Live from the Jewel May 2-16, 2022

16 hours ago, fethiyeden said:

Loved your review. I looked forward to reading it everyday.

Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Alaska is on my bucket list but as we live in Turkey & work in tourism we have no time off in Summer.  

Alaska in the shoulder season (May and October) is just as great and sometimes even better than Alaska in July and August.  I hope you get to visit one day!

I’ve been to Turkey for just one day on an NCL cruise and would love to return and explore more of the history and food!

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 4:22 AM, sunkey1 said:

OMG, Yvonne, I have enjoyed your review so much! You seriously should think about writing a book. We're sailing on the Jewel next month and your review has made me even MORE excited, if that's possible. I did have one question, although with the butler service you had you may not know. On the daily it lists a service called SWIFT!, for having snacks and drinks delivered to your stateroom. I've not heard of this before and it sounds perfect given that we plan to spend so much time on our balcony enjoying the scenery. Would you have any idea if there was a charge for using SWIFT! and if so, how much? We'll certainly manage if we have to make drink/food runs but sure would be nice! 

Hi! We didn’t use Swift as we like to be out and about on the ship.  There is a charge but I don’t know how much.

23 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Was that - aerialists show ?

Flyadage by Gilles & Laure ?

Have a signed DVD from their act -

Really Outstanding presentation

FLYADAGE 001.jpg

Not the same aerialists.  Equally bendy I’m sure!

This review was delightful - useful reading for future cruisers to Alaska, beautiful photos, personable and humorous prose, a truly individual perspective that told it like it is but with a light touch and composed demeanour.

The world needs more teacher librarians 🙂

As you have done Alaska numerous times, presumably at different times of the year, would you recommend any particular time over the others?  We have Alaska on our list and have read many pros and cons but having read this review I think your opinion would be most valuable.

• Like 1

Hi @Muckyduckway 

Thanks for reading and thanks for your kind response!

I have been to Alaska in May, July and August and I’ve absolutely loved every cruise.  That’s why we keep going back: Alaska is stunning!

Our recent cruise was the most beautiful largely due to the snow.  There are pros and cons to traveling in different months.  On both our northbound trip and our southbound trip this year it was raining and so foggy for the days we cruised the Inside Passage in BC.  That was disappointing.  Another disadvantage to cruising in May is we didn’t get as close to the glaciers as we did in July and August due to ice and very cautious pilots onboard.

The best advice I can offer is to book a cruise when the time and price work best for you.  Alaska is a special place and you will enjoy it any month from May through October.  Dress in layers, pack waterproof footwear and be prepared for weather to possibly impact your plans and you’ll be fine.  

• Like 1

@YVRteacher just wanted to say thank you again for your amazing live review. We leave on the Jewel in 12 days and your review was so helpful. 

@Muckyduckway we have also cruised Alaska in May, June and August (2 times). We are considering adding a September cruise this year. The June cruise was really special for how it never really got dark as we cruised in mid June. We arrived by plane into Anchorage close to midnight and it was light outside.   You can’t go wrong anytime although I expect the October cruise may be colder and darker. We will cruise again in June in a few weeks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 8:50 AM, qsz06 said:

That's great! I'm sure you will see me in Moderno for breakfast. I am packing tonight and from reading your reports, I need to pack for colder and wetter weather than I was expecting.   

Do you have to be a certain room level or cruise level to go the Moderno for breakfast? I can't manage a Haven room but have been thinking moving up to a Suite with the butler service (have regular balcony now).  

Thank you for the info on breakfast locations.

You should write a blog. You are an excellent writer.  I'm not sailing until 2023 (May 29) but was supposed to so this sailing in 2021.  Have you thought about posting Vancouver tips - fav restaurants, what to see in the West Coast Departure section? I would love to know!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I know! I'm just saying we won't be arriving in Canada but leaving it. And the address is really "the sea"! But if someone cares then I know we must do it - will go to the business centre at the hotel in Vancouver.  Have just been told by the Hotel Captain Cook that once we reach Anchorage there are no restrictions or unnecessary online forms (or masks presumably). 

