit or miss if it was empty.  Funny to watch but not so funny for those involved.  

• Haha 1

We have been on both.  We did the sunshine in 2016 and the elation thus past March.  We loved both cruises!  The Elation is a little smaller and has less food options, and the serenity deck is small but is very beautiful.  The Sunshine has an awesome serenity area.  Think you would be fine with either ship though!

On 4/21/2022 at 5:50 PM, drpclarke said:

(ooo, I know I will get some haters...I am sorry..)

I went on Sunshine in February 2020. I've gone on mostly Carnival and Royal Caribbean cruises, and this one was the worst, hands down. I love being on a cruise, but man, the bad smells and the gawdawful food did me in.

Now my son is wanting to book the Sunshine or the Elation for a trip for himself and his grandma. Looking at the reviews for Sunshine, it looks like it hasn't improved at all, so I told him to look at Elation. Now that I am looking at the reviews for Elation, it looks to be as awful as Sunshine.

Anyone out there been on both and can provide a comparison??

Thanks!

Rachel

I think a lot of what you need to do is set expectations for this cruise.  It sounds like your son is engaging in a beautiful gesture, but it may be aboard ships that you and your family are not accustomed to sailing.

My vote, personally would be Elation.  And here's why:

- Both ships will have similar age based problems.  You will see some areas that look great, and others that are very worn down.  Some parts will be rusty, and the staterooms will be worn.   Either way you are getting one of the oldest ships in the fleet.

-Elation though is a smaller ship.  Yes she has less amenities, but she's also less crowded.  The Sunshine is a modified ship that had a lot of staterooms added to it.  You've got a much better chance of experiencing very good service on the Elation.

A few hints to help the experience:

1) Know going in that the ships are aging.  Especially if you chose Elation, you can frame it as an era of cruising that's almost gone, giving them the opportunity to sail on a ship they likely won't have in the future.  See the age as "retro" or "classic" in a way. Not many people get to cruise small ships these days!

2) Eat in the MDR, and don't be afraid to reject food you don't like.  Far too many people are too polite in the moment to say they don't like something, then regret eating it.  No matter what, it's totally ok to reject food you don't like and try again.  If you find yourself struggling with Carnival's food, you'll struggle the most at the buffet.

If I dislike something, I politely tell the server "I'm sorry, the ***** isn't for me.  May I try **** instead?". They will happily substitute the dish and make sure you like the new item.  

3) Use cheap/easy solutions to common problems.  Those cone air fresheners at the dollar store last an entire cruise opened all the way up.  We put one in the bathroom and one in the room, then never smell anything else.  Earplugs help muffle noises at night, especially if you find yourself in a room with lots of creaks (or next to loud neighbors).  

Either way, if everyone goes into the cruise thinking "I hope this isn't as bad as it seems" you'll hate it.  But if you go in thinking "Let's try something different, and really appreciate the gesture" you might find a lot of joy in one of these older ships that isn't quite done yet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We just got off of the Sunshine last Saturday, great cruise and no smells the entire week (as some has prev posted).  Although not our favorite ship size we like the the Sunshine and definitely would choose over the Elation in a heart beat.  

• Like 1

I've been on Elation twice and just got off of the Sunshine 3 weeks ago. I loved the Sunshine and would cruise on her over and over. Probably one of my favorites actually. As far as the food, while it wasn't as good as it's been in the past, we could ALWAYS find something we liked. My 2 cents.   🙂

we have cruised 6 times on the Sunshine and have it booked for 2 more. it has always been one of our favorites. right now i imagines all ships are understaffed and probably have issues on getting the food and supplies they were getting years ago. i imagine all are having some of the same issues so it ends up that you have to go in with knowing this and enjoy them the way they are for now, i would think in time it will revert back to better service and food.