Wetsuit to snorkel?? Beginner needs help.

kcmom

We are going to Cozumel next month and have booked a tour with Eagle Ray Divers. After reading a few posts about jellyfish, I'm starting to panic a bit. We purchased our own prescription snorkel masks at a dive shop as we hope to snorkel again in the future! I mentioned to the owner of the dive shop that I was nervous about jellyfish, especially for my allergy-prone 13-year old son. The owner said that he really didn't think that they would be a problem in late March in Cozumel.

I mentioned to a friend who dives quite a bit that I wondered if I should purchase wet skins (I hope that's right) for added protection. She said that we would look like big idiots with suits on just to snorkel. So, I've come here for help. We have about a month before we leave.

kcmom

Kcmom,

You shouldn't have much of a jellyfish issue that time of year... The shortie wetsuit (short sleeve, knee length) is good for protection and bouyancy if your kids have floating issues.. It's not a life vest so don't confuse it but it gives you some floating ability.. You would not be looked at foolishly with a shorty wetsuit.. You might for a full wetsuit if snorkeling unless it was cold...lol... The shorty also gives you some cold protection... Not much but some.... However, with all that said, if floating isn't an issue and it's really warm but if you just want some environment protection, get a rash guard... It's like spandex and is both long sleeved or short sleeve.. It's thin, breathable and can prevent some sunburning... You can get shirts and shorts.... Hope that helps.......

I saw some kids wearing "rash guards" in Hawaii last year as sun protection in the pool. I told my DH that looked perfect for me to snorkel in -- I try to keep the sun off as much as possible and a T-shirt is not comfortable in the water for me. Plus I had read here on CC that the drift snorkel in Tahiti that I am planning in March/06 can be rough on the skin.

So I bought a long-sleeved rash guard and tried it on my Dec/05 cruise. Loved it so much I bought the matching shorts. I bought mine at DiversDirect in FLL area. But you can get online at diversdirect.com or snorkel-mart.com. Should be about $20-$25. And nobody will laugh -- they may become jealous though. :p

Another place to get sun protective clothing is http://www.sungrubbies.com A wet t-shirt is next to transparent as far as damaging UV rays are concerned, so it will offer next to no protection from the sun.

I would worry much less about jellies than I would about the sun. The sun is always there, and it is much stronger at that latitude, even if there are some clouds.

I bought my wife a 1mm thick Henderson wetsuit to wear while snorkeling. At first she didn't think she'd like it but has since changed her mind.

We just completed a 14 day cruise on the Sea Princess and she used her suit almost every day. While others got cold, she stayed warm. One day when I was scuba diving she spent 4 hours in the water snorkeling and never got chilled. While other got beat up on the rocks when entering/exiting the water, she did not. Two of our friends were nursing wounds from the waves knocking them into rocks. While others got sunburned, she did not - and she didn't have to wear sunscreen.

She's already planning on taking her wetsuit on our back-to-back cruises next year. BTW, she didn't look stupid using a wetsuit just for snorkeling. Lots of people do this, especially in Hawaii where the water temps are a little cooler.

Who cares if you look "stupid" snorkeling. Another big plus for 1mm wetsuit or lycra dive skin. Have you ever had a really bad sunburn on the backs of your knees? Hurts doesn't it? Lots of people get really burned snorkeling, long sleeves and long legs on a dive skin sure beat the blisters.

Kent

Who cares if you look "stupid" snorkeling. Another big plus for 1mm wetsuit or lycra dive skin. Have you ever had a really bad sunburn on the backs of your knees? Hurts doesn't it? Lots of people get really burned snorkeling, long sleeves and long legs on a dive skin sure beat the blisters.

Kent

Hi,

I agree. I don't know if it's because I'm a diver, or just getting old, but I love my 1mm wetsuit when I snorkel (I bring my dive mask, snorkel and dive fins as well). 'Course with my family I'm the resident life guard in the water with them (my wife won't go in the water without me) so it's important that I'm comfortable and attentive. :O) Actually, most people on the snorkel boat are jealous that I have the equipment as they have problems with fit, etc. with the loaned equipment from the boat.

Randall

Are these 1mm wetsuits short types? Do they take up much suitcase packing space or weight? Also do you wear them over bathing suits?

