Juneau Whale Watching tour options and timing and Glacier visit

familycruzinnewbie

We are cruising in July and in Juneau Wed July 27 from 12-8pm. I was just going to DIY Mendenhall Glacier but now thinking this may be a good port to do a whale watching excursion. Other ports are Ketchikan and Stika. Is late July a good time for this tour? Problem is I think some times and options may be booked. Juneau Whale Watch has a combo tour with a Glacier visit but only list 2:30 and 3:30pm start times. I don't know if this will leave us any time at the Glacier (they do list 1:30pm whale watch only tour. Harv and Marv only do a stop at a bridge overlooking the Glacier but I think the boat tour is longer and they have space at 2pm. I'm not sure about space on Jayleen's but that is whale watch only. Alaska tales has more space but does a 45min stop at the Glacier en route to the boat tour (and I haven't read much about them on here).  There are a few option with Royal Caribbean - but they are $, I think they are Gastineau but the rates I see are even more than when I link from their site to the Royal webpage. 

Looking for opinions of timing, tours, companies etc.  And if I do end up having to book a 2pm or 2:30pm tour what would you do beforehand? Thanks

We did the Juneau Whale Watch combo tour 3 years ago and it was excellent!  Saw LOTS of whales close up and saw a family of black bears and some super cute porcupines on the Mendenhall Glacier trail.  Got some amazing pictures!  I believe there are multiple transfers from Mendenhall back to downtown Juneau, so you can spend whatever amount of time you would like.  Before the excursion I would just take the time to do some souvenir shopping in Juneau.  They have some really good locally owned stores with very nice local art.

I contacted Juneau Whale watch and managed to book the 1:30pm tour. With the 2:30pm there would have been barely any time to spend at Mendenhall Glacier. With the 1:30pm tour, it may be close to 5pm before we get there (hopefully 4:30pm). I could possibly do the last shuttle at 6:30pm, but thinking we need to be back onboard by 7:30pm, so 6pm may be safer.   

We have an early morning whale watching trip with Harv and Marv. When we get off the boat at Auke Bay, we'll take a taxi to Mendenhall Glacier. Save 1 hour by not going back to the ship with the other whale watchers. Leave Mendenhall by 2 or so there and take the bus back to the ship, and stop by the fudge shop before getting back on ship by 3:30pm. At least that's the plan. We'll see how long it takes to get the taxi.