LOVED your review, pics and writing. I am tempted to book NCL Jewel as a followup to your raves and experiences. Full disclosure - I usually only cruise on another cruise line!

Here's a question for you - maybe loosely related to Vancouver...since I live here... RE: the expensive underwear...is it really THINX or was that KNIX??? I tried to see if you wrote any amendments to this...but haven't seen any yet! Thank you again for sharing your cruise with us. BTW I was also in Alaska - at the same time as you were - but, I was on a different ship. I also, never tire of Alaska cruising. Thanks again. Happy Summer to you, fellow YVRteacher@YVRteacher

2 hours ago, CruzeQueen2 said:

LOVED your review, pics and writing. I am tempted to book NCL Jewel as a followup to your raves and experiences. Full disclosure - I usually only cruise on another cruise line!

Here's a question for you - maybe loosely related to Vancouver...since I live here... RE: the expensive underwear...is it really THINX or was that KNIX??? I tried to see if you wrote any amendments to this...but haven't seen any yet! Thank you again for sharing your cruise with us. BTW I was also in Alaska - at the same time as you were - but, I was on a different ship. I also, never tire of Alaska cruising. Thanks again. Happy Summer to you, fellow YVRteacher@YVRteacher

Definitely THINX period underwear. 

Thanks for your kind comments!

Are you with the VSB? I am.

We are heading to Alaska again in 3 weeks with NCL but are leaving from Seattle this time because there is a crew member (bartender) on the Encore that we love.

3 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

We are heading to Alaska again in 3 weeks with NCL but are leaving from Seattle this time because there is a crew member (bartender) on the Encore that we love.

@YVRteacherFormerly with SD 43. Now retired. I booked myself back on the same ship from May, for a September sailing! Also have several favourite bartenders, and other staff onboard. Cruising works well for me - especially from our beautiful port city. Bon voyage. Enjoy your summer vacation- every cruise, every minute!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

@YVRteacherThank you for the clarification of the name brand THINX.  I have lost some items through the laundry services as well, so I understand  your stories- only too well!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@YVRteacher I thoroughly enjoyed your entire review, you are a fabulous writer. We will be on the Jewel in November and this will be our first cruise with NCL. We have been on 8 cruises - 6 cruises with Princess, including Alaska in May 2019. Our upcoming cruise will be the first time we've ever been on a charter cruise so anxious to see how that works. The Jewel will be the oldest ship and the smallest ship we have cruised on but after reading your review, I have no worries about it at all. Not sure if the staff is the same on charter cruises but I guess we'll find out. 

We enjoyed beautiful weather on our Alaska cruise as well and we were there mid-May. Thank you again for sharing your trip with us!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have read every review of yours that I can find, because they feel so personal and present - I have cruised with you.  I just booked a September 2023 cruise on the Jewel (right before an October drydock, so now I'm going to be wondering about the toileting situation.)  I've been nervous about the small ship - we usually go on the big ones - but I think it will be glorious!

We are going on the Seward to Vancouver portion - I chose it for the time in port and that it hits all the "must sees". . . now, to spend the next 11 months dreaming.  🙂

Hoping all is well with you and your Dad . . . and that you are able to cruise soon.

• Like 1

You’ll love Alaska in September!  If you’re on Instagram, I highly recommend following Jayleen and then booking a whale watching trip with her.  The photos she shared throughout September were stunning!

My dad and I will be on the Jewel for a back to back Alaskan cruise May 1-15, 2023.  After 11 years of him making the travel arrangements, I have taken over.  Apparently I didn’t do a very good job booking our upcoming trip because I booked a cabin on the wrong side of the ship where there is “too much water.”  I had to email the cruise consultant and switch cabins.  I did not tell her the reason!

• Haha 3