Explorer..Is there a night where cruisers are encouraged to 'dance' with waitstaff?

We'll soon be sailing Explorer of the Seas, (March 12, 7-day western,) but aren't sure yet if we'll visit Portifino's. Since we'll have 3 children with us (altogether, traveling with another family) we're looking forward to any 'surprises' in the dining rooms. We were on the Carnival Glory last year, and one night the waitstaff encouraged all cruisers to get up and dance around the dining room with them. Same thing happens on Disney's pirate night.

We want to be sure not to miss it, if indeed they do it. Does anyone have any info, as to what 'theme' night, if any?

Thank you!

On most RCI cruises I have been on, the waiters parade/sing twice on a seven-day cruise. I have never seen dancing with the "diners". The two evening performances are fun, but I don't think I would want people getting up and dancing. The dining rooms are beautiful and elegant, and IMHO, people getting up and dancing would take away from this ambience.

I have seen the waiters sing once and I was so embarrassed for them I wanted to disapeer. They clearly looked uncomfortable (not all of them). Our assistant asked me to "hide him" with a big smile (He was a hoot).

I wouldn't be too embarassed for the dining room staff. ;)

They dragged me kicking and screaming to the front of the staircase to help lead the macarana (sp?). There is no dance I hate more than the macarana. This is one thing I learned in college that I wish I could erase from by brain. It takes up valuable space.

For those you enjoy this kind of thing, it was the last night of the cruise 7-day eastern cruise back in Jan 04. I am sure the kiddies would think it was a lot of fun.

Marinda

In my humple opinion the Macarana should be outlawed. I detest going to weddings because near the end of the night every drunk in the place gets up and dances that stupid dance, don't even start me on the Electric Slide. Shudder!

In fact, with so many law suits flying around these days, RCI has a very strict non-fraternization policy for staff and crew. They used to have a Ladies' Night when all the officers had to be out and available for the ladies to dance with except if they had a doctor's excuse - the doctor was very busy that afternoon.

Not only is it awful to have the wait staff sing (I do support them when they do, they are such nice people), I never encourage singing for b/day or anniversary celebrations. Not only on cruise ships, but in any restaurant. It is embarassing for them (I've asked, they don't like it) and a celebration of that sort is personal. As a fellow diner, I really don't care to know about your birthday/anniversary, everyone has them, it's not a big deal.

I've had a lot of birthday celebrations in restaurants and I ask them not to sing, they thank me.

Have to admit, that although my family finds the "entertainment" by the Dining Room staff to be fun, we cannot stand all of the individual "happy birthday, happy anniversary, happy whatever" singing.

When the DR staff performs their general song or dance for the entire dining room, the cruisers have the choice to participate or just listen and it's over in a matter of five minutes.

But to have the waiters go to various tables around the DR singing several times per meal is too much! If it must be done at all, the ship should begin a birthday package and charge something like $50 for cakes and the birthday song. This would cutdown on the number of requests, especially the bogus ones where people just "say" it's someone's birthday to play with them.

Stepping down from soapbox and sliding it back under the desk....

You will be very happy to hear that the Macarena is no longer done as a part of the dining room celebrations. :D

We were just on the Serenade Feb 11 sailing. They still do the Macarena. We however "escaped" prior so as to not be included. Others willingly stood up to dance.

We were just on the Serenade Feb 11 sailing. They still do the Macarena. We however "escaped" prior so as to not be included. Others willingly stood up to dance.

I believe the Macarana is a form of mind control. It's the only way I can explain why I have seen, otherwise smart and engaging people, participating!

I have a friend who is a comic. He does not do this joke anymore (for obvious reasons), "In heaven every day is your birthday! In hell it's the same thing only you're at Chi Chi's"

I don't know but when I got off the Navigator Feb 18 they did the marcarena ?? the last nite. They also did a conga line around the dining room with the passengers.

That was what I was talking about. The conga line. It was a blast on DCL, and the conga line dance was fun too on Carnival. I can respect, though, that every cruise line is different, and I look forward to RCCL.

If we are supposed to be having a meal in a fine dining environment, we shouldn't have to have singing/dancing servers. We loathe that part of the "cruise dining" experience and wish they would do away with it. It doesn't make us tip any more or any less, especially because the servers have no choice.

beachchick

Archived