I know very little about wetsuits. But we're a little concerned about cold weather on some upcoming snorkeling - so I was looking into these a little.

Are these 1mm wetsuits short types? Do they take up much suitcase packing space or weight? Also do you wear them over bathing suits?

I know very little about wetsuits. But we're a little concerned about cold weather on some upcoming snorkeling - so I was looking into these a little.

Hi,

They come in shorties (short sleeve, short pant one piece) or regular which is long sleeve, long pant one piece (what I have). Since most people watched the olympics, they're very similar to what you might see a down hill skiier or bob sled driver might wear (without all the pretty designs). Mine folds into a size about that of a pull over shirt and they do go over a swimsuit (unless you don't like wearing a suit). Normally I slip mine over my suit just before I get in the water (and before I put on my fins :) ). As I said before I really like mine. You can order them through the internet (www.diversdirect.com is probably the place I order more of my stuff from than others) but many dive shops sell them. (look under the wetsuit sections). If you want something just a bit lighter, you can also look at Rash Guards. These are even thinner and come in separates if you just want a top to keep you warm and from those little nasties that sometimes sting in the water.

Let me know if you need anything else,

Randall

This question seems to come up this time of year. The thimble jellyfish are the issue. Didn't encounter any this month when we were there and there were a few in still waters in Cozumel late last April. There is a product outlined in the link below that you might try if you don't want to go the dive skin route. They make a version with sunscreen that you will need one way or another if your snorkeling.

http://www.safesea.net/whatitdoes.cfm?cfid=7066795&cftoken=29978211

Mike

Thanks everyone. I ordered rash guards today - top and shorts. It seemed silly to spend so much on prescription snorkel lenses and not go ahead and get a little extra protection from the jellyfish. The art teacher I mentioned in my first post emailed a picture of a huge box jellyfish to me. I know, I know - they're not in Cozumel......... :eek:

kcmom

If you do buy a wetsuit and take it with you, be careful about packing it in your suitcase. You'll want to avoid sharp creases in it as that will damage the neoprene. (the wetsuit fabric)

Lay it out in the bottom of your suitcase, load your case with your other things and then fold it over so that it is in the case, but not creased sharply.

Hope that makes sense!

D.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the infor. I planned to take my diveskin and my 3mm wetsuit as I am going in December on the Eastern Caribbean. I do have a Polartec wetsuit which is equal to that of a 2mm wetsuit I may take instead. And don't forget the underwater camera!

Thanks for the infor. I planned to take my diveskin and my 3mm wetsuit as I am going in December on the Eastern Caribbean. I do have a Polartec wetsuit which is equal to that of a 2mm wetsuit I may take instead. And don't forget the underwater camera!

Have to admit I'm becoming a woss when it comes to cold water. I'd rather put on my 2mm shorty and have people stare than jump in the water and get that cold rush filling (I'm getting older!). :)

Randall

• 3 weeks later...

I have what is called a polartec wetsuit which is eqivlant to a 2mm wetsuit but weights less. I may take that in place of the 3 and 1 mm wetsuit and take along the diveskin. Both will take up less room in the suitcase and will dry faster.

• 1 month later...

We decided not to buy and take wet suits. But we did buy long sleeve rash guards thinking this would help a little. We found some on a web site for about $20 each.

We did find the water at the snorkeling sites in Kona a bit cool, but think the rash guards helped a little - possibly a lot. Still seemed very cool on entering the water - but we seemed to stay a bit warmer over time (an hour or more) than we recall being on past snorkeling trips - even in warmer water.

I ordered what I thought was a plenty large size (a size or two larger than my normal clothing size) but tight over my less than slim and trim body. But the material was designed to stretch, and while it looked a little clingy out of the water seemed to work fine. In fact I'm not sure if it would have had the same small insulating effect if it had not been so clingy.

So if you debating if you need something to keep you warm, these might be a good option to help some.

A surfer's rash guard would be a good idea if for nothing other than sun protection. You can get a nasty burn on your back when snorkeling. Also a pack of SeaLice wipes. These will help with any stings you may get. But were there in March a couple of years ago and while I was diving with Eagle Ray, my wife and friends were snorkeling above me. No one saw any jellyfish.

Have a great time with Eagle Ray and tell Chellie that Mike in Pittsburgh sends his regards.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Archived