Miracle Balconies

SojChindo

Do the balconies on the Miracle have a lock? What type of lock is it? This may sound like a strange question, but it is our first time crusin' with a balcony and DH suffers from episodes of sleepwalking (sonambulism, to be medically correct). Last thing I want to do is wake up and watch him going overboard. :eek: Believe me, strange things have happened in the past.

As a result, I'll be looking to lock, double lock and move furniture in front of the door during the night. Any insights would be really appreciated. It it matters, we'll be in room 8271.

I believe there is a lock at the top of the door (mainly to be out of reach of children) but someone else will have to confirm that. I too have had these same concerns because my son has been a sleepwalker. He's 17 now and has msotly outgrown it but I still worried on our cruise when he was 14 and we were in a balcony cabin. This time my kids will have their own cabin but no balcony for them.

A bell? Hmmm... that's not a bad idea. An early detection system actually makes a bit of sense.

I told DH that I should tie it around his neck, but he didn't find that too funny. So maybe I'll stick to latching it onto the balcony door.

Got back from the Miracle on 2/19. Yes, there are double locks on the balcony doors. Like others here have replied, there is a slide lock on the upper part of the door and a turn lock--somewhat like a dead bolt--near the handle.

I don't know about your particular cabin but in 4169 there was also a 4 inch "lip" that you had to step up and over to exit onto the balcony. The doors were pretty heavy if it was windy and did not make for an easy exit. Nothing like opening a door in your house.

Hope this helps.

Nah, that's what the duct tape is for. Just duct tape him to the bed.;)

OMG!!! Heidi you and I have the same twisted mind set!!! :eek: I was just about to write this to you and low and behold!!! You said it first!!!

wasnt there someone who once said "Twisted minds think alike"??? :rolleyes:

OMG!!! Heidi you and I have the same twisted mind set!!! :eek: I was just about to write this to you and low and behold!!! You said it first!!!

wasnt there someone who once said "Twisted minds think alike"??? :rolleyes:

Twisted minds do think alike.

That was the big joke on our last cruise. We were all in the balcony cabin together and I said that I was going to duct tape Eric into the bed at night.;) I will admit tho, I did worry about it a bit. I had visions of him getting up in the night and deciding to go for a swim in that *big swimming pool* just off our balcony. Once when he was much younger I heard a noise in the middle of the night. I got up to check on him and found him at the back patio door and it was wide open and it was only about 15 degress outside.:eek: After that, we got alarms forall the doors. Thank goodness he has pretty much outgrown it. Now he mostly just talks in his sleep. I still wouldn't let the kids have their own balcony cabin tho.:rolleyes:

Do the balconies on the Miracle have a lock? What type of lock is it? This may sound like a strange question, but it is our first time crusin' with a balcony and DH suffers from episodes of sleepwalking (sonambulism, to be medically correct). Last thing I want to do is wake up and watch him going overboard. :eek: Believe me, strange things have happened in the past.

As a result, I'll be looking to lock, double lock and move furniture in front of the door during the night. Any insights would be really appreciated. It it matters, we'll be in room 8271.

Everyone who has posted is correct about the locks, also at Walmart they sell those buzzards that you can put on windows, doors etc for travelling ( I think they come 4 or 6 to a pack ) and you just attach them to a clean surface and the buzzard/bell goes off when the door or window opens. They are battery operated.

good Luck..

also at Walmart they sell those buzzards that you can put on windows' date=' doors etc for travelling ( I think they come 4 or 6 to a pack ) and you just attach them to a clean surface and the buzzard/bell goes off when the door or window opens. They are battery operated.

[/quote']

I bought these for my house after I read Helter Skelter and I was convinced I was next...Anyway, I am a light sleeper so I wasn't worried about them being loud enough. When I tried them out to see if they work (just in case :cool: ) I was surprised at how loud they actually are! So, if you are a heavy sleeper these should be enough to get you up! Plus, they are removable so you can keep them and take them on all of your cruises. :)

Wow, you have all been more than helpful -- especially when it comes to the bell and duct tape ideas. But now I'm not sure if I should duct tape the bell to him before I tape him to the bed or after... :confused:

Seriously, it's good to know that there are two locks and I love the idea about the buzzers. I'll check that out tomorrow! I think I'll be able to drink heavily and sleep well with those precautions in place. :D

Archived