Celebrity and kids

itsanita

We are looking to take our 3 grandkids...13, 11, 8 on an Alaska cruise this summer.  The only ship I can find that meet our dates and has the itinerary we are looking for is the Celebrity Eclipse.   Has anyone taken kids on a Celebrity cruise?   We have cruised that line many times, but have never paid much attention to the kids, which were relatively few as we usually cruise during the school year.  Will their kids program keep them interested?   I don't want them on their electronics the whole time we are on the ship.   

Both my boys have cruised numerous times with Celebrity and they have a great kids program.  Our next cruise in a few weeks is on the Eclipse to Alaska, my youngest will now been in the teen club, I'm sure he will have a blast.  On our last pre covid cruise we took him to Hawaii and he was always up and ready to go to club.  Not too many kids on that cruise as school was still in. My wife met a lady who was not having fun with her 10yr old son.  A few days before the end of the cruise he tried out the club and it was a game changer for both of them

Sign them up right away.  Lots to do.  The 13yr old will have lots of fun at the teen club, dance parties and stuff.  Also have the kids pack some swim wear.  I know Alaska is not really a pool cruise, but they set aside a few times for the kids to use the indoor adult pool, supervised of course. Also as far as electronics go, there is an arcade $$, and game consols in the teen area, but at least they won't be hidden in the cabin all day long.  Have fun, its a great cruise  

• 1 month later...

Alaska is great for kids - I'm sure they'll have a wonderful time!  Over the summer, there will be a lot of families on a celebrity cruise to Alaska, so they'll be fine.  Just take them to the kids club on the first night (or sign up night) so they can meet the other kids their age, and the 13 year old might prefer to wander the ship with their new friends or go to the teen club to meet the others.

Alaska shore excursions can get pricy, so just try to book directly with the providers and not the cruise ship.

Edited by kitkat343

• 1 month later...

@kitkat343 Thanks for all of this information. I will be cruising with my 9 year old grandson who only drinks milk? Where do I need to go to get out? One place on the website says I need to check him in and out, and another place says I don’t need to do that. What was your experience? Are there pool toys? I’m thinking about packing a pool tube. Did the kids eat in the MDR? Any other suggestions?

Just now, techteach said:

@kitkat343 Thanks for all of this information. I will be cruising with my 9 year old grandson who only drinks milk? Where do I need to go to get out? One place on the website says I need to check him in and out, and another place says I don’t need to do that. What was your experience? Are there pool toys? I’m thinking about packing a pool tube. Did the kids eat in the MDR? Any other suggestions?

We just got back from our cruise on Solstice to Alaska.  I had 6 kids with me , 14,13,12,11,9, and 8.

We were a group of 12.  We ate everynight in the main dining room.  The waiters were amazing...they took such great care of the kids.  Some nights they finished before us, and would head up to the 'Camp at sea".  The older kids loved it, made lots of friends and were all over the place.  The outdoor pools are heated so they were in them a bit, as well as the hot tubs.  The Camp at Sea was open every day from 9:00am - 10:00pm,  with some planned activities that lasted about 1 - 1 1/2 hours.  They had a small game room that was open all the time.  From 13-17 they could come and go as they pleased...did not have to sign in or out.  The younger kids could do the same, but they were supposed to sign themselves in and out so the counselors knew who was there.  Kids 6-9 had to be signed in and out by an adult....but after they got to know us, they allowed our teenages to sign them in.   The 'teens' had their own area....not sure what's in there.?? it was TEENS ONLY.   The kids said some of the stuff was 'lame', but they went anyway and had fun.  

The kids menu was limited in the dining room, so our kids ate most nights off the adult menu...a great time to try new foods.   We could not get chocolate milk anywhere on the ship.  The waiter/bar tenders all had hot chocolate, so the kids ordered that with ice and it worked.   White milk is most places.  By the time we left the ice cream area knew our kids by name!   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@itsanita I cannot say thank you enough for your wonderful post. I just got off of the phone with Celebrity and booked what I could. The only available excursions were in Ketchikan. No Whale viewing for us …I haven’t told him yet. How did your kids dress to eat in the MDR? I was going to buy him a couple of pairs of non-jeans. Should I quit worrying? Again - thank you very much for your wonderful post. Take Care —

Did you check with a whale watching excursion in Juneau?  We used Juneau Tours and Whale Watch.  We took the Juneau Whale Watch & Mendenhall Glacier Combo    reservations@juneauwhalewatch.com       

It was a perfect day with whale watching and then hiking to the waterfall and Glacier.  A very easy walk, about a mile round trip.  

As far as dressing.  The kids each brought a sport jacket and wore it with jeans and a polo like shirt on the 2 chic nights.  But that was not even needed.   Their parents just decided they wanted some pictures for their Christmas cards.    The only thing not allowed in the dining room at night were shorts.....not too many of them on this cruise anyway.   Some people did dress up, but most did not.  

Well if you're willing to put in some time, always see whales from the ship, though they are usually in the distance, not as exciting as a tour but still whales.

I'd say for a 9yr old a pair of non jeans or some nice new ones and a few polo style shirts will work just fine.  Just not a grubby old t shirt, though I have seen kids in them in the MDR.  Definitely take him to the MDR for the experience, if the menu does not appeal they will get him something, staff are great.

@itsanita and @lobsternight thanks for your responses. I went to another provider and found independent excursion offers. Some worked and some didn’t, but I think he’ll be happy. I ordered a couple of pairs of chinos and will go from there. Grubby t-shirt? Never. Considering I booked this yesterday I think we’re doing fine. I just need to relax and let him enjoy. Thanks again.